What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mushrooms popping up in soil??

FatherEarth

Veteran
Unless you are calling an apothecium a mushroom I wouldn't worry. Some apothecium are harmless some are bad. The first negative one that comes to mind is the fruiting body of Sclerotinia Sclerotiorum.

There are some ectomycorrhizas that form fruiting bodies. A good book to have around if your interested in mycorrhiza is pictured here:
attachment.php

Attachments

• book cover.jpg
    book cover.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 10

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
al-k-mist

That specific product, i.e. contains endo, ecto and a couple of Trichoderma strains and regardless of the name on the package was developed by Dr. Mike Amaranthus at Mycorrhizal Applications, Inc. in Grants Pass, Oregon. Some but not all are sold under the brand name of Myco Apply.

This specific product was intended to be used in the commercial nursery industry in Oregon & California and in that goal both endo and ecto strains were used because when nurseries batch out their potting soils having this product would give them a wide range of strains for annuals, perennials, saplings, etc. That is not an endorsement but just explaining why you're finding these huge lists on packages.

Companies like Down-To-Earth, Fox Farms, Advanced Nutrients, Roots (Aurora Innovations) and the rest of the pond scum buy their products from Dr. Mike and then rebadge it under their name with stupid claims to be slotted at grow stores and in particular the one that you asked about because there is more sh*t to put on the package making the consumer think that they're really getting something special - they are not. Just jacked up prices.

Here are the products from Dr. Mike and the prices in 'the real world' at the organic farm store in Portland:

All Purpose Soluble Endo/Ecto - $24.00 per lb.
Soluble Maxx EndoEcto + Bacteria (snerk) $34.00 per lb.
Endo Granulated - 60,000 propagules $380.00 for a 40 lb. master pack
Endo Micronized - 100,000 propagules $260.00 for a 20 lb. master pack
Endo/Ecto Granulated - 60,000 propagules $360.00 for a 40 lb. master pack
Endo/Ecto Micronized - 100,000 propagules $260.00 for a 20 lb. master pack
Endo Untrafine - 130,000 propagules $325.00 for a 20 lb. master pack​
Can you say scam?

CC

Last edited:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Here's the list of strains in the product that I use:

Glomus intraradices..........104propagules/gm
Glomus deserticola............. 9 propagules/gm
Glomus etunicatum............ 9 propagules/gm
Glomus clarum..................... 9 propagules/gm
Glomus claroidium.............. 9 propagules/gm
Glomus mosseae.................. 9 propagules/gm
Gigaspora albida................... 9 propagules/gm

All endomycorrhizal fungi, i.e. no ectomycorrhizal fungi or Trichoderma

CC

brickadobe

al-k-mist

That specific product...e was developed by Dr. Mike Amaranthus at Mycorrhizal Applications, Inc. in Grants Pass, Oregon.
CC

Good tip: thanks! Always looking for quality sources.

I don't know how this compares to Dr. Mike's but I like the myco from Paul Stamets (mentioned earlier in the thread) at fungi.com.

He has a general garden product here:

http://www.fungi.com/shop/fungi-for-healthy-gardens-and-garden-supplies.html

or just try fungi.com if you don't like links.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Ive tried quite a few different mycorrhiza mixtures/brands and the one that seems to have the most diversity and showed the best results for me in side by side trials is Myco Grow soluble from Fungi Perfecti. here is a list of the contents.

Contains concentrated spore mass of the following:

Endomycorrhizal fungi

Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus monosporum, Glomus clarum, Glomus deserticola, Gigaspora margarita, Gigaspora brasilianum, Gigaspora etunicatum

Ectomycorrhizal fungi

Rhizopogon villosullus, Rhizopogon luteolus, Rhizopogon amylopogon, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Pisolithus tinctorius, Scleroderma cepa, Scleroderma citrinum

Trichoderma

Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma konigii

Beneficial Bacteria

Bacillus subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus azotoformans, Bacillus megaterium, Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus pumlis, Bacillus thuringiensis, Bacillus stearothermiphilis, Paenibacillus polymyxa, Paenibacillus durum, Paenibacillus florescence, Paenibacillus gordonae, Azotobacter polymyxa, Azotobacter chroococcum, Sacchromyces cervisiae, Streptomyces griseues, Streptomyces lydicus, Pseudomonas aureofaceans, Deinococcus erythromyxa

http://fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-soluble-1-lb.html

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
brickadobe

Paul sells the products from Dr. Mike as well.....

Not too many 'secrets' out there except in a grow store where it's the only way to sell their gunk and junk by using terms like 'proprietary' and other drivel...

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
CC, why no Ecto?
FatherEarth

What Microbeman said. I also don't and wouldn't use any 'beneficial microbe' blend that included Trichoderma.

There is another strain, Ericoid mycorrhiza, that is showing up in a couple of commercial products for agriculture in the past year at pretty steep prices.

"Watch them come and watch them go"

CC

FatherEarth

Veteran
No Trichoderma??

No Trichoderma??

I also don't and wouldn't use any 'beneficial microbe' blend that included Trichoderma.

Whats wrong with using trichoderma?

Trichoderma harzianum controls:

Rhizoctonia solani (Basido Rot)

Sclerotium rolfsii
(Southern Blight, sometimes called southern stem and root rot)

and, to a lesser degree:
Macrophomina phaseolina( Charcoal Rot, "premature wilt")

and

Sclerotinia sclerotiorum

( Hemp Canker,cottony soft rot, watery soft rot, stem rot, white mould, and grey rot )

Trichoderma viride, fungi control pathogenic fungi, especially
Rhizoctonia solani.

Trichoderma lignorum controls Fusariurm species

Four cosmopolitan fungi, Trichoderma harzianum~Trichoderma Polysporum,Trichoderma virens, and Trichoderma viride, control Botrytis cinerea and other pathogens.

Seems like to me you would want to have some trichoderma in your soil.

All information sourced from this book:

"Hemp Diseases and Pests"
by
J.M. Mc Partland Assistant Professor, University of Vermont
Robert Connell Clarke
Projects Manager, International Hemp Organization Director, Pharmtex Consultants,Inc., San Diego, California
and
David Paul Watson Director, HortaPharm B.V . Chairman,International Hemp Organization,Amsterdam

I have this book in PDF form if you need a copy shoot me a PM.

FatherEarth

Veteran
CC,
Also please tell me why you dont like Ericoid mycorrhiza.

MM, Please link me to your sticky worthy thread that covers why. Id love to read it.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Trichoderma

Trichoderma

Trichoderma EPA summary

Attachments

• trichoderma_EPA_summary.pdf
    296.8 KB · Views: 44

'Boogieman'

I have different types of fungi growing in my soil, I added bioag VAM to the roots at transplant but like others said I don't think that product fruits.must of been from the homemade compost or the wood chips I added as a mulch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-22-19-53-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-22-19-53-42.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 9

Splatsters

Well I've just gone into my clone room and there's 4 mushrooms popped up 1 in each clone pot first I thought oh snap this can't be good glad I read the thread before I ripped them out 😉