What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Tom Hill

Veteran
i have a bunch of old seeds too but i want live cells to be restored to viable germplasm in return for my efforts.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Great we want them for sure.
-SamS

Hi Sam,I only just saw this thread as I've been away from IC and the web in general for a while again(usual reasons-I won't bore you). If you are interested I have more dead-collected seed's than I like to be reminded of TBH. I'm not back at my place until next week,but I will gladly sort through my pips then and let you know what's interesting:
I definitely have a bunch of African lines I collected(1 from Transkei I think you might find interesting especially),2 from Brazil,lots of Thai's and other Asian lines old and recent,1 oldie from Mysore and 1 from near Kerala,an Afghan family strain(sent to me) from '81 that's not germinated ever,a couple of old Jamaican lines.......There's other stuff too,I will message you when I have a better Idea and see if they are useful. JBo ;)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Well Tom,
To be honest we are not even trying to do that.
I have not even considered it.
We prefer to not have to grow any seeds, we just want dead seeds, to extract the DNA from, or a dry leaf as it is better for us to use.
The best is actually a fresh live leaf but by the time I get them in the post they are molding and unless someone hands me a fresh picked leaf I can put in a freezer immediately I don't want them.
So best is a dry leaf, next best a live seed, then a dead seed. We have not yet done male pollen, but will, and some resin samples from Kazakhstan that we will test the plants cells in with the resin for their DNA.
Sorry I can't help. If you have lots of dead seeds of any one variety send us one or two seed of each variety, that is all we need.
-SamS

i have a bunch of old seeds too but i want live cells to be restored to viable germplasm in return for my efforts.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
We have analyzed the first 1000 samples from the USA, mostly poly multi hybrids, I have collected another few hundred samples we have started to extract the DNA and analyze them. In a week or so we should have the first 1000 posted on a public www site.
I am much more interested in the landraces as that will help with the Cannabis family tree that will reveal Cannabis relationships and evolution. I am not so interested in the Bubba-Kush-OG hybrids and who bred them first, but for many others they do care, or they would like to confirm what they have is what they want.
-SamS

i am just now seeing this how is it going?

SpaceBros.

We have analyzed the first 1000 samples from the USA, mostly poly multi hybrids, I have collected another few hundred samples we have started to extract the DNA and analyze them. In a week or so we should have the first 1000 posted on a public www site.
I am much more interested in the landraces as that will help with the Cannabis family tree that will reveal Cannabis relationships and evolution. I am not so interested in the Bubba-Kush-OG hybrids and who bred them first, but for many others they do care, or they would like to confirm what they have is what they want.
-SamS

Cool. So how many chromosomes in Cannabis? And it's ploidy level, two I suppose? What frequency of samples have different ploidy levels? And monosomies and trisomies ? And how much heteroplasmy do you find in the samples tested? More importantly have you found the hypothetical locus A yet? Oh so many questions. You should probably just give me a job :p

Can't wait to see those results.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Tom,hope life's good.Just wondering is that possible now then....Not Sam doing it,but I'm just asking if the process is viable now? I too have a lot of seed that won't germ from lines no-one has and it would be a dream to get some of them back into the genepool :)

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Tom,hope life's good.Just wondering is that possible now then....Not Sam doing it,but I'm just asking if the process is viable now? I too have a lot of seed that won't germ from lines no-one has and it would be a dream to get some of them back into the genepool :)

It is absolutely doable being done and save those seeds brother they will live again!.

Tom Hill

Veteran
-SamS

I have some landrace seed sam right up this alley i will see that they get to you..

purple_man

Veteran
done know tomz :)

glad to see you back online...

@sams: could you please let ICMAG know, when the data goes online (thx alot in advance)??? also, i hope you guys stored unused "unviable" seeds, embryo rescue and in-vitro culture could prove VERY usefull if the sequenced line is one of the "building blocks which were lost"....

blessss

Tom Hill

Veteran
just anti up and pay the man ha? We owe him and his colleges and they'll likely do more for cannabis than we would with the same given opportunity.

purple_man

Veteran
i hope so for them ;)

as the wu tang clan would say: C.R.E.A.M ... one thing is for sure, lots of $ could be possibly generated with that kind of data

blessss

ps.: pay the man for what actually? he is doing the PR stunt "we will share the data with the public" so folks send in more stuff, and now we should pay for it??? screw that, no freaqin company ESPECIALLY not a "biotech" startup having sams involved in times like these is an act of kindness to mankind and the cannmunity, it's just a way to get payed, and stay on "top of the game"....

pps.: im stil more then glad that they are doing what they are doing, even if the data gets disclosed in 15 years or folks can get access via payment

Tom Hill

Veteran
if u really must have an answer then pay the man for the fuel he provided to burn the very flames on which this fire burns lol.. hey man u saw me try to get something in return ha? :) but i'll give anyway,, because just like u whether u know it or not,, we owe..

Tom Hill

Veteran
back away from it and tell me what exactly is possible for you to do purple man,? what you got a poster to donate to some museum and that is worth something? Are you fucking kidding me? These guys get shit done they been getting shit done for eons this is not Sam this is Sam and his colleges and i assure you there is no mother fucker in the world who has ever done or has plans to do anything better,, in-spite of what is going on inside their little monkey brains lol..