What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Re-rooting seedlings with damping off?

PakSamGyiShing

This may be a fool's errand, but here goes. Long story short, I'm wondering if it may be possible to save a plant with damping off, or another form of girdling, by re-rooting it above the wound. I also realize that this isn't the infirmary board, but since I'm growing in organic soil I'd rather seek out the experience and opinions of those folks who are already growing in a like manner. Now, the full story...

I'm up in Sonoma County, and I started some seedlings about 3-4 weeks ago for a small outdoor grow and up until now everything has been more or less OK. Not having a proper setup atm I've just been doing the best I can and treating my mj seedlings pretty much the same as the rest of my summer veggie starts, tomatoes and the like. I've been turning the lot of them out during the day to get sun on the porch, and bringing them all back in at night to stay warm. As a result of all this my mj seedlings of course stretched several inches but calmed down after that and have been pretty normal, though perhaps a bit floppier. This stretching could be my saving grace here, but we'll have to wait and see.

I planted all my seeds in at least partially reused soil that came from a conglomeration of different types of plants and individual mixes, none of them diseased. I believe I amended this used soil by half with a some FFOF I had left. The mix has both good drainage and moisture retention - getting neither soppy nor drying too quickly. I didn't use any of my own compost in this mix as I was trying to keep it nutrient light for the seed starting, but in hindsight this may have been to my detriment. I don't currently have any EWC, though my compost has been somewhat worm-worked since it's been sitting and started off as an aerobic pile. I didn't have any endo inoculum when I started the seedlings, but have since acquired some. I have another general purpose bacterial inoculant with Bacillus subtilis in it, that again in retrospect would have been good to use earlier. I hadn't used it yet partially because I was planning on inoculating with VAM endo when I potted the fellows up and knew that there could be some competition between the two.

So anyways things were going fine, I was able to water with various botanical teas and provide foliar sprays. We had some very nice weather and then this past week a cold rainy system moved through. All my plants had weathered a few lighter storms before and weren't out in any major rain, but the combination of conditions these last few days seems to have initiated some damping off.

A variety I picked up at a seed swap(that ironically the person was trying to breed to resist the weather here in West County) was the one most affected. None of these plants had begun to wilt, but I noticed that they had the tell-tale withering of the stems around the soil line. The plants of a commercial variety had varying degrees of infection, from none to a some, though none as severe as the seed swap variety.

So I figured I didn't have much to lose at this point and thought I'd try and see if I could get the most affected seedlings to re-root above the infection. From their stretch early on they all had several inches to work with above the soil line, so I figure that in some sense they're not that different than taking a clone. So the sort of attempt I'm making is to try and suppress the damping off fungus with beneficials, while trying to get the plant to re-root before it dies.

I re-potted the seed swap plants into taller pots, and they had OK-looking root systems for what it's worth. I spread the inoculum with the B. subtilis on all of the roots and portions of the stem with the damping off. I refilled using my compost, making sure to have the inoculum around the stem until the wound was buried. I then did the same thing to the top of the pot but using the VAM endo instead to try and help encourage rooting while also providing a beneficial to try and suppress the damping off. I then watered the plants in (I know too much moisture already but what else to do) using the rooting formula posted by ClackamasCootz in the first LOS Sticky - 1 oz. Ful-power, 2 oz. Aloe, 1 tsp Pro-Tekt per gallon. The plants now look like they're potted in to just below their cotyledons. We'll see how this works out.

For the commercial variety I didn't try to pot them up just yet since none of them appeared to be girdled. Instead I used the B. subtilis inoculum around the stem, covered with some compost, and wet them just a little with the rooting formula above. I'll keep them monitored if I need to intervene further.

I went about this in this manner since I know that although B. subtilis and Glomus spp. are compatible, the B. subtilis suppresses the Glomus from germinating and so shouldn't be applied to the same part of the plant at the same time. Although the bacterial inoculum may not necessarily be able to destroy the damping off (it doesn't have any Trichomonas in it) hopefully it will still be able to hold it off along with the organisms in the compost.

If anyone has any experience to share or advice for this experiment please feel free to chime in. Some of this headache would certainly have been spared had I been using more inoculums, whether the commercial preps or my own compost, and ideally EWC. This has been an unusually cold April, so maybe waiting to start seeds until much later would also have been advised =O

C'est la vie. :tiphat:

The Hermit

As soon as i see any signs of damping off, I water the seedlings with a weak chamomile tea and that seems to stops it in it's tracks.

Good luck with the experiment, I'm interested to hear if re-rooting the seedlings above the infection is effective or not.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A much simpler solution is to add more soil and stop top watering. Put the seedlings in a tray and bottom water.

I don't think you need to be foliar feeding or throwing any witches brews at them just yet. Let them be plants for awhile before the organic assault of foliar this and inocculant that.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ime once damping off sets in its over for that plant....

i'd suggest inocculating rooting media with trichoderma / VAM
once i started using beneficial microbes on my germination media my rate of damping off declined to nearly zero

PakSamGyiShing

As soon as i see any signs of damping off, I water the seedlings with a weak chamomile tea and that seems to stops it in it's tracks.

I saw some other posts that mentioned chamomile tea as well. I may give it a try for the ones still possibly salvageable without extreme intervention being required =O

Betterhaff

Veteran
A good step for prevention is not to re-use old soil or medium to sprout seeds. Also clean and sterilize your pots/trays. Once seedlings get well established they’re less susceptible to the damping off pathogens.

I agree with Avinash, once they got it they’re pretty much doomed. Wishing you luck with your trials.

PakSamGyiShing

A much simpler solution is to add more soil and stop top watering. Put the seedlings in a tray and bottom water.

I don't think you need to be foliar feeding or throwing any witches brews at them just yet. Let them be plants for awhile before the organic assault of foliar this and inocculant that.

The ceasing top watering is probably wise especially given the weather. I've been meaning to make some capillary beds for a number of different uses but haven't managed to go and get any sand for awhile. I've never had to deal with damping off in any of my gardening experience before, so this was a bit of a shock. All my other starts weathered the weather just fine =O

Perhaps you're right about the brews, but I feel it wasn't a major assault. I didn't begin until some sets of true leaves were starting so they were already in an active growth phase. However, watering with only botanical teas makes sense to me on an intuitive level, and not necessarily from the angle of pumping the plant as hard as possible. Life into Death into Life after all.

I will differ with you about inoculating early however, as in robust natural systems these sorts of symbiotic pairings are occurring right at germination - primordial fecundity and all that. Since as soon as you place a plant in a pot you've started a cycle of management you're responsible for you have to intervene on its behalf. Inoculating at germination is in this way the most ideal =O

I suppose I shouldn't pretend that inoculating at this point will have any benefit, but it was an intervention I felt like I'd try anyways :kitty:

PakSamGyiShing

ime once damping off sets in its over for that plant....

i'd suggest inocculating rooting media with trichoderma / VAM
once i started using beneficial microbes on my germination media my rate of damping off declined to nearly zero

Yeah, I know the prognosis so I figured I'd try some sort of Hail Mary and at least maybe have a chance of learning something new hahaha

Yeah I should have been a little more proactive with the beneficials. Leaving compost out of the mix was a bad idea as well. I was kind of relying on my media being at least alive enough already to suppress any disease organisms. Whoops. I know EWC can pretty much completely eliminate damping off, grey rot, and the rest of those nasties, even to the point of over powering them if they're forcibly inoculated into the media. Yay science, amirite?

PakSamGyiShing

A good step for prevention is not to re-use old soil or medium to sprout seeds. Also clean and sterilize your pots/trays. Once seedlings get well established they’re less susceptible to the damping off pathogens.

To my chagrin I know you're not supposed to use old soil for seedlings >_<* I've just never had any problems before with reamending any of it. I suppose some sort of remediation should be done for my pots and trays, but I'd figure inoculating them with beneficials, even Lacto bacillis, would be at least as effective as sterilization. I suppose this isn't sterilizing my soils, and isn't really fundamentally different than sterilizing my secateurs between trees, so I should be less fussy about it hahaha

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I mean is try to avoid always throwing something at the plant. I am not arguing the merits of inocculants individually.

I see many water organic additive/foliar schedules and wonder which day the plant just gets left alone. Water, a bit of food, clean air and light go a long way on their own.

Not specifically targeted at you, just something I see.. everyday.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've said it many times, make yourself a bubble cloner. Search in the hydro section. I've made them out of Rubbermaid containers and an aquarium pump and air stone.
Burn1

O

Orrie

Pak

If you must use old soil, I suggest sprinkling cinnamon powder and mixing it in next time.

it really is that simple.

Granger2

Veteran
I don't think there is the slightest chance that they will root by any method at that stage. Good luck. -granger

brown_thumb

One of my friends had a 100mm tall seedling rot at the base of the stock and topple over. This was due to poorly drained soil and overwatering. He transplanted to better soil and buried it up to the lowest leaves. He did nothing else except cut way back with watering. The seedling recuperated very well... never lost any leaves.

PakSamGyiShing

What I mean is try to avoid always throwing something at the plant. I am not arguing the merits of inocculants individually.

I see many water organic additive/foliar schedules and wonder which day the plant just gets left alone. Water, a bit of food, clean air and light go a long way on their own.

Not specifically targeted at you, just something I see.. everyday.

I get what you're saying Mikell. I can see how over management could turn into counter productive "helicopter growing" pretty easily.

PakSamGyiShing

Pak

If you must use old soil, I suggest sprinkling cinnamon powder and mixing it in next time.

it really is that simple.

Thanks Orrie, it seems a simple sort of precaution. I found a nice study looking at different herbs and herb-extracts for combating different damping off sorts of organisms and cinnamon was one of the heavy-hitters. The somewhat amazing thing is the level of efficacy in so many of them - http://www.plantprotection.pl/PDF/47(3)/JPPR_47(3)_05_El-Mougy_2.pdf

PakSamGyiShing

Success!

Success!

Nearly complete success anyways. Sorry for the lack of updates, things were touch and go on many levels over the last few months including multiple week+ trips out of town so I didn't know how any of this would pan out.

Firstly, my original panicked way of trying to get this re-rooting to work didn't, and do I ended up switching gears. At the stage the plants were in, the few plants from the seed swap I tried to bury and get to re-root along the stems just ended up having the infection spread up to the tops of the plants and killed them, so that was a flop.

Seeing as this tactic wasn't going to work, with the remaining plants of the Kali Mist what I ended up doing was using a 30x loupe to see how far the infection had spread up the elongated stems in order to clip them above that point in healthy tissue. I essentially took cuttings of my whole seedling plants and proceeded to try and get them to root. Again, I didn't have a proper set up to accomplish any rooting, but with a rigged up dome consisting of a frame and saran wrap, and some small plug trays of peat I tried my best. I soaked all the cuttings over night in aloe water and fulvic acid and put them in the peat plugs.

It took 2-3 weeks but I got 5 cuttings to root this way with no further intervention. I had 5 more which didn't root, 2 of which ended up dying of a second round of fungal infection. The weather has been miserable this year and it got very cold and wet again during the cutting process. Even the 5 that rooted right away almost seemed to be developing fungus problems but 4 of them pulled through very well. The 5th is growing and putting out roots, but is kinda stalled and seems funky so not sure what it's going to do ultimately.

The last 3 that didn't initially root I pulled out of the peat plugs and saw that not only did they not have any root tissue forming, but that it appeared as if the stems were infected/dying. In a Hail-Mary sort of move - mainly because I couldn't just give them up completely since they were still alive - I just pinched them off with my thumb nail above the soil line and stuffed the tops into a mix of probably peat, sand and compost (but for the life of me I don't recall exactly what it was). To my amazement they all rooted!

So out of the 10 seedlings of the KM, I manged to save 8 by re-rooting the seedlings. Rather amazing, and admittedly a lot of work to go through, but I don't have much ability to get more seeds so the effort was worth it. Funny thing too is that the etiolated stems probably made the experiment a success - without them IDK if I would have had enough wiggle room. Certainly in the future with this knowledge it wouldn't be as much of an issue were this damping off to happen again.

The first pic is from maybe a month ago. The second from maybe a week or so ago, maybe 2 weeks.

:dance013:

Attachments

• Weed 17 002 small.JPG
    Weed 17 002 small.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Weed 17 004 small.jpg
    Weed 17 004 small.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 10