What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Fuckin' show-off:woohoo:

Whats wrong!? YOU have some of MY space!:biggrin:

I'm sorry but reading your initial post, I had concern for your dilemma... still do (GL w that) but then your last 2 pics.. I almost spit my coffee all over the computer... you have a BIG problem..

I believe D9 mentioned long ago that tap water with PPMs over 200 could cause imbalances (RO being best choice).. I've bumped the calcium ratio up to 1:.72, they loved it.. but those are my plants.. dont mess with the proven formula.. GL with the farm.

Speed of green

I will try to look for a whole house filter or something along those lines to reduce overall PPM's of the tap water.

Also ill stick to the 1:.67 ratio on the jacks and make minor adjustments to the overall e.c if the plants are looking hungry or overfed.

Im not too disappointed in this round, seeing how its my first run outdoors with the PPK and all the issues ive had, for a winter/late fall crop i think it will turn out decent. Got about a week left till chop.

Thirdtime

A lot of the nutrient issues might be related to over watering and under developed roots. I don't know enough to say what causing foxtailing or hermies. Is foxtailing bad?

Speed of green

A lot of the nutrient issues might be related to over watering and under developed roots. I don't know enough to say what causing foxtailing or hermies. Is foxtailing bad?

yeah youre on the right track, those two things definitely go hand in hand..

the overwatering was in the beginning of veg, the plants were 6" tall clones and had an under developed root system..

when the nutrient issues were happening the plants were 6' tall and well established in their pots.

I thought the initial nutrient issue may have been that i was feeding them too weak, seeing as the sun is a much more powerful lamp than what im used to growing under. And i may have been right, but instead of just upping the feed and keeping the ratio the same i changed the ratio and the overall E.C

tilopa

You can go to 3.5g on bottom, and a shorter wider bucket on top, I found a 4g tuff stuff flex short product S4-OR (OR=orange) for about $4 locally. That will knock close to a foot off height. Shorter veg time. Then scrog. I see a lot of people recommending not using 1kw DE unless you have 10ft ceilings because you need 3ft between light and plant.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
yeah youre on the right track, those two things definitely go hand in hand..

the overwatering was in the beginning of veg, the plants were 6" tall clones and had an under developed root system..

when the nutrient issues were happening the plants were 6' tall and well established in their pots.

I thought the initial nutrient issue may have been that i was feeding them too weak, seeing as the sun is a much more powerful lamp than what im used to growing under. And i may have been right, but instead of just upping the feed and keeping the ratio the same i changed the ratio and the overall E.C

i think this was the case with mine as well. the new replacements are looking prime though

U

Ununionized

When I was a kid some people having problems with air bubbles in lines, would stick a black nylon sewing thread through the last piece of tubing, and the reason it would stay in place,
is because nylon is naturally quite a bit harder than most other plastics, and the nylon sewing thread can just be dropped through the tube with a needle,

cut off, so there's some sticking out the ends a little,

then you just push it onto the fitting with the thread sticking between the fitting and tube.

The tiny nylon line deforms the tubing and/or fitting a tiny amount but the very regular surface of the nylon and the plastic conform together for a tight

low-pressure fit, that won't easily pull out.

You snip it off at the open end after trapping it between the fitting and the tubing as you push them together.

I never used them.

I was around the hobby/commercial green house business some when I was a kid and there were always books and people around explaining how they'd handled problems and I remember the nylon thread method.

Another method thrown together by people for low pressure is to melt or drill a hole in the end right after the last T, where the actual individual feedline leaves the main one - thread paracord through it and then hit it with a quick wrap of tape.
The paracord travels the length of the last section except right there next to the Tee where you've got it sticking out about 3/4ths of an inch and taped tightly.

Ostensibly I guess you should go so far as to get self vulcanizing, self-sealing type rubber tape for waterproofing electrical connections, throw some of that on, then wrap that with the electrical tape so all sealing is guaranteed.

It's been many years since I was in my parents' businesses so I don't remember what kind of conditions you can make them overcome.

Earlmarne

These freakin 12 inch drip rings suck. My roots ain't reaching out for nuthin. Gunna change em up here soon.
Getting lazy with the ppks. Skipping days checking on the girls. Had one showing under watering at 10 on every 30 min. Bumped em all up to 20 and she perked right up
Think I went to light on the mvp this round. Contemplating using some of these clay ball as top.

Speed of green

i was thinking of putting the rootballs in containers with some pond enzyme, the perlite will break down after a few runs, the mvp should be good indefinitely.

ill let you know how it works out.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
you guys reusing your turface mix?
Yes I let it dry out pull out all roots
large enough to grab and then fill the container with water and the old Turface, the dead Roots float to the top pour them out repeat until you're happy there's enough Roots gone. It's cheap enough but dumping old T, here in almost legal Florida is a PITA .. parinoia

Desert Hydro

Veteran
IMHO it isnt worth the time and trouble to break out on a screen and sift through.
After figuring out the cost of $6.50 pr/bucket, for me.

its more about the washing and rinsing of the dust. i hate that shit!! lol id rather pick out some roots than waste a ton of water washing dust away. pain in the ass :)

H

Huckster79

Im going to work my way through entire thread, but some outside this thread research i think is needed to fully understand this thread, unless im just not to it yet. But figured understanding that first woukd help me understand more the whys of your plumbing.

Is there another thread thats good dedicated to understanding the pwt In containers? Or a good source to understand how to calculate how to move it in different mediums and containers...?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Im going to work my way through entire thread, but some outside this thread research i think is needed to fully understand this thread, unless im just not to it yet. But figured understanding that first woukd help me understand more the whys of your plumbing.

Is there another thread thats good dedicated to understanding the pwt In containers? Or a good source to understand how to calculate how to move it in different mediums and containers...?
the pics have been removed but the 'Passive Plant Killer' thread does explain it, somewhere in there..

H

Huckster79

Ahhh..dammit....my buddy was showing me the ones you are describing. Couldn't enlarge the pic well enough on my phone. Wasn't even sure my question posted, as it wasn't showing until now that I refreshed the browser. Will be going back to grab those. Much appreciated good sir.

Peace.

So my goal is to get the pwt completly in the tail piece? Slightly below?

So i started right before the flip, so modified what i had, so girls are in straight coco, in a clothes hamper lined with weedblock fabric, similiar to how stoned trout does it. I added a drain tray to inside of the hamper with tail piece coming out of that, prob sits 3 to 4 inches above res water...

So i should raise my container a ways correct? Is that what im picking up on reading on this pwt? That if coco is 7 or 8 inches, i beleive Delta9 said,, that means i have a good 3 to 4" pwt i bottom of my container?

Im liking this set up but realize i still have a lot to learn on it! Going to be a fun adventure though, it makes all the sense in the world!

Harvested the Dark Helmet yesterday at 9 weeks.

picture.php