What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Combat Mold Issues With HEPA: The Inexpensive DIY Solution

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Remember "black lights" that made the concert posters glow? Is that the right spectrum of UV to kill mold/bacteria? Put one or three on the Hillbilly Hepa, right through the middle of the exit side (filter goes on suction side) of the box fan.

Just kidding OK, before someone goes off, cause I have a nice buzz. But it might help some.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Yes, running a fan/filter combo in the room will help clean the air. It'll definitely work better than no filtering. :)

The filter material is crazy expensive, yeah. A 14x20 from Wallyworld (3m ultra-allergy) is $20. Fortunately, the larger filters are only a few dollars more, so nice for cutting up and using with smaller filters. :)

I'm not familiar with this 3M propriety measurement system. However, as you move across the range, getting better and better, you eventually get to HEPA. There is non in this thread though. It's not $20 but I'm surprised how good that stuff actually is for that price. Many a virus would struggle to get through. Anything better would be pointless without introducing other clean room procedures.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My house 20x25 3M 1900 filter was about $19 at the foodmarket and $17 at Lowes, cause I got 5. It says it catches mold spores, bacteria, pollen, viruses, PM 2.5. It,s an exercise in futility in the house with me and the mutts, but there it is. At least the fan and ducting will be clean.

They have vacuum cleaner exhaust dust and ultrafine particles greyed out on the labeling, and there is a better grade available.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm not familiar with this 3M propriety measurement system. However, as you move across the range, getting better and better, you eventually get to HEPA. There is non in this thread though. It's not $20 but I'm surprised how good that stuff actually is for that price. Many a virus would struggle to get through. Anything better would be pointless without introducing other clean room procedures.

You're correct, the filters I use on my own plenums are not exactly HEPA, and barely rated to stop pollen and spores. They're sufficient for their needs though, unless cannabis viruses happen to be extra small? lol The 3M rating system is determined by MERV, the 2800 is MERV 14. (For another $30)

Was taking one apart today and again you're correct, these buggers are well engineered for $20.

teide

Veteran
Would pc fans be able to pull through these pollen filters? I would imagine those who are powerful enough to pull through carbon filters would also work on a pollen filter, maybe not a HEPA.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A lot depends on filter size. As it makes your intake more restrictive, the intake must be made bigger to supply the same air volume.

Douglas.Curtis

Would pc fans be able to pull through these pollen filters? I would imagine those who are powerful enough to pull through carbon filters would also work on a pollen filter, maybe not a HEPA.
Yes, even a regular 5v pc fan will work. The difficulty is in finding a small enough filter, or a reliable way to easily slice them up. Once done though, f-e is correct in using enough surface area. The larger the filter, the easier it is for a fan to pull air through it.

There's a metal mesh glued to the top and bottom, and the glue tears the filter when pulled apart. Find a way to disassemble it with the filter intact, and you'll be able to lay the filter material flat and/or cut to size.(Hot glue? perhaps heating it up would work?)

Hot glue would also make a good DIY installation seal. ;)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Simple filter pads, 4" square on all my intakes:

picture.php

Before and after. If you filter intake, then you win.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have recently bought a hepa filter to fit over my 30cmX25cm intake mesh window of my tent.
Plan is to put velcro strips on the tent and the frame of the filter and put it over the said intake, hotglueing the velcro to the tent and the other bit on the frame (and tossing it with the frame to be replaced at some point).
CC

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting. I know vacuums have a very strong suction, but how much force is needed for those filters? Someone needs to start making/selling pollen/spore/bug filters for the micro-grow industry. ;)

Chevy cHaze, I would look at a silicone instead of hot glue. It's a flexible surface, so the hot glue won't stick as well over time like a decent bead of silicone will. :)

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good advice Douglas, thanks.
Just thought I'll finally install it after reading this thread. You're right I do hope my fan is strong enough to pull through the filter, but I guess it should be ok! But equally important is that it can pull in all the fresh without sucking my tent walls in too much from them low pressure on the inside...

Biologist

Chunkypigs (or anyone else that wants to chime in), I'm making my own system right now with the UV light and catalyst thing. In an old thread, Jackmayoffer mentioned that he never got mold again after installing those, which is what prompted me to try it. Trying to figure out if I want hepa filtered air before it or not. Wouldn't the filter remove most of the spores before it even hits the UV light? I was going to use one of the Filtretes that say they filter out even bacteria and viruses so I don't know what I would be killing at that point, I guess the small portion that gets through the filter? Or should I just run it without a filter and try to kill it all?