What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DE questions...

Hey everyone,

Building two 8k rooms and wondering if the DE setups like what growlights.ca has are bullshit or not?

They are selling DE lighting packages that run off their standard 1000w ballast which are low frequency. I've read articles and posts about needing a high freq ballast to properly power them as well as issues with bulb output affected by the temp of the air cooling the bulb. Is anyone running these or something similar?

We only have 8' ceilings and need the lights to be vented. The sales guy says they are way better (of course), but there is also only one option for hood sizes as well...

Would it better to use the conventional single ended bulbs and run the Silverstar 4XL hoods?

I believe the Solis-tek are hi-freq but I cant find them for a decent price anywhere...

Thanks for any advice...

HiFiGanja

Hey everyone,

Building two 8k rooms and wondering if the DE setups like what growlights.ca has are bullshit or not?

They are selling DE lighting packages that run off their standard 1000w ballast which are low frequency. I've read articles and posts about needing a high freq ballast to properly power them as well as issues with bulb output affected by the temp of the air cooling the bulb. Is anyone running these or something similar?

We only have 8' ceilings and need the lights to be vented. The sales guy says they are way better (of course), but there is also only one option for hood sizes as well...

Would it better to use the conventional single ended bulbs and run the Silverstar 4XL hoods?

I believe the Solis-tek are hi-freq but I cant find them for a decent price anywhere...

Thanks for any advice...

To properly get all the power out of a legit DE bulb like Philips, Gavita or Ushio Pro the ballast has to run 100 khz other wise you're not lighting the bulb at full blast. If it was me I'd only use the Philips bulb.

I don't know anyone using a vented hood for DE but look at this company. http://growlite.com/reflectors/

I think their hoods vent the air outside of the bulb and not the air rushing through the bulb.

Latest posts

Latest posts