What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's the "best" humic acid supplement?

DabSnob

Man, ive used so many forms of humic acid in my years of growing. So far i can tell you straight that Liquid Karma and Aptus startboost are the best ive personally used. Both contain L-amino acids as well.

C

CT Guy

Man, ive used so many forms of humic acid in my years of growing. So far i can tell you straight that Liquid Karma and Aptus startboost are the best ive personally used. Both contain L-amino acids as well.

Have you tried Tera Vita LC-10+7 or BioAg TM-7. I'd put either of those up against Liquid Karma any day of the week. If you really like liquid karma though, our local hydro shop has it on clearance (seattle area) for 13.50/quart or $35/gal. PM me and I can send you the shop.

DabSnob

Have you tried Tera Vita LC-10+7 or BioAg TM-7. I'd put either of those up against Liquid Karma any day of the week. If you really like liquid karma though, our local hydro shop has it on clearance (seattle area) for 13.50/quart or $35/gal. PM me and I can send you the shop.

I have not tried tera vita, looks like an excellent product though. 100% soluble and priced decently as well. maybe i will have to give it a try on my outdoor next season for a test run.

I like startboost the most so far because its both a Humic acid supplement and Root booster, with added beneficial bacteria, and amino acids. The 1ml/gal usage rates are awesome too, makes it easier to measure when using a huge rez.

blackcat54

My local farm supply gets their from these guys http://www.earthcrew.com/contents.htm I pay$11 for a pound and its dilution rate is 1tsp/5ml per 5gallons of water. (1ml per gallon)

I was told by someone that many nutrient companies use this particular humic in their supplements and nutrients. Ans some sell it exactly as it is just re branded.

I think you can get tera vita from simlicitea site
http://www.simplici-tea.com/humic_acid.htm

Cheers
gs

Which EarthCrew humic acid does your local farm supply carry? The 70% or the 95% product? I,m refering to powdered.

C

CT Guy

diamond nector by gh and the price is right too

I respectfully disagree....

Here's the label on it:
http://generalhydroponics.com/site/gh/docs/prod_labels/diamondnectar.pdf

.01% low molecular weight humic acids derived from leonardite.

Let's do a quick comparison with the SP85 from Tera Vita. It's 85% humic acid by content. 1/8th of a tsp per gal and a pound is a roughly 2 cups. There's 48 teaspoons in a cup, so that $10 will allow you to make up approx. 384 gallons of a liquid humic acids product.

General Hydroponics, Advanced Nutrients, Humboldt Nutrients, etc...the list goes on and on. All these companies are just trying to rip you off by paying for water and cheap nutrients that they mix themselves and then market and label the crap out of. I'm guess it costs them a few pennies per bottle for the actual product.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
and you drink coke and the cost of the bottle is more than the product ,so that means you drink generic cola because you get more for your money?i will stick with the real thing ,if ya get my drift,if i need 350 gals of humic acid ,well i get some of your stuff,lol,just how much does your product cost per quart ,mine is less than 20 bucks

DabSnob

wanta,
i go through 380 gallons of water during a full cycle easily. Its great when you can buy a single box/bottle of nutrients or additives without ever visiting the hydro shop once in a 3 month period and save a nice chunk in the process. If you dont like saving yourself money or using higher quality products thats definitely your choice 100%. After-all the rule is, "work whats best for you and your garden", just dont get butt hurt when someone tries to educate you and save you some cash.

C

Carlos Danger

This is a tenth of a percent compared to 85%. If Coke was watered down a thousand times over the generic stuff yeah I'd buy the generic stuff. Your soda comparison focusing on bottles is missing the point. It's the overall cost/gal and the fact you're being taken to the cleaners by the hydro stores. Same with silica. For the same amount of money I can mix about 1,500 gallons if I buy the actual agricultural product and if I buy Botanicare Silica Blast I can make 192. This shit doesn't go bad, there's no reason to pay through the teeth for inputs a pint and quart at a time from middlemen who provide no service but highway robbery.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ever heard the expression "the lottery is a tax on people w/ bad math skills?"

there could be other "hidden taxes"

idk?

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
well i stand corrected in my thinking again ,thats what so great about this place ,little hate and a lot of kind ness ,thanks again for setting me straight ,now that you blessed me with these pearls of wisdom how about those f2s ya got laying around,lol,thanks guys

C

Carlos Danger

Now I just need to get you to understand that Alex Jones is the hydro-store version of political pundits. :D

Seriously though, no reason to waste money, and especially no reason to waste money on guys who don't deserve it. Someone in the crew should do a cost analysis of all the organic and hydro products just to show how skewed this is. I really think this hydro store thing is a result of prohibition. If profit margins weren't so high because of prohibition, and if pot gardeners could go to legitimate garden centers for advice, these people wouldn't exist. When legalization comes you're gonna see all the bottle growers go out of business when they can't get a couple grand a pound.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I dont bash people who dont mind paying extra

I myself do not like to pay extra but for many people the cost to reward ratio is still the same even when they spend a few more dollars per harvest

I myself think there is a more important factor and that is quality of diluted (diluted with what? is it really nothing?) products and additional unnecessary costs to transport.

I want highest quality, not high quality but HIGHEST, and this is only obtained when you control the purity of the inputs and getting them in the highest quality requires either you manufacture them yourself or you know a reliable manufacturer, especially in this business.

that is why you see farmers who use sustainable organics to achieve the HIGHEST quality result get blown away at the price people pay. Because most of the time your paying more for less and of a lower quality and this all effects the end result.

Not that there aren't decent value add vendors out there or solutions, but there are better ways in the end when you have a comprehensive understanding of all the given variables.

In a way it is a bit like buying tv dinners or buying fresh produce and meat and making it yourself versus raising the cattle and growing the vegetables and making your own meal

in the end the most control requires the most effort which is part of the discussion no one put a value on

lloyd_christmas

Veteran
Seagreen kicks ass. Seems some experienced organic guys on here claim it is even better than teas they make themselves, seeing how good it works I wouldn't doubt it. $55 bottle treats 300 gallons too, super low application rate.

C

Carlos Danger

No farmer under real market conditions would pay what the hydro-store customers pay. It's a result of the huge profit margins illegal weed brings. These guys will not be able to survive in a $50/oz free world. Their business model is one where input costs don't matter.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
that is the point I am making and survival afterwards from that perspective is moot

even if i were growing solely for myself if cost were a direct correlation to quality then I would be spending more for higher quality, however thankfully with ROLS this is not the case.

but the real the point of paying more is moot to me unless there is a correlation to quality and opportunity cost

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BIOAG has a GREAT reputation! AS far as hydro prices, I can get my gear paid and shipped MUCH cheaper than local hydro store; one just has to know where to look.

R.Fortune

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now I just need to get you to understand that Alex Jones is the hydro-store version of political pundits. :D

Seriously though, no reason to waste money, and especially no reason to waste money on guys who don't deserve it. Someone in the crew should do a cost analysis of all the organic and hydro products just to show how skewed this is. I really think this hydro store thing is a result of prohibition. If profit margins weren't so high because of prohibition, and if pot gardeners could go to legitimate garden centers for advice, these people wouldn't exist. When legalization comes you're gonna see all the bottle growers go out of business when they can't get a couple grand a pound.

Hi Carlos Danger,
I agree with all you've said but here's a thought. I got to use Humic/Fulvic initially by buying the store bought AN's Ancient Earth. I had never used it before and although I had heard nothing but good about it, I really like to see for myself. So I went to the shop and bought a Litre. I used it - loved it! IMHO it's the single additive that has had the most dramatic effect on the health and appearance of my girls.
However, once I was due for a second bottle, I was already looking for cheaper 'bulk' alternatives. Once you learn a bit about it and how to use it, you're in a position to do the research and find that supplier. But if the hydro shop-bought product hadn't been there, I wouldn't have tried it!
Makes you think dude, I hate getting ripped off but we all got to start somewhere.
Stay safe & happy growing :tiphat: