What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless steel screens

3chomes

Anybody out there using stainless steel screens for making bubble? Would like to know the difference in quality/quantity if you've tried both stainless and fabric.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
The only difference in anything will be the hole opening size as far as quality is concerned. What the material is made of has no bearing on quality. Don't see a bag system being used with stainless but maybe a bucket setup.

3chomes

Chiefsmokingbud, you're right, a bag system would not work with the ss screens. I'm using a stacking system that stacks on top of each other(230um to 20um). Works great, and now it's great to know that there's no diff in quality between this and the fabrics, though I've never tried the bb system myself.

Last edited:

3chomes

It's a stainless steel screen with a stainless steel frame and they stack on top of each other perfectly with the larger micron sizes on the top and lower ones towards the bottom. I'm using 230um to 20um for collecting sativa trichomes. I pour water from the top and just watch it filter through, sometimes the smaller micron sizes get stuck and you just have to hit the side gently to get the water flowing again. Plus the stainless screens last forever.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
you can usually find those screens at a lab supply place, that's what they are made for. Probably listed under a sieving screen. expect to pay high dollar though.

3chomes

I got mine at a place that sells all kinds of mesh, from fences to these screens. Yeah, they cost a bit, but still less than bubblebags and they last way longer.

Dkgrower

Veteran
I am still waiting to stumbel over some, I have looked at those they sell at pollinator.nl they are under growers accessories, they are made in Copper and they look realy nice a littel expensive 160 euro fore a 150,125,106,90,70 mc set.

3chomes

Checked out those sieves on pollinator.nl. They sure are expensive, and small. So it'll be stuck all the time if you use it for bubbling. You'll need at least 30cm diameter to work with for water extraction.

cadillachydro

Where'd you score those frames from 3chomes? Those are NICE. One could use the cheaper fabric mesh with those just as well right? Ive seen a thread using buckets, but its a small project cutting the buckets and all that... Id rather just use what you have with some fabric mesh in between.

BB's are way overpriced in my opinion... Cant justify spending hundreds of bucks on some sewn nylon or canvas bags, I know people love them, but I cant afford making other people rich.

I have a lot of popcorn bud a leaf material just begging to be sifted. I haven't been able to make up my mind on what system to use; BHO, bubble, or ISO.

So whats your method exactly, do you ice up and mix in a bucket and pour through your strainers or what? Whatever your doin, it looks like a clean simple method, props.

Keep it easy ~caddy

3chomes

These screens are built into the frame, so no need for fabric. I've tried the bucket/fabric method myself when starting out, it was a bit of a hassle.
Yeah, BB's are overpriced, which is what leads me to search for an alternative. Plus I do not feel overly comfortable having to scrape stuff off fabric silkscreen hundreds if not thousands of times per season and not to mention the awkwardness of working with soft fabric, nothing compares to having the feel of something solid in your hands when you're scooping off the precious stuff.
Don't know about bho or iso, prefer my smoke to be untainted by alcohol or petroleum derivatives, don't you agree?
Yeah, I do ice/water extraction. I'll try to post up pics of the a whole session sooner or later.
Stay safe.

R

randude

I made myself a cheap cheap ghetto type of an outfit.
I bought a huge piece of SS fabric under kiff on ebay. It is very fine ($20)
I bought a 4 pack of square plastic food storage containers from Walmart (very cheap)
I had some left over screen from a window.

I cut the bottom off of two of the plastic containers.
I cut some pieces of screen from both types of screen

In the container that I didnt cut the bottom off I place a few ice cubes.
I stretch my kiff screen over a container that I cut the bottom off and stack in container with the ice in it.
I put a couple more ice cubes in the fine kiff screen
I stretch the window screen over another container with the bottom cut off.
I put more ice and fill it with water.
Next step I vary

Some times I take a blender and ice and thrash good quality bud (no more than half an ounce for this setup)

Other times I just dump some frozen buds in the top of the containers and just let it soak. I mix it around and cut the we bud up with strong scissors.

I take this stacked contraption and stir it, molest it, cut it etc. Cutting wet buds is better than cutting dry as it contains all of the fine particles in the water.

Anyway you can put this in the fridg and keep it cool. The smaller particle work their way to the bottom of the mixture. I do all this sort of while I am getting high and having drinks or something. It is kind of fun (for me at least)

Once you are tired of this you can take the window screen pot and freeze it for another day or just toss it.

I then pull out the kiff screen, carefully so not to dump that into the bottom container.

I squeeze all the water out of the kiff screen into the bottom container. that stuff that is left there is pretty good, much better than the original herb. I follow general buggle bag procedures (squeezing the water out into a paper towel and seive etc)

The bottom container holds the goodies. I just take that and dump it through a coffee filter an let it run like coffee through the basket and into the coffee pot. There is the stuff that is bubble hash, and I follow the drying procedures for BB hash. I have two grades of product, one very high in thc and that is primarily what I smoke. I do not like to smoke buds too much anymore, just the hash.

D

dankiestog

3chomes.. where did u pick up those stainstell sets at..looks nice ... i love my bag but would love to try those..

3chomes

dankiestog, yeah, they work well and easy to clean. Really need to post pics of a session up soon. Check your pm.

3chomes

foaf said:
stainless screens are good for a couple of things.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/4283

you can make bubble, use as the filter on the end of your bho tube, or use the fine mesh, 100 micron, to smoke oil on.

Never tried smoking oil with 100um ss screens yet, sounds like a good idea, if I ever get any oil. BTW most of those sizes listed on that site are a bit big in micron sizing to do anything with.

C

Chamba

I have a lot of popcorn bud a leaf material just begging to be sifted. I haven't been able to make up my mind on what system to use; BHO, bubble, or ISO.

you left one out...dry sifting...no explosions, no petro-chemicals and can be done with a one mesh (though several mesh sizes will produce a finer hash).....no mess, easy to work with and is much faster than the other methods - you can be smoking your dry sift long before the other multi-step methods

foaf

Veteran
Gringo said:
You can smoke honey oil on a 100 micron screen?!? Can I get a confirm on this please.

I do it about every day with great success. You put the flame just to the side of your oil smudge and the pores are small enough that not much, maybe none, falls through. I've thought about doubling the screen, but it works just fine single layered.

G

foaf said:
I do it about every day with great success. You put the flame just to the side of your oil smudge and the pores are small enough that not much, maybe none, falls through. I've thought about doubling the screen, but it works just fine single layered.

Nice!!! I cant wait to make my next batch of honey and smoke it. Im gonna use two 100 micron screens in my bubble hash bowl made by rooor for my Ice master Bong! I let you know the results. :sasmokin:

Latest posts

Latest posts