What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600 HPS in a 8 by 3.7 grow space would you consider it overkill

gardener60

I have a question for you my grow space is 8ft. long and 3.7ft wide. I want to put a 600 watt HPS in there. Do you think that would be overkill for that space? I am using a 4ft. 8 bulb T5 3000k 432 watts. It is working but I think I could do better. All comments are welcome. I will change the bulbs in my T5 to 6500k and use it for vegging.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
a 600 HPS in a 4x8 space is a little on the lite side. Most recommend 3 x 600 in that space. At a minimum I would go with 1000W or 2 x 600W

R

Rab.C

i have 600 watt hps in my 3ft x 3ft tent no probs

switcher is right you only getting about 25 watts per square foot

my tent is 9 square feet so my room with 600watts is 66watts per square foot

also you could go for 3 x 400 watts

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a 600 HPS in a 4x8 space is a little on the lite side. Most recommend 3 x 600 in that space. At a minimum I would go with 1000W or 2 x 600W

I'll go in a slightly different direction - add a light mover and stick with a single light source. 600 would be fine but 1k would be mo betta!

popta

A single bulb can't cover an eight foot long space evenly. Two or three smaller lights would give you more even growth than one big one. The suggestion for a mover is another way to even it out. If you want to keep it to 600w then do two CMH 315s. If you want to bump up to around 1000w then many combos of 315w, 400w, or 600w bulbs are options.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You must be using a light mover track.

If thats the case I'd move up to a 1000W or 2 600s on the track.

If you are not using a track, you definitely need a lot more light to fill that space up. Sugestions above are spot on. You can also calculate the amount of light you need by multiplying your square footage of your grow space by 50-60. You, ideally, want about 50 watts per square foot or more.

Latest posts

Latest posts