What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wheat, not wheatgrass, as an SST?

J-Icky

Has anyone ever used wheat as an SST? I know they used wheat malt in the brewing industry but sadly cannot find anything about what enzymes it provides. Does anyone possibly know of a source for that info, what enzymes are in wheat malt?

Sadly I cannot source barley anywhere locally but one of the places I tried has Wheat seed for $0.60/lb so I grabbed 5 lbs. I know I can order barley online but prefer to source everything locally. I also know using too much barley malt can cause problems. I'm just hoping there is nothing in wheat malt(sprouts) that will hurt plants.

Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks.

J-Icky

I got the Wheat seeds for 60 cents a pound, sadly the only barley seeds I've found are already removed from their shell so they are useless for trying to sprout.

J-Icky

I want to source all my materials locally. Thankfully I have a few grow shops and feed stores within my driving range. I like to try and support my local economy so if I can't find it locally I'll either do without or find a suitable replacement.

Hopefully wheat will provide some benefits beyond what corn and alfalfa sprouts provide. I have a couple extra pepper plants in my garden to test them out on. So even though I won't be able to provide exactly what enzymes are there, I will keep everyone posted on how they do on those peppers. If everything goes good and I don't get any problems I will eventually try them on some cannabis come this winter.

J-Icky

Put half cup of the seeds in a jar and filled with water. Will leave them to soak for roughly 18-24 hrs. Then I'll drain and rinse them and leave them in the jar, rinsing once a day til they sprout.

So hopefully Sunday or Monday They will be ready to use on my pepper plants. Unfortunately there really isn't much for a "control" in this experiment but still gonna give it a go and will let everyone know how they compare to the pepper plants that won't be getting any.

Oh and I did manage to read something on google books,a free preview of a book, that says they have a couple different phosphorus related enzymes so they may be more useful for flowering. But again unfortunately I won't have any true controls so any reports I'll have will be nothing more than circumstantial. Just hoping that if I do show good results it will lead someone, more scientific, to do some real research into wheat malt teas for plants.

mintz

Has anyone ever used wheat as an SST? I know they used wheat malt in the brewing industry but sadly cannot find anything about what enzymes it provides. Does anyone possibly know of a source for that info, what enzymes are in wheat malt?

Sadly I cannot source barley anywhere locally but one of the places I tried has Wheat seed for $0.60/lb so I grabbed 5 lbs. I know I can order barley online but prefer to source everything locally. I also know using too much barley malt can cause problems. I'm just hoping there is nothing in wheat malt(sprouts) that will hurt plants.

Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks.

Try googling diastatic power of grains,did find some info on charts at a few different sites that might be useful

J-Icky

Everything I've read has said that wheat has nearly the same diastatic power of barley. SO I'm taking that as its "nearly" as good for our uses as barley. But sadly not much info out there on exactly what enzymes would be in a red wheat malt(the seeds I have are a red wheat).

h.h.

Veteran
All seed contains hormones. There are a few that we don't want to use. Oleander comes to mind. Other than that, I source them locally. Usually off of whatever is growing in my yard.

Latest posts

Latest posts