What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why doesn't Ace do any Hawaiian cultivars?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Just curious. You guys have worked so many of the older landrace style genetics, so it seems like there should be an Ace Mowie Wowie or something. :dunno:

WelderDan

Veteran
Cannabis is not native to Hawaii. Cannabis was introduced, and hybridized. There are no "landrace" Hawaiian genetics.

Del_9_THC

No, I think WelderDan (and JudahsSceptre) was correct.
None of the Hawaiian varieties would have endemic to Hawaii, rather they were just cultivars of other landrace varieties. Also, to be a landrace, in your jargon, how long would those cultivars need to have been grown in Hawaii?.....The ones in Hawaii were largely grown by hippies and viet nam vets living in Hawaii, so that would be what, a few decades?....Is that long enough to become a landrace?

Treebeard

It's actually likely that Cannabis has been in the Hawaiian Islands since 1778 when Captain Cook arrived. Cook would have had Cannabis seed on board because of botanist Joseph Banks.

I

izzypog

Native and indigenous, both have the same meaning. Anything can become native to an area after a set amount of time. Plants can develop many generations in a short amount of time compared to animal life. Cannabis came from Asia, it has been distributed around the world, the development of cannabis has probably been way more subtle than we think. Mostly cannabis shares the same traits no matter what strain, until you get into terpenes, that is where variety comes from. I remember getting weed from Hawaii, it was very different from anything mainland. Good Vietnamese changes after a few generations when grown in the states, some of the stuff we smoke that we call hybrids are usually just a mixture, or more commonly a new type of strain that came from an older strain, or, a different terpene profile. At least that is what has been claimed. I do believe that there were all kinds of plantations, I am sure there may have been hemp, at some time or another.

W

Water-

There was a heavy erradication effort that began in the 80's using helicopters.

That is why Hawaii lost its old strains that had been growing there since the 60's.

many old growers were arrested

Jammal

Also its not like there is not great Hawaiian genetics available already...

SRS just try GH Hawaiian snow, like 11 cannabis cups,,,,Hawaiian X Laos

its been done to Death,,,,not gonna make something thats been perfected already better.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Also its not like there is not great Hawaiian genetics available already...

SRS just try GH Hawaiian snow, like 11 cannabis cups,,,,Hawaiian X Laos

its been done to Death,,,,not gonna make something thats been perfected already better.

Not that I don't agree with you or anything, but that's what people were saying about Pakistani/Chitral genetics before CBG/Ace released their PCK. I'm just saying, they rock the shit out of whatever they work on, so it seems like they should have some Polynesian Haze or Mahalo Kush or something. I'm just saying.

I didn't realize that those old school 60s Hawaiian cultivars were so rare these days. Dang. :(

I

izzypog

Not that I don't disagree with you or anything, but that's what people were saying about Pakistani/Chitral genetics before CBG/Ace released their PCK. I'm just saying, they rock the shit out of whatever they work on, so it seems like they should have some Polynesian Haze or Mahalo Kush or something. I'm just saying.

I didn't realize that those old school 60s Hawaiian cultivars were so rare these days. Dang. :(
It was a good question.

Jammal

Not that I don't disagree with you or anything, but that's what people were saying about Pakistani/Chitral genetics before CBG/Ace released their PCK. I'm just saying, they rock the shit out of whatever they work on, so it seems like they should have some Polynesian Haze or Mahalo Kush or something. I'm just saying.

There not,,,,I buy Mowi Wowi all the time at the local dispensary,,,SRS several companies have worked legit versions...

the thing is ...YOU HAVE TO GROW IT ON THE VOLCANIC HILL SIDES IN HAWAII to get the real thing.

right

The way I understand it , the American government eradicated local strains on those little islands with helicopters.

G

GatorGumbo

Yea, the US pretty much totally wiped out any cultivars they had. Hawaii sucks for weed in general if you ask me, too wet, too restrictive, and too expensive. I know some folks will disagree with me, but all the legit Hawaiian weed I had in Hawaii was bunk, same with Thai weed in Thailand. I think it's a cross between people just don't give a fuck and criminals looking for a buck, so they just crank out garbo final products. In any case, the eye for quality there is nearly blind well below the surface.

Not insulting Hawaii itself, just wouldn't care to get or grow my weeds there is all. Thailand sucked all over, no problem to be honest about that.

right

I had the mowwie wowie cut going around in Cali , it was ok but obviously had lots of afgani in it.

Last edited:

SurfdOut

Veteran
Cannabis grown correctly here will outshine pretty much anything. We have everything from deserts to rainforests and everything in between. It is this environment/strong sun that makes the strains turn out so good and as the plant adapts quickly to where she is grown when you take her out of here she is a shadow of her former self. No point looking to grow anything that has acclimated here for your room.

Hope you guys are all having a great day!

Cannabis grown correctly here will outshine pretty much anything. We have everything from deserts to rainforests and everything in between. It is this environment/strong sun that makes the strains turn out so good and as the plant adapts quickly to where she is grown when you take her out of here she is a shadow of her former self. No point looking to grow anything that has acclimated here for your room.

Hope you guys are all having a great day!

I may have asked you this before, but how do you dry and cure your weed? all the weed ive grown here has never gotten dry enough to properly smoke

troutman

Seed Whore
so o.g is landrace in cali? lol not how it works bruv

OG isn't ready yet to be called even an Heirloom. To qualify as an Heirloom I think it takes about 50 years.:tiphat:

To be called a Landrace, I think it has to be grown in a location for about 100 years.