What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyboby know anything about hermetic compressors?

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
im talkin standard r134 hermetic refrigeration compressors. i converted a water cooler into a chiller and would like to know some specifics on the compressor like what size in hp and what these numbers mean. i got this from the website that my compressor was made but do not understand any of it.

once i compile enough info on it, i will do a complete how-to tutorial on it. its been up and running for several mos so far :woohoo:

when i do a search, i find people are using this particular comp(danfoss tl2,5f) in extreme pc cooling projects as well. im sure the larger models can be converted the same but we need to know what specs to look for. this could be an very inexpensive diy folks! :chin:

Last edited:

The Dopest

Veteran
thanks stonewall! does "evaporating temperature range -13 to 23" mean it will bring temps down 13 to 23 degrees below ambient? thats how im takin it. also do you know how many gallons it could possibly cool, like in comparisson to a 1/10 hp or somethin? stonewall, YOU ARE THE MAN!

peace!

Last edited:

stonewall

the evaporator temp. is the actual temperature of the refrigerant gas inside the low pressure evaporator section of the refrigerant circuit.

with an evaporator temp of 23* F it can remove 533 btu's/hour.

one btu is equal to raising or lowering the temp of one pound of water one degree.

The Dopest

Veteran
ok so i figure i have about 110lbs of water. using that formula, i get that it could remove about 5 degrees of heat? is that a per hour figure and if so what would be the most it could possibly drop the temps? maybe im not addin right cause the first day i hooked it up, i left it running while i slept. when i awoke the total 13gals had dropped from about 78 to around 62. i had to adjust it up immediatly. ever since the next day its been running smoothly at 67-70. thanks for the quik response Stonewall, knowledge IS power!

The Dopest

Veteran
ok i have researched the next nearest chiller and that is the familiar 1/10hp. it appears that most of them will pull about 100 gallons down 10 degrees or 30gals down 30deg. :chin: i understand a 1/12 is smaller than a 1/10 but only like 20% or so, right? :confused: even if this 1/12 would bring 100 gals down 7-8 degrees or 30 gals down 20-25 degrees this a great deal. the average 1/10 chiller costs over $300 smackers and you can pick up a water cooler for under a hundred, waaay less in the scratched and dented isle:yoinks: whos worried about the shell, you could easily find these dirty and not fit for drinking out of but once disassembled it is perfect for our needs! :joint:

stonewall

there is a big difference between a inline purpose built water chiller and a water bottle cooler in performance and efficiancy.

Yes that is 539 BTU's per hour removed under test conditions. As the evaporator temp gets lower the lower the capacity to remove heat gets. just look at the first chart on the second page.

Where did you get it? I'll be looking for the step by step thread.

Good Growing :sasmokin:

fuzygrowth

me too.... having several rezs means having several chillers which means spending way too much money, lets get your step by step pictorial going!

The Dopest

Veteran
aite, i have some shots. wait till american hotrod is off and i'll get started:wink: