What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizae and fungi products comparision

Hello fellow gardeners. Wanted to look at the different mycorrhizae and fungi products and get some feedback from all of you on the different products out there and what is the best value for the money. So I started doing some research and looking at the best product for the money. Also some questions on using the products and the concentration of good bacteria in these products. So here is a quick list of some of the products and there pricing.

Hopefully with your help we can get some answers on these items and your feedback on results.

Powder form of Mycorrhizae and Fungi products

BioAg VAM 300 grams Endomycorrhizal Plant Root & Soil Inoculant $31.95
Beneficial Fungi 1 tsp per plant

ZHO Root Inoculant 1-Pound $69.42
Apply 1/4 teaspoon of zho twice during your grow cycle.
endomychorrizal and trichoderma fungi that naturally build a microbial system in and around plant roots.
ZHO contains special amino acids designed to intensify the rhizoidal activity that ZHO ignites.

Subculture M 200 Grams - - Mycorrhizal Root Inoculant $27.02
endo and ecto mycorrhizal fungi

SubCulture B 200g $36.75
fifty-two soil microorganism
blend of Bacilius, Streptomycetes, Actinoycetes, Psuedomonas and Trichoderma. SubCulture-B is a probiotic inoculum of beneficial microorganisms. blend of bacteria and trichoderma fungi.

Great White Premium Mycorrhizae 4 oz $32.23
Combination of mycorrhizae, bacteria, trichoderma

Endo Mycorrhizae (2 lb. package) $37.00
Mycorrhizal fungi
100,000 propagules/lb. - 4 species endo mycorrhizae
Glomus intraradicees, G Mosseae, G Aggregatun,G Etunicatum.

RTI Xtreme Gardening RT4402 Mykos, 2.2-Pound Bag $26.99
beneficial fungi that connects many of the eneficial microbes in the soil to host plants
1 strain mycorrhizae

Oregonism XL 1lb $44.01
endo/ecto-mycorrhizae, beneficial bacteria, and Trichoderma

Gnarly Roots 2oz Mycorrhizae Fungi $12.18
9 Premium Endo and Ecto Mycorrhizae
Endo's Glomus intraradices, G. mosseae, G. aggregatum, G. etunicatum: 10,000 prop./lb. each Ecto's Rhizopogon villosullus, R. luteolus, R. amylopogon, R.fulvigleba (2.5 million prop./lb. each), Pisolithus tinctorius (200 million prop./lb.)

Myke 1949312 Annual and Perennial Mycorrhiza Growth Supplement, 1/2-Quart $7.49
two main types of mycorrhizae: Endomycorrhizae associate with 80% of plants. Most deciduous trees and herbaceous plants Ectomycorrhizae associate with 5 to 7% of plants.

Nature's Solution Mycorrhizae (8 Oz) $18.95
6 Endomycorrhizae Species, 5 Ectomycorrhizae Species
endomycorrhizae: Glomus intraradices, G. mosseae, G. dussii, G. clarum, G. deserticola, G. microaggregatum, and also 5 ectomycorrhizae: Psolithus tinctorius, Rhizopogon villosullus, R. luteolus, R. amylopogon, R. fulvigleba.
1 Tablespoon per 10 Gallons of water or tea.

Liquid forms of Bacteria

EM-1 Microbial Inoculant 12 oz Liquid $25.00
Microorganisms: 1 million colony forming units/cc (units/ml), 1%: Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, Bacillus subtilis, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Rhodopseudomonas
palustris.
96% Water and 3% Molasses
1 ounce per gallon of water

SCD Bio Ag 32 0z $19.50
Nitrogen fixing bacteria microbes probiotics
four basic types of micro-organisms
fungi, bacteria, protozoa and nematodes. It is a live culture.
40 ccs (two tablespoons) to a gallon of water

Bokashi powder

ProBio MOTHER CULTURE $37.00
Microbial soil innoculant
13 strains of probiotic microbes
It is used for making Bokashi Bran Powder for composting.

As you can see the products vary in the quantities and the pricing. Some are way over priced for what you get and some are a lot less. Some only contain 1 type of mycor and some are a blend.

Please feel free to post any labs that supply the fungi and mycro that are not listed. Could not find the ones I know exist or the links but perhaps some of you will help. Look forward to your comments.

One last quick question, If you brew ACT do you even need these products? I thought about adding them in the bubblier to increase the populations. Thoughts....?

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
BioAG Vam is the only product I'd recommend. VAM includes seven species of endo-mycorrhizae with a heavy dose of the aggressive Glomus intraradices, It should also be noted that VAM contains only endo-mycorrhizae so growers aren’t wasting money on ectos that only associate with trees.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect is that VAM does not contain any Trichoderma which is cheap, the spore count for it in these mixes usually eclipses all the other organisms put together. Unlike endomycorrhizal fungi, Trichoderma requires no root contact to sprout and grow. In addition to this, its favorite food is other fungi...... guess what happens if your chosen product contains 10,000 spores per gram of Trichoderma and 100 spores per gram total of other fungal species.... think highlander.

The biology of mycorrhizas home page
Cultivating diversity underground for better yields above
USDA Research Project: DEVELOPMENT OF EFFICIENT AND PRACTICAL METHODS FOR PRODUCING ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI

HillBilly1

Veteran
I use Oregomism from Roots, It's good stuff.. I love Ricks Monster Grow
That shit is absolutely amazing stuff that veggie graden when I used it
Was all monsters , my Maters were almost as big as my MMJ haha
But I am really cheap and not a lot of places here to buy. I have used
Great White, it seems to work but not as well as Oregonism

Look up the Ricks Monster Grow and see what you think of it

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Only issue I see with Ricks Monster Grow is Trichoderma... And perhaps I should clarify.

Trichoderma is also a root/plant protector and there have been studies indicating that it enhances nutrient uptake.

There are also studies indicating it might take a long time for endomycorrhizal to effectively colonize roots...

It is very possible that the limited, yet positive, effects of trichoderma is all that is working effectively in the Ricks Monster Grow... I have no doubt of positive result with just about any endomycorrhizal product, however, I know the benefit of endomycorrhizal fungi is far superior, and more efficient, to the benefit of trichodermal fungi, and in all likelihood, the slowly propagating endomycorrhizal fungi are being eaten by the much faster propagating trichodermal fungi leaving you with no actual endomycorrhizal fungi at all.... but again, the trichodermal fungi are still beneficial... just not as much, and they take over like a mongol horde.

BioAG Vam is the only product I'd recommend. VAM includes seven species of endo-mycorrhizae with a heavy dose of the aggressive Glomus intraradices, It should also be noted that VAM contains only endo-mycorrhizae so growers aren’t wasting money on ectos that only associate with trees.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect is that VAM does not contain any Trichoderma which is cheap, the spore count for it in these mixes usually eclipses all the other organisms put together. Unlike endomycorrhizal fungi, Trichoderma requires no root contact to sprout and grow. In addition to this, its favorite food is other fungi...... guess what happens if your chosen product contains 10,000 spores per gram of Trichoderma and 100 spores per gram total of other fungal species.... think highlander.

The biology of mycorrhizas home page
Cultivating diversity underground for better yields above
USDA Research Project: DEVELOPMENT OF EFFICIENT AND PRACTICAL METHODS FOR PRODUCING ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI

Awesome post sea! I picked up this little bit of information as well. "there are only two known endomycorrhizal fungi species which colonize the roots of cannabis/hemp.

They are Glomus Intraradices and Glomus Mosseae."

Found it in another thread. Wonder if any lab's sell just these cultures. So many of the products out today just don't tell the real story.
http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/976433-mycorrhizal-fungi-myths-truths.html

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. Keep it going!!

Got this on the way. BioAg VAM Endomycorrhizal Plant Root & Soil InoculantBeneficial. See how it does on the next transplants.

I posted that link as another option. Please post any others that you have tried.
I'll try them when I get low on the BioAg. Do a comparision with 2 clones of the same strain and see which one does best.

h.h.

Veteran
Mycorrhizae fungi glomus intraradices 400g 1000 spores /g mycorrhiza mycorrhizal $24.88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16109853043...49&var=460205677075&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Mycorrhizal no longer listed.
Reply from the vender:
about the myco, yes i still have it but everything is moving to our new brand name so we take off the listings for few weeks till everything ready.
how much mycorrhiza you need?

- dylsupplies

He also has the Glomus mosseae with a claimed 800 spores/gram.

vapor

Veteran
i use myco-apply says on the package takes up to a year for full inoculation if you apply at correct rates....I reuse my soil over and over for years.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I have been using Dr Earth's Metabolic Transformer for the past few years--and rather affordable ($45 for pound jar), especially at the rate Milo Shammas instructed me to use, 1 gram per plant (5 gallon container), two weeks after transplanting (per our telephone conversation...BTW, Milo Shammas is aka Dr. Earth).

Propagules/cc
Non-Plant Food:
2860 Bacillus subtilis
2860 Bacillus megaterium
225 Azotobacter vinelandi
2860 Latobacillus acidophilus
1500 Rhizbium japonicum
150 Aspergillus oryaze

Mycorrhizae 2,331,740 viable mycorrhiazal propagules per cubic cm of:
Ectomycorrhizae
2,118,640 Pisolithus tinctorius
52,960 Rhizopogon villosuli
52,960 Rhizopogon luteolus
52,960 Rhizopogon amylopogon
52,960 Rhizopogon fulvigleba

Endodomycorrhizae (VAM)
420 Glomus intraradices
420 Glomus mosseae
420 Glomus aggregatum

Other ingredients: Aloe vera concentrate, yucca schidigera extract, kelp flour, seaweed extract, fish bone meal & earthworm castings.

From his literature--the ingredients include:
ProMoisture Hydrate® Arizona Aloe Vera – ProBiotic® Micronized Beneficial Soil Microbes & Mycorrhizae – Northern California Hemp Protein Powder – Brown Rice carbohydrates – Soy Flower Amino Acids – Norwegian Kelp Flower – Alaskan Seaweed Extract – Whole Wheat Carbohydrates – Wild Caught Deep Sea Fish Bone Meal – Extra Virgin Black Strap Kentucky Molasses – North Texas Yucca Extract – Ancient Lignite Humic Acids – Green-fed Earthworm Castings – North Dakota Mined Colloidal Soft Rock Phosphate – Utah Mined Potassium Sulfate & Wisconsin Whey Protein blended with 100% pure Love!

lol....blended with 100% pure love--I wonder if numerology played any role for the quantities of endo...420.:biggrin: Me think so...after all, he is "420 savvy".

Cheers!

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive run caps bennies, gh plantsuccess, great white, and ghsub-b and sub-m and a few random others.
I just ordered more sub-b and m
although im not overly impressed with the m(i think gw is better)
the sub-b is just amazing for me in coco. And I also still use ogbiowar in teas....Cant give Cant give any amount ratios as i sprinkle what i feel is needed.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SCD Bio Ag 32 0z $19.50
Nitrogen fixing bacteria microbes probiotics
four basic types of micro-organisms
fungi, bacteria, protozoa and nematodes. It is a live culture.
40 ccs (two tablespoons) to a gallon of water

This is a fermented product and therefore nematodes and protozoa could not survive. I'm not sure where you got this information but here is the info concerning the analysis of Bio Ag.
http://www.scdprobiotics.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/COA_SCD Bio Ag.pdf

I have never seen a protozoa nor nematode in an EM type product and I've yet to see motile bacteria. I do see lots of yeast and lacto bacillus (which present as stationary strands) and what appears to be actinobacteria.

I have mixed a solution of AEM (fermented EM1) 50-50 with ACT and observed flagellates bursting. I do not think these 2 liquids are good combined unless a very minor amount is used. I do think they are good to use in tandem (e.g. AEM one or two weeks prior to ACT)

Endomycorrhizal spores are useless in ACT.

I finally tried the root, and nute, and I am surprised how much of a difference they make. Much larger buds earlier than usual. My 4 week is looking like my 6 week use to.

Very impressed with them thus far. The foliar has been my go to for a while now. I suppose I should have tried the root, and nute a lone time ago. Better late than never. :)