What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIM, and tipping.. What say you?

TrillOG

I know different autos much like photoperiod strains perform different. But does tipping plants typically yield more or is it better to let the plants do whatever they are genetically scripted to do?

squatty

Sorry I do not have answers for you.

Sources in the past have recommended not topping autos because they say the vegetative stage is short and topping reduces yield. I see many people online now topping or fimming autos.

I have topped and fimmed superautos with good results outdoors but their vegetative state lasts much longer.

I just fimmed four indoor autos today so I may have information soon.

squatty

I had to add a few pictures of my experience fimming a superauto outdoors.

Below is a Flash Dr. Shiva that was fimmed. It got very large.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
the autoflowers vegetative stage can be manipulated with very light and aerated medium (perlite, cocofiber, peats, hydrotons etc etc ) low nutrient profile humid enviroment andenough lights. this way the can grow very very big.
important to stress them in the right time, and in the right size. few strains with extreme growing potentials i can suggest to try stressing dutchpassions automazar. poor plant had 13 knots by supercropping on the mainstem, and 70+ more on the rest of her :D

watch the story of this darkdevil auto from day 20.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330374&page=10

picture.php

TrillOG

Right squatty.. I've heard the same. But my holy man and a slow Nevile's that should have been tipped.. But I was nervous and didn't want to mess up my supply. Had a white widow get tipped by a caterpillars, or leaf hopper? Only got a decent yield off of it. So I play it pretty safe, being relatively new to autos..

squatty

I wold love to hear how your Holy Man finishes TrillOG. I've got some I'd like to try some day soon.

This past grow season I made some auto seeds outdoor. I've decided to try some of them indoor now to see what I've got. These are Reeferman Love Potion Auto seedlings.

I just attempted to fim them since I'd like to keep the canopy low and level due to a lack of any significant grow lights. I'll have to see how these turn out under T5 and CFLs.

Pictures are before fim, after fim and after transplanting some of them.

TrillOG

I was very pleased. Got a solid yield, trim was great for brownies, smoked great, one of the best autos I've smoked.. Woke up with vertigo after the first couple uses(too late at night I guess) I've definitely reordered these again.. Kush van stitch and tao blueberry are on the chop block this next go round..

TrillOG

How do you like the love potion, or is it your first time growing it? Plants look good by the way, how far along are they?

squatty

Yes to LST. I'm only using T5 and CFLs so I have to keep the canopy level.

TrillOG, I grew Love Potion Auto last summer but hit two females with way too much pollen.
The flowers were very full of seeds that I let mature past a normal harvest window. I've vaped a bit of it as I was removing seeds. I believe the flowers have given up potency to produce seeds (I'm hoping!) I'll know more by the end of this grow.

These plants are 18 days from breaking ground. I just got rid of three males and moved the others in to pots.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If it's in my yard I'll fim and top until the cows come home because I can add support. But in the wild, I just let them go because this happens.

picture.php

(Look at the stalk in the center of the picture)

squatty

"Kush van stitch and tao blueberry are on the chop block this next go round"

I have not grown Top Tao seeds yet but I do have some Demon Auto Tao I'm looking forward to growing some day.

I did grow Kush Van Stitch indoor a few years ago. The smoke was nice.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lst the best way to grow

Totally agree with you by Low Stress Training unless running 'super' autos.
Have cola LST example in the Test Grows of Female Seeds, running 2 phenos of AK showing the difference.

Would rather have numerous plants finish 72-80 days than fimmed/topped super auto running 100-120 days. Personal preference.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any article advocating Fast Buds are rubbish.

And large autos, topping early can lead to other bud sites.

Due to the nature/ruderalis genes...go ahead and top/fim, etc. We clean up lower branches be removing them a few weeks before harvest as bud formation is that stage., LST the rest that does NOT stress the plant as above techniques offer. With super autos there's more time to recover in their 100-120 day life. Those finishing at 70-80 days...it's not easy for the plant to recover.

To each their own.

squatty

I did not notice that was an advertisement. I was noting the portion where some were sharing experience growing autoflowers. Maybe they are not real dudes? Who knows these days...

Green’s process is pretty straight-forward, “I typically top the plant at the third node and remove the first and second nodes as well. Continuing to grow out the third node horizontally by tying or staking down all the new growth tips until the flower stretch happens. While also practicing heavy to light defoliation throughout its life. I am also a heavy feeder and like to push my plants to their limits to see what they can handle.”

Tripaholic advises against Green’s strategy. “I don’t do any High Stress Training such as topping or mainlining,” he says, “Some techniques I use are LST, leaf tucking, pony tailing and defoliation.”

Meanwhile, JM advises against topping but does advocate transplanting, “Start with one 0.2 or 0.4-gallon pot and then transplant to a 3-gallon pot.”

Willhauck, on the other hand, advocates balance, “I have been experimenting with multiple training techniques. If I am growing for yield, I consider topping at the 3rd node and utilizing light defoliation to give those side branches as much light as possible.”

Koondense

Veteran
There are many factors contributing to a successful grow, these guys have different methods because they tried different things and some did, some did not work for them.
I would discard any advice if the grower can't provide infos on which af varieties are being grown. Not all autoflowers grow the same, so I'll just quote aridbud's "to each their own".
The best is to just grow and learn, observe well and with a little of a scientific mindset you'll get enough experience soon, far more valuable than any other's advice.

My recap on AFs: only fim(goal-even canopy) , no repotting, light soil mix + easy with nutes at start, flush last 10days. That's about it.

Cheers