What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Lady

Humple W.

I have 12 of these beans on the way (along with 5 Southern Mountain Golden from Xtreme Seeds). I plan to start my Mexican Quest here, as they're cheap as chips, so if I fuck it up, I won't be too devastated.

Any pointers from those who've grown her? I would guess that she likes her nutes on the lighter side? I'll be growing 100% perlite hempy, for what it's worth. I'd much rather give them the organic treatment, but I can't grow in soil for the time being, so nutes it is (Mega Crop, more specifically).

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Common Denominator

Common Denominator

BreedWizard, I'm going to be brutally honest. I've grown Original Delicatessen seeds for years now. First Lady, Queen Mother, Edy, and so on. I have yet to have one plant that's anything like what you get each time.
If you're pride can handle some instruction we will see. Runts and mutants are very rare and generally a by product of environmental triggers. (Poor grow mediums, poor lighting, small pots, poor seed storage and germination techniques, temperature humidity and water issues, not to mention synthetic fertilizers being used and poorly used).

I have no doubt that several of these circumstances are being compounded in your growing techniques. Please consider not posting pictures of plants that aren't beneficial to the breeder/seed bank, unless you're asking for help.

Understanding that their growing environmental conditions are dialed in to each strain. When you have a plant that varies from the described genetic expectations. Look first at what you are doing. Can you honestly hold yourself accountable? 99% of the time it's not the genetics.

Peace farmerlion

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
One bad pic of my primera dama aka first Lady...
She don't look very early (and this is not a bad thing ;) )
picture.php

Breadwizard

All of my first lady seeds were started in fresh, good soil, and kept outdoors in the sun, in decent size pots to veg. I'm not the only one who has had this experience with this line, as you can see in this thread. Granted, I have only germed 6 seeds of First Lady, but have been quite happy with them, although it is clearly a very inbred line (part of why I got it), that was selfed into S-1's, so a lowering of vigor is to be expected.

I'm happy to take tips on my grow, as I'm still new to the indoor scene, and my indoor set-up is less than ideal. All my vegging on these were done under the sun, outdoors on my sunny patio. Some of these seeds showed mutations in these conditions. I cannot speak for any other odeli lines, as I've never run them, but I have been assured by others of their quality, and I am by no means disparaging the First Lady line, which I do enjoy, and have used it in a few personal crosses. Discounting it's quirks such as the krinkle leaf, which is noted by quite a few folks, seems like a misrepresentation. I would still suggest this line to folks who want an interesting old-school mexican heirloom line, which was passed by a important figure in the cannabis industry.

Last edited:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
For what it is worth,I had disappointing results getting mine to germinate.I will admit to using FF Light Warrior with extra perlite added for drainage.I put mine outside in the sun as well. The first one never broke soil surface at all.Then I tried another.It broke soil surface but never progressed past that.Same thing with the 3rd seed.The last 2 seeds I planted were showing short tails when they were planted.

I have a couple more seeds and will germinate those indoors,as I REALLY want to grow at least 1 out.

It may well have been my error,but I've never had this issue with any other cannabis seed.

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
I'd like to reiterate that I also had germination and growth issues with this strain. Simultaneously to growing this strain, I was growing 5 other 100% sativas (that is pretty much all I grow) same soil, same conditions all of these others came out just fine.

I myself would definitely take any issues to the seedbank and or breeder first in order to understand or resolve - but this case not quite as straight forward. The availability of this strain has been greatly reduced, it is now only offered in feminized form, Mario the breeder of Delicatessen is no longer at the helm. The seedbank I obtained these from no longer carries them. Who
else do we discuss these issues in this case than with our pothead friends?

I for one am grateful for BreadWizard's input, as well as for the rest of you that are being forthcoming, open and honest. I never saw any of your documentation of your grows/issues being in anyway trying to undermine RCC or Mario, but more of a caution to a potential issue we are noticing with a very old and inbred strain, and maybe only a particular batch of seeds. I am sure we all would have loved for there to have no issues with our grows (obviously) and that none of us are here to disparage anyone or anything, but rather to pass on what I consider valuable information to our weed loving community.

I have grown out 4 Delicatessen strains, or crosses with them, at least a dozen times, starting at least a dozen years ago. I love Lilly and am quite fond of QM and have never had any other issues with any of them. For me this strain, or more accurately this batch of seeds from this strain, was an anomaly, but also what I would expect from a very inbred and old line, those of which I have a fair amount of experience with. It would also not deter myself, from exploring these seeds again - with the caveat that I have more information to work with the next time around.

Cheers!

Humple W.

For what it's worth, my recent purchase of First Lady was backordered, and the seedbank said they were waiting on a restock from the breeder. The seeds have just shipped, after a 3 week delay. Could be a new batch, or it could be more of a previous batch, I suppose? In any case, I got a 12-pack, so hopefully I'll be able to find at least one strong specimen out of the lot. Probably won't be running these until the new year, but I'll try to remember to post my results here when I do!

Latest posts

Latest posts