What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nematodes! Good or Bad?

medicalmj

Veteran
EDIT: Are nematodes squirming on my roots something to be concerned about? I don't want to ignore a problem that'll ruin my crop down the road nor do I want to start drenching for no reason. Anyone been checking roots under 40x scope and seeing these guys?

I hope/assume they're free living (fungus eaters). But when I take a root sample and put it under my 40X stereoscope there are thousands of these things squirming around. If I add a few drops of solution to the root, they'e immediatly go into solution and swim/squirm about and eventually just die (maybe the heat from light). They move fast. The largest are maybe 1-2 mm with many at .05 mm or less.

I have had these before I started using ACT, which I make every 7-10 days. Top feed everything with it. I grow in three types:
Sunshione #4, 100% coco, and a DIY waterfarm - hydroton.

Anyone been taking root samples and looking under scope? Should I worry? The plants w greatest # have a very slight intervienal chlorisis like a cal/mag def, but not too pronounced. My hydro has no symptons, with coco the most. So I assumed I didn't prep coco correctly (coco noob). And the Sunshine is slight and barely noticable. Sprayed w cal/mag solution. So we'll see if it helps.

Anyone have any experience with nematodes. Should i be worried? Under 600x they don't appear to have a piercing stylet. But my 600x scope is not that great.

Thanks!

S

SeaMaiden

Bump.

First question: how do your plants look? I say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

O

OrganicOzarks

If you are fungus gnat larvae nematodes are bad. If you are trying to grow plants nematodes are good.

To much of anything can be a bad thing. However I have yet to have a problem using predatory nematodes in my indoor grows.

They keep the bugs down like a mofo. If I could give them a mini high 5 I would.
Nematode high 5's anyone? :)

S

Sat X RB

seems like there must be nematodes ... and then there are nematodes.

around my way they gall the roots and cause the plant to die.

easily fixed by watering with molasses diluted at one tablespoon per gal. or if yr lazy just sprinkle sugar and water in.

cheers!

medicalmj

Veteran
Bump.

First question: how do your plants look? I say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
Thanks! I do have a plant in Sunshine # 4 that has a cal/mag looking def. Also have same problem in coco but I didnt prep correctly. My DIY waterfarm/ebb & grow in hydroton look good tho. And they all came from same clone tray. I cant get to the hydo roots to see if theyre as numerous as the dirt/coco as the coco/dirt are in smaller pots and roots out bottom have many nematodes. The DIY hydro is in 5 gal buckets so might be couple more days b4 out the bottom.

Just wondering how common free living nematodes are? Must have been brought in with dirt from other stock or in sunshine (although thats soiless, does contain peat) I had soil mites at one point but theyre gone, vanished. And I couldnt kill em for anything. I am going to top feed all w my ACT that is now ready.

Fingers crossed!

medicalmj

Veteran
They're fast moving, squirmy little guys. Is that indicative of predatory, plant parasitic or free living? Not sure of length, guessed 1-2 mm, but that might be the largest. Maybe less than 1mm more accurate.

Definitly NOT fungus gnats. Had those guys before, which is why I routinely sample roots and put under scope.

bump. seeing what looks like small nematodes attached to roots and squirming around like crazy. culled the plant due to lack of vigor, general looking like shit. examined roots and found many of these. pretty much exactly like MMJ describes above.

really need to figure this one out. I am in no position to purchase a broad spectrum of predatory insects right now to solve problem. I need to identify and treat.

thanks,
skyhi

G

Gr33nSanta

bump. seeing what looks like small nematodes attached to roots and squirming around like crazy. culled the plant due to lack of vigor, general looking like shit. examined roots and found many of these. pretty much exactly like MMJ describes above.

really need to figure this one out. I am in no position to purchase a broad spectrum of predatory insects right now to solve problem. I need to identify and treat.

thanks,
skyhi

https://www.google.ca/search?q=spri...UICigB&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=Im575U80WgBNvM: you talking about those^? springtails?> they dont really affect your plants I dont think they are simply decomposer, you ll see a lot of them in your pots when you use unfinished compost but I do not think they are a problem.

medicalmj

Veteran

thanks,
skyhi
I still don't have an answer whether they are good, bad or benign. All I know is that as long as I grow in coco and in smart pots while using Great White along with BioRoot with my ferts the roots flourish and the plants finish without the yellowing indicative of a root pest. GL

G

Gr33nSanta

I still don't have an answer whether they are good, bad or benign. All I know is that as long as I grow in coco and in smart pots while using Great White along with BioRoot with my ferts the roots flourish and the plants finish without the yellowing indicative of a root pest. GL

there are good nematodes, and bad ones. most commonly known are the bad ones as they devastate food crops, but the good ones are key to soil health.

Best thing to do, and especially if you re-use you soil or do no till, is to apply beneficial nematodes once in a while, for cannabis you mostly want the nematodes steinernema feltiae, they take care of fungus gnats and other pests. If you use good compost they should be in there to start with.