What's new

Do plants get burned by organic nutes faster because of the Ammonia involved?

Bump, I'm following this! But my two cents are - Aside from MJ as a medicine, anything that is bad for the environment or people is better for what you are trying to do. Pesticides, asbestos, lead based paint, OIL based paint, leaded gas, hell even GMO's. They all have bad things about them, but they do awesome indispensable things.

I have no clue on the ammonia though.... But I will say this, I dumped old aquarium water in a mulch bed.... Bushes died that day.

TheMole

I remember reading that organic nutrients are more difficult for the plant to absorb and I would expect that to make it less likely to burn the roots.
Chemical fertilizers are more readily available. Whats the process of root burn anyway?

Granger2

Veteran
Bump, I'm following this! But my two cents are - Aside from MJ as a medicine, anything that is bad for the environment or people is better for what you are trying to do. Pesticides, asbestos, lead based paint, OIL based paint, leaded gas, hell even GMO's. They all have bad things about them, but they do awesome indispensable things.

I have no clue on the ammonia though.... But I will say this, I dumped old aquarium water in a mulch bed.... Bushes died that day.
Seriously?!? -granger

vostok

Veteran
I don't think I have ever seen a plant totally devastated by 'organic' nute burn...but as with others every second plant you see these days is burnt to some degree with man made ferts

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's complicated. Many problems in the infirmary probably involve ammonia metabolism in a way. Ammonium is not necessarily bad. I'm not a soil expert at all, but those who are have said that for other crops, 2 parts nitrate and 1 part ammonium can work better than either alone.

Here's a paper with some details - more complicated references exist.
http://docent.hogent.be/~fdbe129/amtox.pdf

I add sort-of-dolomite lime to my promix that already has some in it. Naturally existing bacteria convert the ammonium to nitrate when it's warm, but have the same pH lowering effect, so you still have to raise it. KOH is a good choice.

geoffo

I didnt know plants burn easier using organic nutes? I thought chem nutes caused it more as they push the chems into the plant, wanted or not. Organic nutes doesnt the plant take it more on demand? Or did you mean 'hot' manures like chicken shit, that causes burn easily
On the chemistry side look at the reactivity of what youre putting in. magnesium nitrate, potassium nitrate calcium nitrate are both much more reactive than their oxides. Nitrates in organics are what burns the plants, include urea - ammonical nitrogen its readily available.
Theres potassium n magnesium nitrates in the last boosts late in flower to replace the oxides given early/mid flower im trying to fathom out why not also have them earlier on?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
More plants have been culled pre harvest with soil grows than
the salts grows in my grow life, ten years+.

Plants in soil have a significant lag response in nute uptake.

If you mess up with salts the plant response is much quicker,
and you may have time for a correction, and salvage yield.

Incorrect uptake with a soil plant can be more difficult to correct.

Latest posts

Latest posts