What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Only the Strong Survive

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I was off to a great start. I had an absolutely killer line up sprouted of Ace Seeds Malawi reg and fem, malawi x panama fem, violeta reg, Panama fem, panama haze fem, Tikal reg, Zamaldelica fem, Kali China fem, haze x kali china fem. I also had 1 of Soma's Amnesia Haze, a Sagarmatha Western Winds. As a special treat I had been gifted a 15 year old pack of and Paradise Seed's Sensi Stars and three of the 5 had germinated.

I'm surprised to discover that my lone Malawi just happens to have the prettiest floral notes. Its just started flowering so the scent will likely change. But right now it is a delightfully subtle fragrance.

Meanwhile, Malawi x Panama is in back right with the bright red petiole.

Front right is Kali Mist (sagarmatha's) the middle is Ace's Kali China (My favorite smoke) and on the left is my nicely behaved standard Malawi

Lovely Claude Hopper, thanks for starting a new diary and for keep exploring our catalog, excellent selection of strains! :yes:

I'm glad Kali China is still your favourite one ;)

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
epic, dark, windy and rainy - like real life

Indeed. But the stories of an inside grower - the attack of a mouse, the blow from a falling lamp- just can't compete with the grind of the guerrilla.

I miss those days, riding off on my bike, a metal detector as cover for my shovel. I was pretty safe on that bike. I was cloaked in the camouflage of being an older white man in a culture where the young and minorities are suspect. I remember my heart racing as I tried to slow my breathing as I tried to understand why the birds had stopped singing or what caused that deer to go crashing through. I miss the tricks. I miss the prize left as bait by my plants, a buck knife or a 10$ bill left as an indicator that someone had been visiting. I miss the thrill of the final days, cutting, listening, looking around, smelling of weed and sweat and triumph.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

orfeas

Veteran
Indeed. But the stories of an inside grower - the attack of a mouse, the blow from a falling lamp- just can't compete with the grind of the guerrilla.

I miss those days, riding off on my bike, a metal detector as cover for my shovel. I was pretty safe on that bike. I was cloaked in the camouflage of being an older white man in a culture where the young and minorities are suspect. I remember my heart racing as I tried to slow my breathing as I tried to understand why the birds had stopped singing or what caused that deer to go crashing through. I miss the tricks. I miss the prize left as bait by my plants, a buck knife or a 10$ bill left as an indicator that someone had been visiting. I miss the thrill of the final days, cutting, listening, looking around, smelling of weed and sweat and triumph.

View Image

View Image

View Image

Oh boy, those were the days! :biggrin: now time has warped and joints are agile no more, making a pact is not a option...yet the mind seems to be unscathed and unaffected by the steamroller of the time... :)

:tiphat:Orfeas

konopenko

Veteran
It sounds terrible bros, are you sure all is over, at what age? Im not that old to quit guerilla very soon. I think I still have 15/20 years ahead of me..I will be celebrating 35 in november :)

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
It sounds terrible bros, are you sure all is over, at what age? Im not that old to quit guerilla very soon. I think I still have 15/20 years ahead of me..I will be celebrating 35 in november :)

You should be good for another 20 or more. I'm packing 6 decades on my shoulders...but it wasn't as much time and broken joints, I could deal with aches and a bit of pain, it was my wife that made me give up my guerrilla

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE to grow under lights or in the garden. I was just daydreaming about the "good old days'

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Claude Hopper, Great thread my friend. I have never done a true gorilla grow outside. I've planted many seeds in hope that they mature for somebody else to find and enjoy. Or just wonder how the hell did that get planted in the mall atrium? I hope you have many years of fulfilling your passion for growing. Peace

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Seeds went into the peat on May 4. Plants are simply exploding now in their 5 gallon smart pots filled with promix coir and ocean forest.
picture.php

Im going to have to spread them out and fire up another lamp soon. What a joy of scents now that the blossoming is kicking in.
picture.php

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
It was time to add my 400 watt HPS. I now have the 600 watt and 400watt running. The room was rearranged for light coverage and air flow. The garden is about 6 x 6 feet

Front left is malawi x panama. To her right is the remarkably similar Western Wind.
picture.php

picture.php

I've got about .75 meter of headroom left. I think its going to work out

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Claude Hopper, I see you have mylar on your walls. How long does that last? Does it break down after a season or two or can it be used for several years? Just curious, Thanks for your thoughts. Peace

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Farmerlion,

I've had this roll for 3 or 4 years. It is thicker than regular mylar and is backed with black plastic. Its very tough and does not tear like unbacked mylar. I haven't noticed any degradation.

It does a good job reflecting light. But all that bouncing reflected light messes with my camera.

Malawi x Panama racing along:
picture.php

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Kali China starting to glisten with early dew:
picture.php

Not from Ace, Sagarmatha's WW, aka Kali Mist. getting frosty early
picture.php

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Panama Haze, a few weeks past a bad bout of ham handed LSTing. She's as wide as she is tall and she is getting pretty tall
picture.php

picture.php

For a completely different growing habit, a shot of my Kali China - untouched. She'll be a 4' column of bud before long
picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Claude Hopper,

Thanks for your update on the different strains.

The Malawi x Panama is flowering at a very good rhythm, and she seems to be happy with the feeding you are providing her.

The Panama Haze seems to show a bit of Nitrogen overfeeding. I would recommend you to flush her next time and to lower down a bit the EC levels in upcoming feedings for her, especially of Nitrogen.
Place her in a place where she gets as much light intensity as possible.

The Kali China is going to produce a huge main 'misil' :D I love her structure!

PD: Forgot to add, Western Winds used to be an excellent Haze hybrid 15-20 years ago (the same for Kali Mist), i'm curious to know your opinion about the current quality of the WW line nowadays.

Last edited:

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Dubi,

My thanks to you for the great variety and quality you provide and for your excellent growing advice. For the last five years 90% of my grows have been from Ace - and my grows have never been better.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Shadowsfall,

She's a beast. Very touchy on nutes. I'm running her in the same soil as the rest and she has done quite a bit of clawing. I tried flushing the pot a couple of times and hope that helps.

I got that P Haze a couple of years ago and finally planted it. I keep track by taking pics:
picture.php

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
This is what I love about this forum. (Ace) #35 posted by dubi, He takes the time to help out the grower. Many of us don't have anywhere near the experience dubi does. Yet everyone who reads this can see what dubi pointed out and learn from it. Thank you dubi.
Claude Hopper, Looking forward to seeing these young ladies turn into smoke reports. Peace

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
At just a third the size of her Ace companions, I often forget about my Sensi Star from very old seeds. She enjoys holding the space between my very thin leaved Panama Haze and the even thinner leaved Malawi:
picture.php

The Panama Haze is like an octopus, with big arms sprawling. The big stretch is over and she's settled back into making me flowers for my jars:
picture.php

This is a crappy picture. But you can see the Malawi x Panama in the left front and the Western Winds on the front right. They've been growing so much that I just had to boost their nitrogen. That Malawi x Panama is going to fill a lot of jars.

picture.php

My Western Wind top
picture.php