What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Khat: drug crop from East Africa!

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
The question is.....can you concentrate it down and make it a " real stimulant" ? LOL! Ya know like the salvia "resin" that's sold. I guess there's only one way to find out, haha!!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
The question is.....can you concentrate it down and make it a " real stimulant" ? LOL! Ya know like the salvia "resin" that's sold. I guess there's only one way to find out, haha!!

I've heard it called the coca leaf of Africa, so if the Africans applied some refining technology to the leaves then I guess they could have the cocaine of Africa?

D3pthCharg3

Moses, may I ask, was your cheek-full your own grow? If so...congrats..I feel it's quite a connection with nature to grow a plant, any plant, and have it alter our consciousness. We are the lucky ones, as we all know that feeling well on account of cannabis. It get's really interesting when we add others to the guest list. I commend you sir. To bad all our neighbors cannot feel such connections. Education is the key. You did it by opening this thread. Thanks for taking us to the Khat school.

Do folks find it addictive..or is it like coca leaf, pretty innocent until we turn it white?

Khat contains Cathine and Cathinone which are the main stimulants related to ephedrine but being ketones.

Never tried fresh khat but have tried some beta ketones. I'd say they can be likened to a cross between cocaine and amphetamine. Note that that is for some pure Cathinone chemicals. I'm sure chewing the fresh leaf is more similar to chewing coca but longer lasting.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Khat used to or still is available at most somali "shops" in the East End of London,,,,
very nasty stuff and many somalis have lost there lives usually suicide from khat psychosis,,,,,,
avoid at all costs or ask a somali,,,
allowed in England as not deemed a "social problem" unless they have changed the rules recently,,,,s2

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Moses, may I ask, was your cheek-full your own grow? If so...congrats..I feel it's quite a connection with nature to grow a plant, any plant, and have it alter our consciousness. We are the lucky ones, as we all know that feeling well on account of cannabis. It get's really interesting when we add others to the guest list. I commend you sir. To bad all our neighbors cannot feel such connections. Education is the key. You did it by opening this thread. Thanks for taking us to the Khat school.

Do folks find it addictive..or is it like coca leaf, pretty innocent until we turn it white?
Yes my own grow, I was gifted the plants and potted them up, didn't germinate the seed though so can't take all the credit. I was experimenting with it purely for fun. From some of the descriptions it sounds like curiosity may kill the... Khat!

Khat psychosis sounds heavy. I would like to know more about khat in general, info is not easy to come by!

R

Rox

Khat used to or still is available at most somali "shops" in the East End of London,,,,
very nasty stuff and many somalis have lost there lives usually suicide from khat psychosis,,,,,,
avoid at all costs or ask a somali,,,
allowed in England as not deemed a "social problem" unless they have changed the rules recently,,,,s2

It's ilegal since 2014 i think... I used to live in a Somali majority area and my neighbour invited me to a khat session once or twice...

It's just like mcat... Like you say a hybrid of coke and speed, gave me wicked rushes but keeping the leaf in my mouth was the hardest part as eventually i just wanted to be sick:laughing:

Hell of a buzz tho

Green Squall

Yes my own grow, I was gifted the plants and potted them up, didn't germinate the seed though so can't take all the credit. I was experimenting with it purely for fun. From some of the descriptions it sounds like curiosity may kill the... Khat!

Khat psychosis sounds heavy. I would like to know more about khat in general, info is not easy to come by!

Erowid should have what your looking for.
https://erowid.org/plants/khat/khat.shtml

earthwyrms

the saying, the dose makes the poison, seems to apply.

even one cup of coffee drunk too fast alot of times makes me feel like crap, with a head ache and tired comedown and growling and/or upset acid stomach. supposedly studies correlate people who drink 4 or more cups a day with increasing liver health for every cup past 4. that sounds rediculous, being that the biological breakdown product of caffience is a suspected mutagen, theobromine, but it makes people healthier and prevents cancer, say the studies' analyzers, supposedly. things are weird. when i drink 4 or more cups, i can get real wired and jibber jabber out loud about nothing and everything joking around ( i mean i do that by choice for an energy outlet), and i wonder how that stress can be healthy for me. so i guess khat's no big deal and some people take too much like two cheekfulls like chipmunks. people take d and l amphetamine under the brand name adderall and there's not much talk about that psychosis and increasing doses and amphetamine tolerance and lack of cessation and how the half life of the d-stereoisomer is 12hrs, out by 24hrs and the l-stereoisomer is13hrs and theoretically out by26hrs but people take it daily so there would be an unsafe buildup, a buildup of tolerance, an adaptive excretion, all of those, none of those, something else, and also XR extended release dumps small doses in every 5 or three hours or something, so good luck ever getting it out of the system, it's i guess meant to build tolerance and just hang out in your receptors i guess.

maybe the xanthine structure of caffeine and theobromine make it healthy because of the similarity in structure to base pairs and ATP. theobromine is in cacao.
there don't see, to be cacao studies. i haven't looked it up. maybe the interplay between the falling and rising caffeine to theobromine ratio in the body during metabolism makes a difference. maybe it's maybeline. or maybe it's good to give yourself some things like that to spur it to keep fiesty against mal-mutation.combined with cannabis to fight malignancy, maybe it's a coffee industry conspiracy, maybe not, haha

khat is also reportedly used by the sufi's in their dervish dances. also i never felt odder, in a stimulant manner than accidentally getting mercury poising, acute and progressive.

if you're into speedy, maybe you'll like this video, if you don't have a seizure
(but you maybe could get high for that)
it was meant to loop into itself so you could lose track of where the song was.
the yells were from an edit of one of the songs that was on the internet and is from the bands recording stuff it seems.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=03HYvDND0FT7T3hWOFJ3b1hrSFk
youtube needed a video over sound to upload but they pulled it down so it went to google drive :) :) :)

Last edited:

Gry

About ten years ago I had a chance to speak privately with the director of the LA county health dept.
I asked about khat. What I recollect :
Hundreds of pounds of it arrive daily through LAX. It has to be fresh cut.
It goes to small grocery stores and and restaurants all over the area.
It was not viewed as 'an issue'. It was being monitored.
That was ten years ago.

Latest posts

Latest posts