What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cmh penetration vs hps

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Any led light you have to hang 5cm away will have a terribly short throw or penetration through canopy.

CMH have a better spread if mounted in a vertical hood.

SuperBadGrower

Any led light you have to hang 5cm away will have a terribly short throw or penetration through canopy.

Exactly! :) Such a light would be pretty crappy in my opinion. Envisioning it may help to think about the relation between distribution of power/intensity and penetration. Anyway, I don't want to stray off-topic by talking about LEDs too much because HIDs are a single point light source.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
315's aren't the best penetrating light but I run 2 on a 4'x4' with a 4' 6 bulb T5 for side lighting. Works out great rock solid nugs from top to bottom. The resin production can't be beat.

i run '2' 315's in a 4x3.5tent , and i don't think its enough - i have a shit-load of 8bulb 4ft t5's - i tried using one as u do for side lighting, but had to shut it down- temp went to over 100... i mite buy a couple of cheap led's ... or maybe one more 315- i can manage 3 if i put one sideways....

gr866

Veteran
I run two 315's both vertical and horizontal. In both grow methods I average 24 to 26 zips in a 4 x 4.
Coco in Smart Pots, Canna nutes, RO water. I live by the rule of Less is More, so I run around 40% base nutes.
To reduce heat problems I run the ballast remote, outside the tent. Two grows a year, don't do summer, fucking too hot here. I also use defoliation so penetration is not an issue.

Current grow @ 30 days of 12/12

Cmoon

I run two 315's both vertical and horizontal. In both grow methods I average 24 to 26 zips in a 4 x 4.
Coco in Smart Pots, Canna nutes, RO water. I live by the rule of Less is More, so I run around 40% base nutes.
To reduce heat problems I run the ballast remote, outside the tent. Two grows a year, don't do summer, fucking too hot here. I also use defoliation so penetration is not an issue.

Current grow @ 30 days of 12/12 View Image

Simular set up and numbers, i used a 315 & 400hps last summer and flip floped them on a night bloom if the temps went above 30, although i thought a reasonable 22 with half power some weeks the cmh side was lush and a good 5 days ahead of the hps...after thought was i should have turned the lights once a week.

bests cm:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts