What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using LED lights in a vert grow.

El Tigre

This is how was my vertical run with Led. A lot of problem of light burn. In any case i'm growing in a micro tent and i could give a further try in the future trying to dial it better.

Last edited:

hydralisk

So I'm researching replacing my stack of 600w hps lights in a 4x4 tent.
I'm running a wall of green setup with 1200wats hps in the summer and I think I can push it to 2400w during the winter.

And I thought about gluing long led strips of lm301b to a copper pipe in the middle where I now hang my hps bulbs.

I figured if I ran water through the pipe to cool the leds I could use the excess heat to warm up my air intake in the winter or in the summer I could redirect the heat from the water into my exhaust system.

I'm having a little trouble sourcing the leds as when I search for "lm301b"and try to find reels with those leds on I keep getting back smd3030 and I try searching that again but I become none the wiser. Here is an example

is smd3030 and lm301b the same thing?

I'm trying to buy the leds and drivers cheapest possible so china is pretty much the only option I'm looking at.
Would it be a problem if the leds end up running at lets say 5 to 10 degrees celsius (about 45F) in the winter? I just assumed that all electronics ran more efficient at a lower temperature but when I think about how my hps bulbs need to warm up before sending out the right light I get a feeling I should look more into this.

Any thoughts or could someone link me a thread of a similar build?

ganjourno

It would be a better investment to invest in converting your room to a sealed system with a mini split AC. Then you could run 2400W all year round and augment CO2 as well. Having run both close AC and open air systems, I will not run an air-cooled room ever again; too many variables and exposure to bugs/mold.

An 18,000BTU inverter mini split will cool up to 4000W, and can be had for around $1000 (plus installation unless you are experienced with flare fittings and have a vaccuum pump and HVAC gauge set)

ganjourno

It would be a better investment to invest in converting your room to a sealed system with a mini split AC. Then you could run 2400W all year round and augment CO2 as well. Having run both close AC and open air systems, I will not run an air-cooled room ever again; too many variables and exposure to bugs/mold.

An 18,000BTU inverter mini split will cool up to 4000W, and can be had for around $1000 (plus installation unless you are experienced with flare fittings and have a vaccuum pump and HVAC gauge set)