What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

searching right strains for lifetime using

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
hey,

i'm searching good strains for daily using. i like to smoke it, vape it & eat it. i love enjoying the herb, not only just getting high.

but yes back to topic.

i'm looking day-time strain for depression, anxiety and panic attacks. my mental problems are not that bad anymore than in my past. so i think that thc doesn't make them worse. on the contrary because i can control it and remember moderation.

day: super silver haze?

i heard something like it's same as prespiction strain called bedrocan.

also i'm interested of pure sativas with malawi style cob curing. not going to do it right now but someday. hehe.

okay second strain i need for insomnia. couch-lock feeling with stoned bodyhigh i think. something pure indica or?

night: i don't know. maybe northern lights?

any suggestions ic's? thanks already!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pandoras Box for the daytime.
Wonderful lemon lime flavors & nice relaxing yet functional, euphoric smoke.

NL would be an excellent night time smoke.

burningfire

Veteran
I've had some good Sour Diesel that was a bit too psychoactive for a functional high and there's a bit of a comedown to it but it's a joy to smoke for sure.

I've had some great blue dream that just gave me a nice little energetic boost and bright world view that kept me going, the body load was minimal but a little tightness was felt.

GoatCheese

Veteran
People are different and i'm not a huge fan of Super Silver Haze, but i think it is too heavy for proper daytime smoke. Imo, the NL5 that's in it has boring lethargic stone. But sure some phenos could be nicer.

Me personally, i'd choose something that's not overly potent, happy and "transparent" as my daytime smoke, cause i don't like weed that is too stoney and mentally vivid (psychedelic) for day time use. I have bad sleeping disorder and on very bad period i have hard time focusing and my mind feels scattered, so i don't like psychedelic smokes at those times cause it makes focusing and functioning even harder. But maybe others like mentally more active weed, i dunno.

Mandala Seeds could have nice daytime smokes in their catalogue. I have grown Satori and Speed Queen and those were good for daytime for me.

I recommend you look into CBD-rich strains for your medicinal smokes. CBD in weed makes the effect more focused and calm and it takes some of the over powering edge away that usually comes with potent high-THC smokes.
The effect with CBD-rich weed is closer to traditional hashish (Moroccan etc.) than normal homegrown high-THC weed.
CBD moderated THC not the other aspects of the effect, so CBD-rich indicas will still feel stoney and CBD-rich sativas will have more high in the effect, so you can pick CBD-sativa hybrid for day time and a more stoned CBD-rich indica as your evening time smoke.

For night time CBD-rich indica i can recommend CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm.
For insomnia you want strains that have lots of myrcene in them, it's the stuff that makes weed couchlock/sleepy and CBD Critical Cure is quite good in that way. Not the most narcotic strain i have smoked, but once you fall asleep the CBD Cure seems to keep me in deep sleep better than any other strain i have tried.

I have only grown one CBD-rich sativa hybrid so far, CBD 3D from CBD Crew, but i wasn't too impressed with it and many plants started growing nanners in later part of blooming.

madalasatori

Veteran
I’ve spent a couple of years doing similar and I’ve whittled it down to amnesia during the day and and indica leaning OG Kush hybrid for night

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, Soma's Amnesia Haze sure is nice. Haven't grown it myself but i have smoked some in Amsterdam. Some cokmpanies have made reproduction seeds of Amnesia Haze and some spanish seed shop is selling bulk fem seeds of AH fairly cheap.

If anyone goes for Amnesia Haze be aware that there is also seeds on the market from Amnesia, which is a Super Silver Haze cut, but it's not related to Soma's AH. I have never smoked the SSH/Amnesia

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
hey,

i'm searching good strains for daily using. i like to smoke it, vape it & eat it. i love enjoying the herb, not only just getting high.

but yes back to topic.

i'm looking day-time strain for depression, anxiety and panic attacks. my mental problems are not that bad anymore than in my past. so i think that thc doesn't make them worse. on the contrary because i can control it and remember moderation.

day: super silver haze?

i heard something like it's same as prespiction strain called bedrocan.

also i'm interested of pure sativas with malawi style cob curing. not going to do it right now but someday. hehe.

okay second strain i need for insomnia. couch-lock feeling with stoned bodyhigh i think. something pure indica or?

night: i don't know. maybe northern lights?

any suggestions ic's? thanks already!
The majority (a good portion) of folks push for high THC, IMHO these are recreational users. Folks that want to medicate usually target strains high in CBD vice THC. Myself I can do without the THC. That being said, I also know that THC does play an important role in the healing process.

I've had this link for some time now... https://www.marijuanabreak.com/172-conditions-that-medical-marijuana-can-help-cure Another site I have done a ton of research from is https://www.leafly.com I created a matrix for my various ailments from their data.

Although retired... I simply do not like getting ripped during the day. I have a hard time to function, well perhaps not function but do not wish to spend my days "veging".

Although Gdp is a great Indica strain (grand daddy) for Insomnia and a few other things that ails us. I found Nl a little more mellow e.g not in your face as much, and couch lock not as predominant as Gdp. So it comes down to the mood I am in, which ride I wanna take. Don't get me wrong Gdp is great but IMO Nl wins by a nose. This all being said, different strains affect people differently. Gdp to my wife is a like a wake up pill vs a sleeping pill, weird!

Hope this helps :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
People are different and i'm not a huge fan of Super Silver Haze, but i think it is too heavy for proper daytime smoke. Imo, the NL5 that's in it has boring lethargic stone. But sure some phenos could be nicer.

Me personally, i'd choose something that's not overly potent, happy and "transparent" as my daytime smoke, cause i don't like weed that is too stoney and mentally vivid (psychedelic) for day time use. I have bad sleeping disorder and on very bad period i have hard time focusing and my mind feels scattered, so i don't like psychedelic smokes at those times cause it makes focusing and functioning even harder. But maybe others like mentally more active weed, i dunno.

Mandala Seeds could have nice daytime smokes in their catalogue. I have grown Satori and Speed Queen and those were good for daytime for me.

I recommend you look into CBD-rich strains for your medicinal smokes. CBD in weed makes the effect more focused and calm and it takes some of the over powering edge away that usually comes with potent high-THC smokes.
The effect with CBD-rich weed is closer to traditional hashish (Moroccan etc.) than normal homegrown high-THC weed.
CBD moderated THC not the other aspects of the effect, so CBD-rich indicas will still feel stoney and CBD-rich sativas will have more high in the effect, so you can pick CBD-sativa hybrid for day time and a more stoned CBD-rich indica as your evening time smoke....
I was able to secure some Lebanon seeds. I am looking fwd into growing them into the red Lebanese (mainly) interspersed with a blonde here and there. Blondes have more fun! :biggrin: It is going to be a fun experiment since I have never done it before (letting your trichomes turn to amber before collection. It is said that the longer we flower THC levels drop while CBD levels become higher/better/rounder/more pronounced etc... Since I am after medicine...

GoatCheese

Veteran
I was able to secure some Lebanon seeds. I am looking fwd into growing them into the red Lebanese (mainly) interspersed with a blonde here and there. Blondes have more fun! :biggrin: It is going to be a fun experiment since I have never done it before (letting your trichomes turn to amber before collection. It is said that the longer we flower THC levels drop while CBD levels become higher/better/rounder/more pronounced etc... Since I am after medicine...

Yea, i agree that it's good to have some THC in the smoke to get proper medication, how much THC is a personal thing.
My CBD Critical Cure keeper, i estimate, has around 7 -10% THC and up to 15% CBD. Very nice and potent meds. The effect is very much like smoking mid-grade super polm from Morocco.
--
I was also looking into some Lebanese from ACE awhile ago, but then i skipped it. Some plants from ACE's Leb looked like they originate from North India. I'm not a huge fan or N. Indian/Himalayan charas and i was afraid it's gonna shine thru in the effect thou the line seems to have many high-CBD plants in it.
With traditional hash cultivars some plants are high-THC with very little CBD, some high CBD with very little THC and some are inbetween, so to make authentic Leb smoke people should grow many-ish plants and mix the resin/flower of everyone of them and then smoke it.
--
The down side of letting plants go really late is that the taste suffers quite abit. Sure the smoke gets little more sedative, but i think it's better to have proper CBD-rich strain to begin with rather than trying to elevate CBD levels of modern high-THC indoor hybrids by harvesting them late.

I'm not sure how super amber they let the trichs go in Lebanon, rather it's the Yellow Leb that is harvested very early to keep the trichs quite clear. They also sun dry the plants which can effect the trich color after harvest, but i'm no hash expert.

I have smoked Leb only once in Amsterdam, i think it was the red.

Good luck with the Red Leb project.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
nice thanks for many replies. it's very hard to choose right ones. of course i can change them later if i don't like that much.

those offers sounds good after studying & searching. still receiving more suggestions! next project is going to couple months forward for some reasons (cops). so there is much time to find the strains.

scandinavia is getting alive, happy summer for everyone!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yea, i agree that it's good to have some THC in the smoke to get proper medication, how much THC is a personal thing.
I hear you good buddy. I have only returned to the bud since Jan after an hiatus of 30+ yrs. I am strictly a patient and I understand that my tolerance is perhaps not where it should be but, I am not interesting in riding it out. I no longer wish to be high. As time goes on, and my tolerance increases, I may re-visit what I am doing.

My CBD Critical Cure keeper, i estimate, has around 7 -10% THC and up to 15% CBD. Very nice and potent meds. The effect is very much like smoking mid-grade super polm from Morocco.
I may look into that. My Fav is AC/DC I could use that daily but... not the strain I need for diabetes.

--
I was also looking into some Lebanese from ACE awhile ago, but then i skipped it. Some plants from ACE's Leb looked like they originate from North India. I'm not a huge fan or N. Indian/Himalayan charas and i was afraid it's gonna shine thru in the effect thou the line seems to have many high-CBD plants in it.
With traditional hash cultivars some plants are high-THC with very little CBD, some high CBD with very little THC and some are inbetween, so to make authentic Leb smoke people should grow many-ish plants and mix the resin/flower of everyone of them and then smoke it.
... interesting. Would you call it false advertising?

--
The down side of letting plants go really late is that the taste suffers quite abit. Sure the smoke gets little more sedative, but i think it's better to have proper CBD-rich strain to begin with rather than trying to elevate CBD levels of modern high-THC indoor hybrids by harvesting them late.
Interesting observation. I am not really worried about taste, as it is a moot point for me. I ingest what I don't vape (e liquid). I was/am not interested in boosting CBD as much as I want to drop the THC. From my research it seems that is the way to go that, flowering too long results in dropping THC concentrations :) a win for me. That being said, outside of taste, is there anything else I should know about the downside of executing my plan?

My plan for next year is to grow out the entire seed pack. There should be a least one male in there. Allow that plant to mature and let it have sex with a lady (isolating the others of course). The one with the most promise. (not sure what that means at this stage LOL) I have 6 seeds. Out of those I would like to get at least 3 females, one as a brood mare LOL. The others... develop at least a blonde and a red and collect the seeds from the fertilized female.

I'm not sure how super amber they let the trichs go in Lebanon, rather it's the Yellow Leb that is harvested very early to keep the trichs quite clear. They also sun dry the plants which can effect the trich color after harvest, but i'm no hash expert.
... neither am I :)

I have smoked Leb only once in Amsterdam, i think it was the red.

Good luck with the Red Leb project.
I never smoked red Leb, but do remember the blonde. Don't we always remembers the blondes LOL. The other strain we search for black afghani, num, num. I once had what was coined "black African" Ooooooh, she was a dousy! Thanks :)

GoatCheese

Veteran
... interesting. Would you call it false advertising?
I wouldn't call it false advertizing cause the seeds were collected in Lebanon. I have seen similar looks in Leb and moroccan plants to some Nepali's, and Phylos Galaxy-site also have shown relation between Leb genetics and Nepali. ACE's Leb is leaning more to sativa side, IIRC, and to me some phenos share similar looks to N. Indian plants. I'm not claiming ACE's Leb genetics were taken from N. India to Lebanon fairly recently, i'm just saying they share somewhat similar looks to phenos of Manali i have seen. = not identical but shared similarities.
---
With many landraces or traditional cultivars there are many, many phenotypes in the population. As i wrote earlier, some may have lots of THC in them, some very little. There can also be hermie-plants among those. So when you have only few seeds at hand it can be a draw of luck what you will get.
With so few plants you could do an open polination, allowing every male flower with the females to make seeds, unless some of the males are noticeably shitty ofcource.
..then after smoking the females and finding the best one you could then focus on growing those seeds.
---
When i have taken some of my "THC only" plants very long in bloom thinking the smoke might get more sedative/narcotic to get some sleep meds, thou the effect became abit less "high" it was still quite potent stuff. So i do believe some of the THC will start breaking down but how much.
If you want little less THC in your meds, i think it would be better to look into THC/CBD-rich strains, cause the few times i flowered some plants very long, the THC was still more noticeable than in my CBD Critical Cure.

Most THC/ CBD-rich seed lines on the market doesn't seem to be very stable and there are many different phenotypes in a pack of seeds, so you kinda have to grow a few and look for keepers. So it is also with CBD Critical Cure, thou Barney's stated it has been stabilized more than many other seed lines on the market.

Here's a shitty photo of me CBD Critical Cure. It's a CBD version of Barney's Critical Kush = OG Kush x Critical Mass. It's very nice evening/sleep meds, might be a bit too stoney for some people during day time but it's still more clear and calm compared to THC-only indicas.
picture.php

-
-
-
@ wutwut
Hope you don't mind too much the off-topic chat. But maybe you pick some tips out of it as well.
One thing i can suggest regarding any strain you grow, as we have been chatting about harvesting later, you can also experiment with flowering times to find what harvest time of certain plants suit you the best.
Earlier harvest will usually deliver more up/high in the effect but sativas/Hazes can have more rushy effect when harvested early. Later harvest will make them more calm and sedative.
Some commercial growers, old timers, have suggested harvesting sativas abit later with about 50% amber trichs, while Indicas should be harvested a little earlier with around 30% amber trichs so that their effect won't get too narcotic.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
they say that ignorance is bliss but in this situtation of course growing tips are always welcome to here, hehe.

i remember something like that some sativas will never turn amber. sounds weird for me if you can't overflower them. is it just a myth?

actually off-topic question: is there any difference of herb effect between soil vs hydro? or led vs hps?

i really wan't to find right medicines for long-term use.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I wouldn't call it false advertizing cause the seeds were collected in Lebanon. I have seen similar looks in Leb and moroccan plants to some Nepali's, and Phylos Galaxy-site also have shown relation between Leb genetics and Nepali. ACE's Leb is leaning more to sativa side, IIRC, and to me some phenos share similar looks to N. Indian plants. I'm not claiming ACE's Leb genetics were taken from N. India to Lebanon fairly recently, i'm just saying they share somewhat similar looks to phenos of Manali i have seen. = not identical but shared similarities.
I'm new to all this and, I'll be damned if I can even sit at a table discussing landraces LOL.

---
With many landraces or traditional cultivars there are many, many phenotypes in the population. As i wrote earlier, some may have lots of THC in them, some very little. There can also be hermie-plants among those. So when you have only few seeds at hand it can be a draw of luck what you will get.
With so few plants you could do an open polination, allowing every male flower with the females to make seeds, unless some of the males are noticeably shitty ofcource.
..then after smoking the females and finding the best one you could then focus on growing those seeds.
Confucius says... Me confused. I thought folks didn't smoke the buds of birthing females?

---
When i have taken some of my "THC only" plants very long in bloom thinking the smoke might get more sedative/narcotic to get some sleep meds, thou the effect became abit less "high" it was still quite potent stuff. So i do believe some of the THC will start breaking down but how much.
Good Q. The comments I heard were from folks trying to extract the max potency (THC) possible. Never the other way around. But I will find out :), but it has to come from the current strain I have on hand.

If you want little less THC in your meds, i think it would be better to look into THC/CBD-rich strains, cause the few times i flowered some plants very long, the THC was still more noticeable than in my CBD Critical Cure.
... and that is what I am doing, Lebanese is a treat
smile.gif
. My strains:

• Gdp
  • Dutch Treat
  • Northern Lights
  • Harlequin
  • Skywalker
  • Blue Dream
What I really want to get my hands on is AC/DC. Although listed as an evening strain. I use it during the day, same as Skywalker (listed for Insomnia). Next is Ringo's gift and Stephen Hawkin's Kush. Got a lead on Ringo and Stephen but still looking for a reasonable AC/DC.

Most THC/ CBD-rich seed lines on the market doesn't seem to be very stable and there are many different phenotypes in a pack of seeds, so you kinda have to grow a few and look for keepers. So it is also with CBD Critical Cure, thou Barney's stated it has been stabilized more than many other seed lines on the market.
That was going to be a Q down the road but answered here :(

Here's a shitty photo of me CBD Critical Cure. It's a CBD version of Barney's Critical Kush = OG Kush x Critical Mass. It's very nice evening/sleep meds, might be a bit too stoney for some people during day time but it's still more clear and calm compared to THC-only indicas.
... wouldn't know, as I routed for high CBD strains from the beginning. Thanks for sharing :tiphat:

Happy Times

The majority (a good portion) of folks push for high THC, IMHO these are recreational users. Folks that want to medicate usually target strains high in CBD vice THC. Myself I can do without the THC. That being said, I also know that THC does play an important role in the healing process.

I've had this link for some time now... https://www.marijuanabreak.com/172-conditions-that-medical-marijuana-can-help-cure Another site I have done a ton of research from is https://www.leafly.com I created a matrix for my various ailments from their data.

Although retired... I simply do not like getting ripped during the day. I have a hard time to function, well perhaps not function but do not wish to spend my days "veging".

Although Gdp is a great Indica strain (grand daddy) for Insomnia and a few other things that ails us. I found Nl a little more mellow e.g not in your face as much, and couch lock not as predominant as Gdp. So it comes down to the mood I am in, which ride I wanna take. Don't get me wrong Gdp is great but IMO Nl wins by a nose. This all being said, different strains affect people differently. Gdp to my wife is a like a wake up pill vs a sleeping pill, weird!

Hope this helps :)

I was going to mention GDP for the insomnia and couch lock also

Here’s a good thread for sleepy time strains

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=340870

Happy Times

---
---

View Image

-
-
-
@ wutwut
Hope you don't mind too much the off-topic chat. But maybe you pick some tips out of it as well.
One thing i can suggest regarding any strain you grow, as we have been chatting about harvesting later, you can also experiment with flowering times to find what harvest time of certain plants suit you the best.
Earlier harvest will usually deliver more up/high in the effect but sativas/Hazes can have more rushy effect when harvested early. Later harvest will make them more calm and sedative.
Some commercial growers, old timers, have suggested harvesting sativas abit later with about 50% amber trichs, while Indicas should be harvested a little earlier with around 30% amber trichs so that their effect won't get too narcotic.

Looks like a nice yielder there

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
--
The down side of letting plants go really late is that the taste suffers quite a bit.

I can testify to that! I let an AE77XDeep Chunk go for almost twelve weeks, and though it looked TERRIFIC, all purple and shit, the smell of it made me want to yak.

Now that it's been curing in jars, the rank odor has lessened, but man, it really reeked!

I had another AE77XDC that went eight weeks, and it tasted great, so I chalk it up to the extra three weeks flowering time.

Latest posts

Latest posts