What's new

Air exchange with a sealed room and CO2

Recently I've been having issues in my big flower room. Any plants that I put it just wilt and yellow out and get a burning look. I'm very experienced and have never seen anything like this. The grow is in brand new ocean forest. All environmentals are controller perfectly with a sentinel. Co2 1500ppm. R/o water.

Here's what I think it could be.

1. Currently the room is sealed air tight. There is no fresh air or exhaust going out of the room. It's cooled with a mini split and co2 at 1500ppm. Should there be fresh air exchanged periodically?

2. I have a rubber mats that are 7ft×20ft from Menard. Is it possible the mat could be off gassing something toxic in my air? Is there any way to test it?

3. Water is purified I fill a reservoir once every few months but keep only air stones in it. Would this be ok to use? I mix everything in it when I put it in.

I put rooted clones under a 600 watt dual end bulbs that was 6 ft away. I think that burned them also...

Any input appreciated on ideas

This is what happened in 1 week in the room. Plants were 100% healthy went from a t5 to 600w dual end. Could it be light burn? Lights are 6-7ft away

Thx

Attachments

• 20161120_171801.jpg
    20161120_171801.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20161120_171804.jpg
    20161120_171804.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7
You sure there aren't bugs? What's temps and rh?
I Just started on my first sealed room, looking good so far, not sure about wether to exchange air at all as well. Thinking maybe just right after lights out for a few min. Hope you figure it out.
Are you new to the DE bulbs? Seems like people have trouble with them. As far as I understand, More light and more c02 means higher strength feed.

Oneloverebel

I had this same issue, it's caused from not having enough fresh air exchanging in the room you have to build a lung room or just have some intake and filters to scrub the air . But it's most likely from the air going stale and dying, there is not enough being scrubbed or exchanged. Once you do that, everything should be all good.

Yea this is my first full run with the DE bulbs. Amy tips? I just know they need to be as far from the plants as possible.

Oneloverebel- did you use co2? I thought co2 replaced the need for fresh o2. But hell maybe that's what got me here

buttonpusher

I'm running a similar room and had those same issues. I lowered the CO2 to 1000ppm and lowered the air temp to 78 and humidity below 55. Proper air movement and circulation is essential not to get CO2 burn.

If you are running a CO2 burner @1500 ppm with natural gas you might be getting ethylene gas build up. Then you must vent the room occasionally. This happens at high CO2 ppms when the burner turns on and off too often.

Wow thanks guys! With yalls help I think it's figured out! After you stated talking about the co2 burners I noticed the flames were burning with orange and red tips. I put a carbon monoxide alarm inside the room it didn't go off but doesn't mean it's not there. I think the monitor only pickups 11ppm or higher. I read 4ppm can be toxic to humans over a period of time. I defiantly thought it was an the air. I'll look into ethylene toxicity now.

Whammy Bar

FWIW i run a 4k and a 6k, both sealed rooms with 1500ppm co2. I never exchange the air and the plants look great. Temp is 84f, RH is 70% until week 7-8 and then dropped to 55%. I've had very happy plants with these conditions dialed in.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I had this same issue, it's caused from not having enough fresh air exchanging in the room you have to build a lung room or just have some intake and filters to scrub the air . But it's most likely from the air going stale and dying, there is not enough being scrubbed or exchanged. Once you do that, everything should be all good.

Absolutely wrong!!!

I run a totally sealed room. Only air exchange I get is when I'm opening and closing my flower room door. That's it.

Always bang out yields every run.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Building materials,paint and things like expanding foam insulation all off-gas and go figure plants can be very sensitive to some of these chemicals in PPT concentrations.
Combustion Co2 generators consume a lot of the available oxygen in a vented room and are VERY problematical in a sealed room with propane being slightly better than NG as NG can have a fair number of impurities depending on the suppler.
Start with one complete air change per hour and unless something else is fundamentally wrong with your show the plants will improve.

Did a few grows in shipping cans and got an education....

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Absolutely wrong!!!

I run a totally sealed room. Only air exchange I get is when I'm opening and closing my flower room door. That's it.

Always bang out yields every run.

Exactly, a sealed room is called that because it is sealed. People who come along giving advice to vent sealed rooms are misinformed. All plants in my albums were grown in a sealed room.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Exactly, a sealed room is called that because it is sealed. People who come along giving advice to vent sealed rooms are misinformed. All plants in my albums were grown in a sealed room.

I see that you are proud of your work but please tell me how your post helps the OP?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I would say that it sounds like carbon monoxide as well, I've seen it happen to one of my grows where the burner didn't have enough oxygen and couldn't get a good blue flame going. If it's not burning blue you have incomplete combustion and you create lots of CO.

My plants were sad and wilted as well but perked up after I vented the room for a day.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I see that you are proud of your work but please tell me how your post helps the OP?

Not quite sure what you are on about mate, my post is not aimed at you. The advice you gave is legit regarding the build up of toxic gasses. But there are some who are suggesting that the sealed room is causing the problem, regardless of toxic gasses, this could cause the OP to go in the wrong direction!

I gave your post a helpful rating already!

When I am proud of my work I post in 'let's see your frostiest bud' or 'free your bud shots III'. Not here. Swing by and drop me some rep :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts