What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sharing tech? Keep Secrets?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
ps for the people asking "so what is the secret?" it's static carding your dry sift.

here's a demo by bubbleman:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/qC5S-uF8VLQ[/youtube]

That is not my secret, but I used it, I tried it, it works ok. And I am happy anyone can make 90% pure dry sift resin heads.
-SamS

Sunfire

Veteran
If sam takes some time to try and keep things secret for a while to develop it himself I completely understand. When you don't make any progress after 5 years its time to give it to someone who can do something with it. After 10 years he hasn't given anything and it's borderline criminal considering people are blowing themselves up. People still thinks his method and would be machine are revolutionary but Sam's washed up. Him and his tek has been made completely obsolete.
If you're in this to make millions you're in the wrong business. I doubt most companies would care about any machine to sell to the cannabis community because its too small. I doubt any patent would be worth the investment considering you would still have to defend it.

I'm pretty sure people would still be running cls. The sheer production capabilities of it is enough to drive some people.

Dude you must not be on the west coast, or canada, or colorado. The cannabis industry is huge. There's a "california cannabis coalition" and a "california cannabis industry union." The cannabis community is huge. If you had a crusher idea or invention, I'm sure some one would pay for it.

Yes you would have to enforce your patent. That's the point of getting it before a bigger company does, then we all are fucked. Plus they might come back and sue you for using or marketing your own invention, just because they beat you to the patent office. I would be fine with people using it on a smaller personal level but if I found out big business was using at and overcharging and raping the patients, I'd for sure enforce it. I know of many people who have patents in the cannabis industry. My patent lawyer is currently in litigation with a client in the cannabis industry.

Daub Marley

For you to suggest I should of given my ideas away for free
I didn't suggest you give it away. I suggested you give it to someone who could do something with it. That would probably mean having to give some ownership of the invention to someone who can build it. Instead you got greedy. You hoarded all info and now your window of opportunity has closed.
If you think the static method is as good as my method then use it, I will stick to my way as it is faster and easier. I like Rosin and why do you think we have such good dry sift today, maybe because I helped motivate new ideas?
So let me get this straight. The cannabis community has better dry sift today because by hoarding your ideas you motivated others to try new things and experiment? You're totally delusional. We have good dry sift because bho came around and everyone got nails and didn't want any residue on it after.
I tell them terpenes can modify and potentiate THC and they want more, I explain about THCV, CBD, and they want more, I explain how to transform a male to female to judge what the male will pass on to progeny, and a lot more,
Again pat yourself on the back. Do you feel better now? Nobody owes you shit and everyone would appreciate it if you would stop your constant, repetitive, and conceited responses.

The cannabis community is huge. If you had a crusher idea or invention, I'm sure some one would pay for it.
Its not that big. Maybe 1-2% of the population use it regularly. I think people grossly overestimate the abilities of patents. They cost $10,000 to file. 1-5 million $ to defend. All while some other company just engineers around it. Lots of things aren't patented and there are other ways to keep a competitive advantage without such a large investment.
[/quote]

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I didn't suggest you give it away. I suggested you give it to someone who could do something with it. That would probably mean having to give some ownership of the invention to someone who can build it. Instead you got greedy. You hoarded all info and now your window of opportunity has closed.
So let me get this straight. The cannabis community has better dry sift today because by hoarding your ideas you motivated others to try new things and experiment? You're totally delusional. We have good dry sift because bho came around and everyone got nails and didn't want any residue on it after.
Again pat yourself on the back. Do you feel better now? Nobody owes you shit and everyone would appreciate it if you would stop your constant, repetitive, and conceited responses.

