What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How are dispensary growers paid?

Red Bear

In Colorado how are medical or retail growers paid?
Paid by pound? By the hour? Salary?
What if it's the growers building not the dispenaries?
I'm in Colorado have a job offer but not sure on how to get paid proper...
Need a key employee badge or just a support employee badge?
Paid in cash I assume?
Any advantage to this?
Thanks to anyone with knowledge on this subject!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you check on that offer?
I'm interested in what you found out?

I'm aslo assuming that growers, off site, would receive cash/lb & that wholesale prices are pretty much rock bottom & onsite employees get pd an hourly wage.

Space Case

Veteran
You get a payroll check like any other job. And you have to report it on your taxes. Some places might do ya a 1099 as a subcontractor but most will just W2 ya. Pay is hourly for lower end growers, and possible salary for a high level grower, but you'll be working 60 hour weeks for that salary.

homebrew420

@space case has got it. standard and salary doesn't mean a 60 hour week. mine is only 45, and we take some long lunches sometimes. Work is good, still work though.

Peace

thal

Paid in cash I assume?
Any advantage to this?
Thanks to anyone with knowledge on this subject!

Hourly or salary. I've seen "grow assistants" jobs advertised for as low as $8.25 an hour. I don't know any hourly master growers. You can also get bonuses but I don't think that's too common.

I don't see how a grower could own a building that the dispensary doesn't. I think you would hit a lot of legal snags, and it's unlikely that a grower's building is up to code and has proper security installed.

You'll need a key badge if you are a master grower, a support if you are an assistant.

Jbuzz

-You receive a paycheck like any other job. But if the employer is generous you might be able to
work out bonuses for hitting certain yields. Salary or hourly is dependent on your employer.

-I don't know what you're asking here.

-This is not a good job offer if they didn't explain any of this to you.

-If you are going to be a grower, and make decisions regarding the plants life, you need to
posses a Key Badge.

Paid in cash I assume?
Any advantage to this?
-What??? It's the most heavily regulated industry in this state, in what world would you be paid in cash

Red Bear

Thanks Jbudzz and eveyrone who chimed in on this...

Thanks Jbudzz and eveyrone who chimed in on this...

Jbuzz In Colorado how are medical or retail growers paid?
-You receive a paycheck like any other job. But if the employer is generous you might be able to
work out bonuses for hitting certain yields. Salary or hourly is dependent on your employer.

-I don't know what you're asking here.

I have my own up to code, secure, Built out, grow facility from being a caregiver years ago. that is literally sandwiched between to dispensary grows. i would do the license myself but my municipality has capped the number of "marijuana business allowed"

-This is not a good job offer if they didn't explain any of this to you.

it was not a good job offer it was a disp owner trying to stay afloat...

-If you are going to be a grower, and make decisions regarding the plants life, you need to
posses a Key Badge.
true

Paid in cash I assume?
Any advantage to this?
-What??? It's the most heavily regulated industry in this state, in what world would you be paid in cash

I happen to know people who work at a dispensary that lost its bank accounts and yes they get an envelope with cash and a piece of paper that breaks down theyre taxes...

Red Bear

how does one even do what?
many dispensaries are hiring.
I am in a unique position as I have been a caregiver here since 2008 and have my own grow facility. so when my neighbor tried to get me to let him register my unit as a grow for his dispensary i was not sure how to get paid. he offered 2k per. but I heard youcant pay like that per unit... must be salary. but most places only pay a head or master grower 50-60K per year...

Red Bear

cool thanks for contributing!
almost anyone could get an hourly grower job here with no investment.
its getting pretty corporate out here. not much fair pay in the retail side and medical is shrinking.

Red Bear

i hear about hourly grower and trimmer jobs, but I only know one "master grower" I hate that term.... any way he runs over 100 lights with about 10 helpers and makes "over 100 grand a year".
which seems pretty weak for all the running around, like 7 locations...

anyone know what head growers are getting paid?

Red Bear

anyone out there growing for a dispensary, and making more money than before?
i hear about people not making much for all the work involved.
yes, waittilidie it is hard earned. lots of work goes into this over many years only to be offered a dispensary job for 1/3 of the money one can make as a private caregiver...

yes, waittilidie it is hard earned. lots of work goes into this over many years only to be offered a dispensary job for 1/3 of the money one can make as a private caregiver...

You're only considering income. As a private caregiver you have some pretty substantial costs including materials, rent, utilities, security, distribution, etc. that you won't have working for a company. Also as a caregiver you're probably looking at working 7 days a week with no sick days or paid vacation. Most companies offer a nice health insurance package too. Some companies even will offer a legal retainer just in case.

So that $75K job suddenly becomes a $100K job with benefits included. There is no startup capital required, no overhead, no customers/patients to deal with, and you get a lot of perks that are simply unavailable to an independent caretaker grower.

For me, that works out to be a pretty square deal. :tiphat:

S

SooperSmurph

Made far less money working for dispensaries than I ever have off of an independent project, no matter how good the deal I secured with the company was.

Unless you're best friends with the rich asshole funding the operation, you're going to be a wage slave, sometimes just a decently compensated one.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
In my parts its on consignment, 2 weeks till you get paid out. This was going by pound to the club, i mean BITCHES!!!

Made far less money working for dispensaries than I ever have off of an independent project, no matter how good the deal I secured with the company was.

Unless you're best friends with the rich asshole funding the operation, you're going to be a wage slave, sometimes just a decently compensated one.

Nuff said.

Private op til you can afford an OPC yourself. LOL that last sentence was a doozey

i hear about hourly grower and trimmer jobs, but I only know one "master grower" I hate that term.... any way he runs over 100 lights with about 10 helpers and makes "over 100 grand a year".
which seems pretty weak for all the running around, like 7 locations...

anyone know what head growers are getting paid?

Used to work with a shady 'professionals' I never felt bad checking out his pdf paystubs complete with a per month bonus. He was in charge of about 200,000 watts and pulled down 250000-500000 guessing on the two check stubs he left on a pc that I had to use for metrc. Like leaving his personal documents open on a public pc.

I made $12 as a processor
$13-15 as a grower, manual labor :(
O.pen vape pays $18.50-22 is what I hear.

Growers are a mix of:moon: the very best and worst of people, mostly worst in my 10 years of canna work (insert un breaking intense stare here)