What's new

Horse manure outdoor soil help ?

Dankwolf

I am pretty much broke for soil funds for this years out door so i was thinking of making a horse manure/native soil mix to use . i am trying to use ingredients that i all ready have .any input would be appreciated.

Native soil is the common eastern oregon sandy look.

horse manure is from a compost pile of 1 through 5 year old manure that is broke down nicely . horse's were feed alfalfa mainly but pile contains some hay from stall floors (15% or so). I can dig and only use 5 or so year old manure or only use 1 year old manure or both?

My thoughts so far are to mix

1 part native soil
1/2 part sunshine peatmoss.
1 part horse manure compost
1/3-1/2 part custom soil amendment ?

Custom soil amemdment recipe

2.5 cups grden lime ( buffer / cal-mag )
5 cups kelp meal ( 1-0.1-2 )
5 cups gandular humic acid ( no npk value )
5 cups neam seed meal ( 6-1-2 / pest detorant)
5 cups alfalfa meal ( 2.5-0.5-2.5 /growth hormone )
5 cups high phosphorus bat guano ( 0-7-0 )
1 medium bag/ part fine organic Diatomaceous earth ( calcium/ silicon / pest detorant/low k stabalizer )
1 bag/part .5 cu ft worm castings ( nitrogen/potash)
1 bag/part .5 cu ft ancient forest ( humus )
1 bag/part .5 cu ft mushroom compost ( beneficial fungi )
1/3 a 5 gallon bucket/part .5 cu ft chicken manure high in calcium (from my laying chickens ) also cotanins about 10% pine/ceder beding and about 10% fire place ash. ( npk diversity )

The final soil mix will be watered with high brix molasses and allowed to sit for at least 45 days .

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
That seems very strong to start with.

The chicken is the strongest. Compost and horse should be plenty to start.

When working with seedlings it's always helpful to add power later. I would also hold off on the ash unless it's from years old fire place outdoors.

Dankwolf

Recipe will fill 600+ gallon home made fabric pots in preperation for comming outdoor season . plants going into mix will be around 4 ft tall/ wide to 5ft tall / wide .and in 30 gallon pots .plants will also be conditiond to outdoor lighting in a green house prior to transplanting from 30 gallon potters to 600+ potters.

Reading back through recipe i also think chicken manuer might be to high so i will adjust the amount in amendment mix.

I am hoping to at least Doulbe my yield from last year . 300 gallon pot and 5.5 units.

Last edited:

MedResearcher

Veteran
I like your punctuation comment, agree fully!

Your mix looks really complete, not broke at all. I would keep the chicken in it. Better to add chicken early and let it cook then top dress with some hot chicken and burn your feeder roots.

30 gallon plants are already monsters I am sure they can take it.

Personally I don't really like feeding molasses straight into the dirt anymore. I prefer to use it in an AACT then feed the AACT to the soil. It is a bit more work, but I have just noticed a lot more consistent results.

Amazing how quickly an AACT will activate a hot pile. The molasses would surely activate it as well, although it will possible also activate the anaerobic bacteria. While the theory behind the AACT is that the aerobic condition in the tank allows the aerobic bacteria to out compete the anaerobic. Then adding such a high amount of aerobic bacteria to the soil they will out compete the bad ones.

Either way I am sure it will be great, excited to see some monsters.

Gl on the season,
Mr^^

Dankwolf

Well what was your dirt last year??

Last years SOIL/SOILESS mix had majore npk Deficiency that where a pain to correct/ partially correct with liquid base nutes.plant ate through all avaible npk's in augest and was vary root bound in the 300 gallon pot.
Ended up having to do lots of foiler feeding .

1 part native soil
1 part sunshing #4 ( peat base)
1/5 to 1/4 part amended mix

Feed with earth jucie bloom, grow, micro, catalyst and high brix when needed

Amended mix

5 cups garden lime
1 bag worm castings
1 bag perlite
5 cups bat poo high in nitrogen
5 cups bat poo high in Phosphorous

I am hoping not to use liquid fertlizer as much as last year . i dont care for the spicey/peppery flavor it imposes on tast and smell . i pick my npk sources carfully to enhance or complament the falvors and smells i want .

Easy7

Veteran
Ya those are big plants to start.

Out of curiosity what is your indoor starting amps? Without a heated greenhouse here plants are indoors until memorial day.

Dankwolf

Last year i started them under 400 watt hps and this ear they will be started under 1000 watt hps and 500 watt mh. I will put them out in the glass green house around may at roughly 2.5 ft × 2.5 ft n 5 gallon potts and transplanted to 30 gallon pots prior to moveing them to the the 600 + gallon pots some in june . then around the end of september i will biuled a green house covering the 4 big girls so there is no chance of storm damage and or so i can let them finish and swell properly.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
If you have any horse stables near you ask them. If they have manure piles that are a year or more old they are absolute goldmines. I've used straight composted horse manure in fabric pots and killed it outdoors. This was for vegetables but the growth rates and yields were just amazing.

-Funk

Dankwolf

If you have any horse stables near you ask them. If they have manure piles that are a year or more old they are absolute goldmines. I've used straight composted horse manure in fabric pots and killed it outdoors. This was for vegetables but the growth rates and yields were just amazing.

-Funk

The horse manure i have aviable is from my niabours horse stalls and is a pile of 1 through 5 years old manure and is well broke down.horses were feed mainaly alfalfa witch i heard was good .

Do you think i could ditch the peatmoss and just back off amendments and do just as good or better ?

G

Gr33nSanta

The horse manure i have aviable is from my niabours horse stalls and is a pile of 1 through 5 years old manure and is well broke down.horses were feed mainaly alfalfa witch i heard was good .

Do you think i could ditch the peatmoss and just back off amendments and do just as good or better ?

even fresh, horse shit is the shit. If its fresh I would use it as mulch, well, I would use it as mulch regardless. Horse shit by itself grows healthy plants, I love horse shit.

If you know where to find horseshit you know where to find red wigglers. Do not let the fact that most stables use de-wormers scare you away as they do not affect red wigglers.

My uncle used to use horse manure and said it was one of the softer manures available, something about a horses digestive system he told me, that was many years ago and he's now deceased so I can't ask... Anyway the last summer he was alive I gave him some clones of mother's finest from sensi seeds and he planted them outside in regular soil mixed with a few truckloads of horse manure and planted them in the backyard garden along with veggies and let me tell you I have rarely seen such a nice garden, everything was nice healthy and growing vigorously... The clones grew into bushes that were wider than tall something like 7 foot diameter bushes with stalks the size of beer bottles... We're in Québec so short seasons and usually less than predictable weather. Those clones were maybe 12 inches tall when he planted and we're about 5 feet tall 6-7 feet wide in early September, so I'm sure the horse manure was beneficial... Can't tell you how old the manure was, slightly composted I imagine.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Dankwolf - If you're using horse manure/compost you don't need peat moss. You can keep the amendments but I'd only apply them if the plants showed you they need something. The compost has all the good stuff in it.

-Funk

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
been using clean horse for yr's.................apply early winter and turn few times before planting........structure builder/worms food deluxe........also use oyster shell flower, kelp meal, 'p' seabird guano and non-gmo mustard seed meal................less is best especially with lr based sat's............

ganj on.........

Tyson010

I use 100% horse manure in my raised beds...but I do add some kelp meal..alfalfa meal..lime...and i also mix in some Espoma dry organic fert to get it activated again..the manure is 3 years old..my plants have never grown as good with using the manure compost...I use to spend alot on making a soil..and never got the results I have with just the manure compost..I bought 18 yards of it...this is my third year growing in it...I just ammend it each year..I like using the espoma dry orgaic fert to get it started...I dont use any thing like perlite as the compost is very airy an drains good..Ialso added red worms to the bed to help keep soil arerated an also makes its own castings just add some grass clippings for them to feed on..why do you think farmers spread manure on fields before planting..its a great thing for plants...it is so alive ..the Espoma has mycos an bact in it so its seeding the soil with fresh myco an bact...feed the soil and the soil will feed the plant...the end result is great..great taste...oil prod..loaded in trichs..and growth rate is off the charts..plus they are so healthy...also make your teas from it...and water it in an spray plants..they will love you..

h.h.

Veteran
Horses don't have a complex digestive system. Stuff just kind of goes right through them. Not a hot manure. When used fresh, it tends to harden up and doesn't take water well otherwise I haven't seen a burn from it. Seen good plants grown in less than a year old hs that was allowed to be worked over by worms beforehand. Long term use (7 years) of hs may result in excess magnesium. A little gypsum and irrigation should help.

Chicken manure is a lot hotter and should be used sparingly. Fresh manure mixed into the soil can produce undesirable conditions. While it will burn your feeder roots, it can be used as a top dress if used sparingly, very sparingly. A little sprinkle, like you would use salt on your food. In a 600 gallon pot, I would side dress, thus giving the roots a choice to grow into it or not. It can be buried in the top few inches of your soil, where most of the activity is going on. Too deep and it can cause problems, on top of the soil, you will lose nitrogen.

Dewormers, antibiotics are always a concern with manure. While the worms don't seem to mind, I find it hard to truly see it as an organic product. I find it mostly a personal decision where I would rather make use of a waste product than to adhere strictly to the organic ideology.

Popice

Horse manure is wonderful, my family would always just use it as a compost base, but can practically be used straight away. the fiber or carbon content can be higher, unlike other animals with a rumen. chicken like pig and other things like different meals always seem better to be composted first, better at breaking other things down than direct use. think like amendments for stages in building soil, as opposed to amendments for planting.
but whered things end up for the year?

B

Bongi

I used only horse manure compost as my only source of compost for my modified coots mix. Plants were transplanted to it few days ago and are loving it. I am not sure how long it was composted before I got it. It is product that is for sale here in Finland.

Latest posts

Latest posts