Its not that big. Maybe 1-2% of the population use it regularly. I think people grossly overestimate the abilities of patents. They cost $10,000 to file. 1-5 million $ to defend. All while some other company just engineers around it. Lots of things aren't patented and there are other ways to keep a competitive advantage without such a large investment.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, a lot of anger, or frustration, you are not a good representative of the average IC poster, I come here to help others, and I have been thanked by hundreds of IC posters, you just spew anger at me, like I am responsible for your problems what ever they are. I never said anyone owes me anything I just try to help, but I do not have to help everyone with every request, it is my choice what info I share. If you distill my life to just one act that I did not share my invention, I could maybe see how you feel, but it was a very small part of my life and work, if you don't understand that, what can I say? And you appoint yourself to keep me in line? And who keeps you in line? You have your ideas of history and I have mine, I wont talk to you again as it is a waste of time just to be sure I put you on ignore so I don't even see your posts. Have a nice day.
-SamS

Last edited:

Sunfire

Veteran
1-2%?!?!?!? It's way higher here on the west coast, especially where I live it's more like 80%

Patents protect your own ass too. So no one gets the patent later and comes back to sue you. A million dollars to enforce the patent? Your high bro, there's a lot of factors involved there and you can just slap an estimate on it like that.

Daub Marley

I was hoping you would realize that you made a mistake by not sharing some information when it was valuable. I was hoping to make you humble so that you would continue to improve your work and the community instead of just resting on your laurels. Mission failed because your ego is too large to tame so quickly. So continue to praise yourself. Go ahead and tell people about how you did all these great things, and when I get tired of hearing your repetitive mantra ala Stuart Smalley Ill step in and cut you down to size periodically.
1-2%?!?!?!? It's way higher here on the west coast, especially where I live it's more like 80%
"In 2004, the United Nations estimated that global consumption of cannabis indicated that approximately 4% of the adult world population (162 million people) used cannabis annually, and that approximately 0.6% (22.5 million) of people used cannabis daily".
The west coast no doubt has a much higher % of cannabis users. The 1-2% I originally quoted was in reference to daily users in the whole U.S, and even though the above quote gives global stats, I would imagine U.S usage would probably not be too far off from that 0.6%. 1-2% seems like a reasonable estimate.
Patents protect your own ass too. So no one gets the patent later and comes back to sue you. A million dollars to enforce the patent? Your high bro, there's a lot of factors involved there and you can just slap an estimate on it like that.
I 'm not a patent attorney and I'm sure there are many cases when it takes far less, but I have looked into it and on average it takes 1-5 million to defend a patent.
Patents are very useful and necessary in many cases all I'm trying to say is that this might not be one of them.

waveguide

Veteran
ethics:

just a wild guess here,

life is not about making other people do things the way you want them done

trying to make it look like your opinion is representative.. of "the new way" haha... ... well let's swap out the guys you think are reading this thread with a bunch of old kung fu movie guys with the long white fake eyebrows.

you think anyone is reading your "get with the new way" rhetorical punkery the way you want them to see it? keep dancing let's see some more of your expert moves..

Sunfire

Veteran
The main thing with and patent that I'm interested is not getting screwed over further down the line. It's really not that much money to know that what's yours is yours and no one can take it from you later. It'd especially suck if they took it, then sued you for having it, yikes!

Were you directing that at me waveguide?

Not making people do the things you want to do...yes your right. However this is clearly irrelevant in a world that involves power hungry greedy people that back evil corporations. I'll tell you what else life is about, freedom from tyranny, oppression, and monitory slavery and abuse. I thinks it's important to be realistic about our environments. I will gladly tell those corporate bastards what to do any time I can as they are trying to tell me what to do every damn day. In a eutopic world everyone would have a "live and let live" attitude. Unfortunately human nature is one that just keeps taking and never giving. This is why it's good to protect ourselves sometimes.

graham12

i'm surprised his being so patient to be honest with you after reading this thread. I dont know why he doesn't just tell you to fuck of ? Its his invention, he made it, he said he wants to share it with people wants his satisfied the machine is fit for purpose. I read sam's posts nearly daily and to say he doesn't share is grossley unfair.

