What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

There's a lot of 'marketing' in the world of marijuana seeds, eh?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Lol I asked him kcb when he's going to use new stuff to cross with his old stuff on Instagram he blocked me so I guess never what a cool guy ha ha
I said it because others use his strains to make hybrids that seem a lot more popular than his seeds and sell for way more $
I guess he's just..... a bit strange

I read once that he does not like to pay for advertising or being involved in the hype, or something to that effect (not quoting him) just so he could keep his seeds a fair priced as possible. Not everyone is in it to get rich.

And at this time there are several breeders all re mashing the same plants over and over. I appreciate seeing anyone staying unique.

Also. I know how easy it is to make thousands and thousands of seeds with a very small space once parents are selected. If I am paying top dollar for seeds. I hope I am paying for that breeder to be able to keep making selections and constantly evolving.

MindEater

So many things wrong with modern weed, you could group it into a few categories. The one category that surprises me the most is consumer ignorance and the dominance of hype sheep since legalization began. Market trends are now dominated by those who smoked cow patties and potting mix before legalization and thought they had been sold "mex".

My peers had always been picky as hell, unbelievably picky apparently. Everything I've thrown in the trash from dispensaries, legal era people are calling mids or too shelf. I can vape mex just fine, but the stuff I can't tolerate from legal shops is mids? Is top shelf? No.. From the age of 14 I can remember "the weed better be sticky and stanky and leave a long lasting taste on the exhale". Most adults today look at a bud and call it tasty, by looks.. And it's hydro cookie derivatives that's been sprayed with Seranade throughout flower. All the dispo bud is purple except the purp strains, and none of it smells tastes or feels like a purp. Most people don't even know what that means today. Purpinator is a thing now that makes weed better I guess. All the bud looks the same to me, more like the bottles it was grown with than the genes it contains.

The legal era smokers really have no life experience and it shows. Everything is "dank", "gas", "earthy". Does it taste like swamp moss smells? Then why are you calling it dank? Does it smell like kerosene or nitro, or actual gasoline to you, guarantee its going to smell like plastic or toothpaste (unflushed petrochemical nutes) to me. Earthy? What the hell does that even mean? Sorry but plain ol dirt is not a flavor anyone should look forward to. You mean like sugary dirt-themed ice cream? Like trees? Why didn't you say sandalwood, this AK tastes like sandalwood candy, not "earthy" .. Constantly perplexed.

I "breed" weird stuff, alway crossing something typical like a Chem male to a weird unnamed guerilla girl from the midsouth, right now I have one that tastes like a low rent carpet/furniture shop your mom would drag you to as a kid, with raw unfinished interior, rolls of fresh carpet on freshly constructed pine racks, but in a good, edible "candy" way. Everyone in my small circle knows exactly what I mean. Everyone outside of my circle is confused that Cannabis can be described in such a manner, or that Cannabis can taste like a candy version of a specific memory without some sweetener additive. It absolutely boggles the mind to hear some dispensary shopper describe rotten infected weed sprayed with numerous fungicides as "skunky, old school",or to call some disgusting unflushed garden hose hydro crap "sweet, gas".

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
The proof is in the pudding. I've sold countless strains and when I sold a batch of skunk VA chem 91 it is the only time I have ever been asked if I can get the cut

Absolutely. I'd put up Chemdog 91 Skunk VA (grown well) up against anything for the Pepsi challenge.

You may find one comparable, of course.

To this day, I still haven't smoked anything that is head and shoulders above Chemdog 91 effects wise.

rolandomota

Veteran
I didn't say anything about selling at a higher price just more sales more attention but I guess grow threads of his seeds would work too and yea lots of dudes are like him they stick to a certain genepool lmao I'm annoying sometimes I mean dude uses nevills haze in haze special California orange in California special northern lights and afghan etc old popular stuff so why not do that with new popular things? I was just wondering why not make more stuff like that using his males

Cow patties and potting mix as Mex lol right poor dudes if you can't tell the difference then you deserve to smoke it I have had Grass smell in Mex it wasn't from a cow shitting the brick that's for sure also nice strange but enjoyable earth aftertaste that only can be tasted when you talk because its stuck in your nose weeds strange man you said it yourself

After reading this thread, I now question everything I've ever grown or smoked. I've been smoking for 45 years and have grown on and off for 35 years. After reading this thread....I'm not sure I've ever been high before.

mexweed

Veteran
if you haven't smoked the sour wedding dosi panties pie grown with the full AN line you've never smoked

loyral

Never found a keeper due to high numbers, its hit or miss with real breeding..Good lines are full of winners and it is really hard to let loose when you cant keep em all...

But what we see nowadays is just clickbait..birdseed mafia (spain)
Most of the ones i grow had nothing to do with the name or the old version...or all gets dusted with this shit rezessive cardboard /fems...and if you know u know what i mean...

Then the us breeders lol wtf happened!?..i had the most respect for you guys untill i grew some Archive seeds and 707genetics...
Still better than spanish/albanic birdseed mafia but still absolute trash...the last good seed i got was in 2012:kissgrin:

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
Never found a keeper due to high numbers, its hit or miss with real breeding..Good lines are full of winners and it is really hard to let loose when you cant keep em all...

But what we see nowadays is just clickbait..birdseed mafia (spain)
Most of the ones i grow had nothing to do with the name or the old version...or all gets dusted with this shit rezessive cardboard /fems...and if you know u know what i mean...

Then the us breeders lol wtf happened!?..i had the most respect for you guys untill i grew some Archive seeds and 707genetics...
Still better than spanish/albanic birdseed mafia but still absolute trash...the last good seed i got was in 2012:kissgrin:

I agree with the majority of this, for sure.

There are a select few of US breeders who are truly working unique lines and have solid, solid gear.

Dominion Seed, Lucky Dog, just to name a couple.

Pollypak

It seems like the marketing ploys were traditionally done by the dutch seed companies who were the ones that could stablish themselves legally first, and then american companies followed suit as the situation in the US got more favourable, but it has been there since the 80s. In some cases, it was more or less innocent like changing names because they might have gone out of fashion (e.g. northern lights #2 renamed as hindu kush); in other cases, it was more a question of perpetuating urban legends like the G13. In my humble opinion things started to go downhill since the OG Kush and the Diesel legends spread worldwide. Regarding what others have said about old strains being inferior, I would just encourage people to stick to one strain and grow thousands of plants.