What's new

On and off problems with a DWC Afgooey

spectrum90

How long has this problem been going on? On and off for around 7 weeks
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents) No
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...) DWC
What STRAIN are you growing? Afgooey
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) Clone
What is the age of your plants? 7 weeks
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) Hydroton from begining
How tall are the plants? 17in
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Veg
What Technique are you using? None
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.) Hydroton
What is the Water temperature? Between 73-76
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy? No slime, new roots white, older kinda brown (i think cause of algen extract)
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless) House and Garden Full Veg Line + Bush Master Microbe Brew+ Calmag
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? 100pmm of calmag to 0ppm water, for my 7th week just did the week 2 schedule nute change (6ml a+b) and still added 1/4 str. multizyme. Total was around 650ppm
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)-
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)-
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?-
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) Calmag to 100ppm, 1/2 str Microbe Brew, a+b+, ph adj, additives
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using 650
What is the pH of the "Tank"? Try to keep it at 5.8 but the ph rises by .2 every day
How often are you testing your pH/PPM/EC/TDS? Once to twice a day
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment? Yes
When was your last watering? -
What is your water temps? 73-76
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional) Last Thursday so 2 day ago
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? Every Week
What size bulb are you using? 1000W MH
How old is the bulbs you are using? 8 months
What is the distance to the canopy? 9in
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? Around 50-60
What is the canopy temperature? Below
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
73-78 Day And 66-70 Night
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) Extracting around 100 CFM than some days change it to 200 CFM
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Day/Night Themostat (day set at 75 night set at 70) one passive intake, one intake is conected to the ac controlled by the themostat. Exaust by carbon filter and inline centrifugal fan
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Yes
Is your water HARD or SOFT? Soft
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Distilled form kingsoopers (0ppm) or filtered through a declorinatar
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives? Filtered is 130ppm, distilled is 0ppm
Are you using water from a water softener? No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched Weekly leaf cleanup
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? The first two weeks Zero Tolarance with Neem Oil
Are plant's infected with pest's The first two weeks by spider mites but been long gone

Hey everyone. So this is my first grow but i do have a little knowledge on this topic from friends, research and books. Ive been having a problem with this one afgooey in my dwc that comes and goes away and comes back for no reason and i do most of the stuff the same way week by week. At first i thought it might be a ph problem since my ph rises daily but i keep it usually within 5.8-6.3. The other wierd part i noticed this time was that only half the plant is effected and other is not and after i noticed the first messed up leaf i took like 3 days to take over like a good portion of that half plant so it happen fairly quick. If anybody could give me an idea on what this is and why it keeps comming back i would love to know and appriciate it a lot. Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
Looks like you are having some problems with your roots. I can see pieces of roots floating in your reservoir, and new root growth at the very top. Kinda hard to see the older roots from that pic but my diagnosis is that you have root rot.

The good news is that you do have new root growth which is certainly positive. The bad news is those old roots are looking worthless.

Use your hands and gently break away the old roots that break off easily. Whatever doesn't break off easy is still good. Be thorough though you want to get all the rotted roots off. Some people cut'em. Then you're going to have to use something like H2O2 to kill off the rest of that rot.

Not an easy fight sometimes. Start searching there's lots of info on dealing with root rot on here.

One easy way that's sure to fix it and save your plant is to just transfer it into soil or coco. I've saved many plants that way when I realized I was losing that battle. They always come back. If you choose to battle the rot, you might be able to save it or you may lose it. Good luck.

spectrum90

Hey George
Thanks a lot for a clue what might be going on. The new root growth started when i introduced Multizyme to my res like 2 weeks ago. Isnt root exelurator, beneficial bacteria, and multizyme (by braking down dead roots) supposed to protect roots from rot ? I know my res temp are high. And there was a clump by the top where the new growth is that was black from like the algens it looked like.

Ill post more picture of roots here soon.

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
Sure thing. Post'em up I'll take a look. I think most will agree that's what's going on. Floating pieces of roots in your res is never good. You should look at all of your other plants this stuff tends to spread, so you you'll want to take preventative measures asap. Roots should be firm not soggy. Wash your hands after handling the infected one and if possible try to quarantine it.

spectrum90

Im sorry it took me so long to respond but ive been kinda bussy. After thinking about what you said dose sound like root rot kinda, im starting to get multiple deficiencys, growth stunned. I think it might be because of my temps in res (sometimes 75-76) and no airstone (House and Garden says not to use one with their products). But like i said before i thought roots exelurator was supposed to prevent all of this.

Please let me know if you need any more information, and id love to hear more input about this so i know that what im doing is the right thing to do

Heres a few pictures of the roots

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 7

TriqueHome

DWC without aeration? They are crazy man, throw some airstones in there, cut off the dead roots, and if possible bring that water temp down to 68-70* . Another thing that has helped me and may help you is adding in a little bleach (just a couple tsp) it helps fend off those unwanted bacteria that accelerate that rot.

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
I agree with Triquehome, I'd just chop off the long soggy mass below your new root growth, and then you're gonna need to put something in there to kill the bacteria, or else it will just keep coming back. There are many things people use... peroxide, Physan 20, bleach, etc. Read up before you add anything. Too much of any of those will kill.

You absolutely need to get an air pump and stone right away! It could be that easy to fix your problem. Roots need lots of oxygen. Without a pump the air in those buckets gets stale, and with warm temps on top of it that's a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Gotta keep it moving. Get one soon before they die.

Type in 'root rot' into youtube.com, there's lots of helpful videos there. Keep us updated. Good luck!

F

firefox

spectrum90 you gotta get airstone in them buckets .... im knew to this dwc too. but one thing is for sure dwc is all about air blasting onto them roots and im sure one or more of the experienced growers on the forum will clarify :ying:

spectrum90

Hey everybody
I agree that every DWC should have and airstone, thats why i was triped of when i H&G says to use a circulatory pump instead of an airstone casue of roots exelurator. But when i called them they said to throw one in, kinda dosent make sens lol maybe they should be on the same page.

I cut off all the brown roots and just left the new ones. Threw away my old res and pump, bought a new bucket, airstones and tubing. Spayed my roots of with peroxide 3% to get those roots clean inside the clump and dunked the whole net pot with hydroton. After that i drenched the roots how exel lg recomends and put the girl into a solution with no food to hopefully starve off the rest of the rot. For a week ill keep my plant in this mix
Medium str Duth Masters Zone, 11ml/galon 3% peroxide, 1/2 str silica, full str of Drip Clean. Everything phed to 5.8

Any further ideas or do you guys think i should be fine and add some light nuts in a week ?

Thanks for all the advice

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
Yeah!!! Those look sooo much better dude. I think your strategy is a good one just keep an eyeball on it daily. I think things are gonna turn out nicely.

spectrum90

so i think the rot might be comming back, what u guys think ?

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Latest posts