Sam hate to say it but your the old school the new school people actually pretty much share everything they learn.
One could actually argue that you hording secrets for 10 years because in your opinion no one else deserved to know or would misuse it was actaully VERY VERY counter productive For everyone but you.
Notice how fast we are moving now weve gotten past the hording dinosaurs??? When knowledge is free its useful, kept secret its only used to mainpulate and gain advantage.
maybe if yiu would have shared tour tech 10 years ago we would be so much further we would be doing custom terpine profiles in hash and or not gotten into the whole bho movement and stayed with healthy wayer extractions that dont blow us up.
Hate to say Sam it but you are exactly the reason we need real scientists studying cannabis who publish their results not mad scientists who horde everthing they know because they deem the rest of us unworthy to have it.
Collaboration beings innovation pure an simple keeping it bottled up is just greed.

I do understand youve shared a lot sam but why not just let the knowledge flow freely instead of spoon feedin it is all im sayin.
Sure some would abuse as they ALWAYS do but the rest could drive it forward make new discoveres and even see new angles you might have missed.
There is plenty dinosaurs that are working alongside the new generation, do not put us all in Sam bad pretty please!!!!

Limeygreen

Veteran
He worked hard for the way to easily produce this hashish, that is what I will pay for, his time and effort to figure out something that may take me 20-50 years to figure out. Even if he's not the one selling the machine, if he has the patent I am still paying him for his idea and the seller is the one passing it back to him.

JOHNWANE

i enjoyed your thread,thanks for sharing.

i enjoyed your thread,thanks for sharing.

1. :dance013:
    I just wanted to make this thread to share my opinion about the last 2 years and my experiences when it comes to hash and techniques to make it.

Just a little background on me, I have been smoking and enjoying hashish for about 7 years now, I really love trichome glands and never go a day without the bliss of hashish. However, it did take me a few years to really realize what I was smoking and which type of hash was made with which technique, but thats another story. I just made this thread to say that if you have a really awesome special technique to separate trichomes / hash, please don't keep it a secret!!! Yes it is your choice and I do appreciate your right to keep it to yourself.... having said that:

I watched for 5+ years while people did not share their "secret technique" and kept others wondering how to make "Just Heads" or "Clear domes"(Basically just drysifted heads) which ultimately was just isolated micron sizes that catch heads and allow other debris to fall through if done correctly.

During those years I did as much research and brainstorming as I could, despite my best attempts I could not figure it out because those sharing the pictures of perfect hash would proclaim things like "My friend goes into a room and in less then 10 mins comes out with perfect just heads!" and all my ideas would take longer then that to isolate heads.... I contacted the ones sharing pictures, I swore secrecy and told them it was just for personal use and that I would never share the info with anyone EVER I just wanted clean hash...

After 3.5 years and no luck(No one would tell me anything) I literally gave up and just went back to solvent based extracts because they made sense and I knew how to do them :( , it was economical and although I could feel the solvent hash was not 100% healthy it did deliver the effects I needed from the plant. If one of the people who knew how to make the perfect hash woud have shared with me, I would be healthier today and so would my family. Thankfully someone finally leaked the info on how to make drysift "just heads" and now everyone can access this material :dance013:

I am very glad today to say that I do not ingest ANY solvent based hash/concentrate and have access to solventless hash. But imagine the people who died years ago(perhaps even just months before the technique was released), they could have had solvenltess drysift heads before they passed on. People who never got access the un-altered medicinal values of these glands... there are people who did not make it this far to enjoy this type of technique, so those of you keeping your secrets, remember what it may cause.

Also, I attribute the current rosin movement to the quick drysift method that was kept hidden for years and then suddenly released. I believe it made people understand trichome gland structures much more and helped them to think and realize how trichomes can be manipulated more efficiently. I am very very happy we all know about drysift and rosin today and hope that in the future perhaps even superior ways to isolate glands are thought up and shared for the love of the plant, not the love of ones ego.

I hope we can all understand that hash is medicine and that keeping methods secret may actually take pleasure and joy away from others.... *sigh* this is just my opinion and I do not want to offend those to believe keeping trade secrets is right. I realize that some trade secrets must be kept secret to keep people safe perhaps from volatile reactions ETC but drysifting just heads should have honestly been public knowledge before 2010 in my humble opinion :tiphat: :tiphat: Thanks for reading if you made it this far

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
good thread... i think on the one hand its essential that information and knowledge is accessible to every one and most things should be shared freely..
this is not reality though and in our present day society is very far from it..
knowledge is power and knowledge is kept locked, only for selected few..
times are changing though and society is changing..
we are the ones making changes and we are the ones who will / might have the power
one day do change society..
but this is a long process and i think we are still at the beginning.. so i can understand sam very well, normally in life we have to work hard to gain knowledge, either through studying, hands on experimenting or what not, its a process and it schools us.. people who put in years and years of work should get some kind of benefit for this... at least that is what they think and expect.. hell, hand on my heart i would do the same, or i do the same.. not always.. and not intentionally, but i help where i can and share with people i like..this is just how i was brought up..
being from the 70´s generation i think i can say im lucky to have seen both sides of the coin so to speak.. cause the world was a different place before the home pc.. thats a fact
.. internet has changed the world... and society... its evolving and i am growing with it, we are changing our views and this is how the internet has become so useful to us..
gaining free knowledge.. but the internet brings a lot of miss information with it.. so one has to work to find the truth..
anyway i want to say i understand sam and theres no reason to flame someone like this...
treat people how you want to be treated.. if you have your opinions you can state them
but be respectful and dont insult other people... we are more intelligent then that.. come on

99%

I would think that if Sam could of patented his dry sift method, then he probably would of already gone ahead and done it...but maybe he's waiting for a working prototype? (which probably means the method is not able to be patented, but a machine will be?).....but with rosin, static sifting and other recent extraction innovations that have been shared, the impact of this secret method and or machine would of had five or ten years ago has definitely diminished.

Francy420

Much respect to Sam as this Dry Sift thread has seemed to turn into a place for Sam to defend himself. I have to agree with both sides of the table. Yes share info, but too many young people these days want it all for free. Put years of your life into something, and have a young kid come around and want all that in 20 min. It will bother you I get it. it bothers me, but also think hoarding of any knowledge unless it be a working machine needs to be shared to further our industry. Not sharing will only hold back an industry that yet needs to be legalized. It seems to me that doing things for the good of the movement should take front seat to future monetary gains. With that said Without Sam we may still be living in caves if you catch my drift, but also believe it is the static parchment that has moved dry sift at a rate it has never seen. Because of static dry sift I can sit in a small town in Wisconsin and dab full melt 99% heads. Not before it was shared on you tube though.

G

Gr33nSanta

That is not my secret, but I used it, I tried it, it works ok. And I am happy anyone can make 90% pure dry sift resin heads.
-SamS

Sam, did you come up with your technique, was it a group of people that did or did you learn it from someone else^?

PDX Dopesmoker

Anyone have any idea how to prevent water separated hash from darkening as it dries? Whats causing the darkening? I use a soak in water mixed with a little lemon juice to prevent my dried fruit from darkening during the drying process and I'm kinda thinking about doing a water hash run on some material using a little bit of lemon in the water. Would this be stupid?

domacin

I was hoping the terpene info I released would drive breeders to create single terpene varieties like my work to make the single Cannabinoid varieties, not only have none risen to the challenge but no one else has yet made single Cannabinoid varieties...

sam , its impossible to create / breed a single terpen variety
and to the best of my knowledge hasnt been done to any plant species, especially cannabis, which is pandoras terpen box

thats the only reason ppl have to go the other way round solving this problem, fractional single terpen extractions which are added later on to singles or combos of cannbinoids