What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

full melt dry sift tutorial/discussion

Daub Marley

sorry Daub i didn't mean to be hostile and i appreciate your input .. but i do think your wrong in saying that you need clean starting material and that that parchment can't get it fully clean.. i have done it plenty of times with super dirty starting material and ended with extremely pure finished product.
Fair enough. You have much more experience with the technique than I do, so I trust your word. When I tried it I noticed that the material got beat up to the point where all the heads and contaminate are roughly the same size and shape. At that point they became impossible for me to separate. I guess I need to try out some different stuff and see how it goes, but I would think it would be easier to just start with material that's been cleaned through other means first.

Dimajones-AICC-

Veteran
Wow. Smart method! Thanks for sharing.

I usually notice when Im brushing the dry sift into a pile with a business card that a great line of heads is stucked to the card.. I gonna try to bush it all with that paper for sure.

Salud!

So whats the update on this. Has anyone found ways to better this method?

best screen sizes to use?

Best card type or dvd case or cd case?

Parchment paper or release paper (back of sticker paper) ?

Curious to see peoples results and techs after about 6 months of doing this

Grey_Fox

thanks for all the info everyone. I read through a fair bit of the thread but might have missed the pertinent information. I was just wondering if there was a consensus on which frame/mesh material should be used for this technique? will it only work with Aluminum frames and Nylon mesh? or is there a little more leniency in what we can use to achieve this technique?

Francy420

I use a 196 line screen to parchment on. I prefer cleaning on my 196 vs. my 200 line. I know little difference but when you are talking microns it is a pretty big difference.

Grey_Fox

I use a 196 line screen to parchment on. I prefer cleaning on my 196 vs. my 200 line. I know little difference but when you are talking microns it is a pretty big difference.
thanks for the reply, just wondering what material your screen is made of and the frame as well if you don't mind finding out :D. Are you using the cardboard under neath the screen as well? or do you have an easy way to control the static charge?

The difference between 196 and 200 lpi is the different between 76 micron and 74 micron

Its not a a big difference really, so im curious as to why it static collects better.

It seems to have worked on metal screens and wood. Most screen press use nylon and that combined with the parchment paper, creates the static.

there are other static techniques such as using a balloon, or bubbleman mentioned in one comment about slightly charging the metal frame on the screen and sifting over plexglass and the static charge separated the contaminants in a pile

Grey_Fox

The difference between 196 and 200 lpi is the different between 76 micron and 74 micron

Its not a a big difference really, so im curious as to why it static collects better.

It seems to have worked on metal screens and wood. Most screen press use nylon and that combined with the parchment paper, creates the static.

there are other static techniques such as using a balloon, or bubbleman mentioned in one comment about slightly charging the metal frame on the screen and sifting over plexglass and the static charge separated the contaminants in a pile
Thanks for the reply. I can vouch for how much static acrylic can hold so it makes sense to use it. Ill have to cut some pieces of it tonight and have a go with it. I also have some sticker backing type material that I'm going to try out as well.
How well do you think carding with just a piece of charged acrylic might work instead of the parchment and dvd technique? Also is it better to card with something thick like a dvd or thin like a debit card?
I have some 1 1/4" acrylic id like to try out for separating:p

Awesome Grey Fox. The more power to ya! Get on that dry sift.

Let me know how that goes as i don't see any documentations on people doing that tech with the acrylic

My initial thought would be that a charged piece would attract it better. Just be mindful of what charge is attracting what particle. Containment is neutral so its attracted to a positive charge

Refer to the salt and pepper separation experiment using a balloon

Balloon rubbed on head gains electrons, so a negative charge. The negative charge attracts the pepper (postive charge) (lighter) when on a paper plate, and some salt. When on a piece of cloth, the balloon attracts more pepper pieces away and less salt. Cloth is negative charged

you could probably work something out with your acrylic and charges.

Skunkman Sam said that when he tried a Van Der Graaf generator it sent all his headies flying around the room. so maybe think opposite of that !

According to D420K, a friend of bubblemans, said that he prefers the dvd over anything else. other have used those itune cards or xbox live cards and cd's Its the parchment that is holding the charge and i think its due to the nylon. someone with metal screens can confirm that.

If you instagram hashtag #paintrollertek there is a guy who uses a paint roller and wraps it in parchment and does multiple swipes and the heads collect more and more up the sides as he goes. seems to be the most affective

Do report back with your results !

Grey_Fox

Awesome Grey Fox. The more power to ya! Get on that dry sift.

Let me know how that goes as i don't see any documentations on people doing that tech with the acrylic

My initial thought would be that a charged piece would attract it better. Just be mindful of what charge is attracting what particle. Containment is neutral so its attracted to a positive charge

Refer to the salt and pepper separation experiment using a balloon

Balloon rubbed on head gains electrons, so a negative charge. The negative charge attracts the pepper (postive charge) (lighter) when on a paper plate, and some salt. When on a piece of cloth, the balloon attracts more pepper pieces away and less salt. Cloth is negative charged

you could probably work something out with your acrylic and charges.

Skunkman Sam said that when he tried a Van Der Graaf generator it sent all his headies flying around the room. so maybe think opposite of that !

According to D420K, a friend of bubblemans, said that he prefers the dvd over anything else. other have used those itune cards or xbox live cards and cd's Its the parchment that is holding the charge and i think its due to the nylon. someone with metal screens can confirm that.

If you instagram hashtag #paintrollertek there is a guy who uses a paint roller and wraps it in parchment and does multiple swipes and the heads collect more and more up the sides as he goes. seems to be the most affective

Do report back with your results !

Thanks for all the info dude. Ill be sure to document everything for you fine people. Ill take some pictures of the 3m material i have at work. Its not truly sticker backer but seems to be really close to the same material. I also have a few types of acrylic to try out at different thickness. Ill gather my tools tomorrow morning ;D

Awesome! no problem man. ive just been into myself as well. Im really curious on that release paper as well and how affective it is. you should try that around the paint roller and static tech the screen.

I don't believe that Skunkman Sam uses static to separate his headies, but it doesn't sound like youre trying to replicate it!

If you can find a tech that works way better that what we currently do, and everyone can access the materials , such as using acrylic or release paper or a little charge. Then it greatly benefits the community. Even if its not the "secret" tech way!

Im anxiously awaiting your results

-MB

Well. this thread is called dry sift discussion, and we were discussing dry sift, and i revived the thread after being dead for 6 months, so i don't think you were spamming. i think it makes it more confusing. Now i gotta go to more threads to find info!

either way. looking forward to your documentation. hopefully you decide to post on here as well.

Daub Marley

The key to extracting is to separate things based on their differences. When you use screens you have all your heads and contaminant a specific size. If there were a huge triboeletric difference in materials this wouldn't be a problem, but this difference is too small and thus the uniformity in size hurts the process. The parchment paper method works so well because the increase of static force of two particles is squared as the distance deceases. So as the two surface get close enough trichome stalks and irregular shaped material are polarized and have enough force to apply a torque and rotate the objects into alignment and pull them away. As stated this works well for irregular shaped material, but it does not work for pieces of plant matter that are approximately the same size and shape as the heads. Some very small pieces lack the mass to separate away during the screening process and cling to everything from heads to screens. These small pieces might be able to be removed through air movement, but air pressure, temperature, and other factors would need to be dialed in and would be difficult. The processes required to remove these contaminants are very complex, but I am confident that I will eventually find a way to do so. The problem is that it takes time and money and both of which I am short of. Rosin has also given the same cannabinoid levels and terpene profiles as pure heads so it has removed the immediate need for such a stringent contaminant removal process.

Good information there Daub Marley. I haven't heard anyone explain it like that and that would make sense why the static tech picks up a little bit of containment along with the heads.
I haven't had a chance to try out the paint roller static tech myself, but i heard that its quite superior to the dvd/card tech.

After static is used to collect <95% pure heads, the pile could then be taken over a 120u screen and carded, collect the heads, go to a 90u, card, collect the heads, and then over a 73u, card and collect the heads and With enough resin you will get a nice pile of 120, 90, 73 heads, separated and 99% pure

Thats the long way it seems, if people are interested in separating or purifying the static collected hash, even more. The majority of people it seems are fairly happen with the purity of static tech as it melts quite nicely

But as most of us believe, this is not the technique Sam uses, and also BubbleMan is aware of the tech and has permission to use it.

I don't believe it costs a lot of money and that it takes very little time. The reason its been so hard for Sam to patent is because its really quite simple.
FYI, I do support Sam wanting to patent the process so big companies have to pay for the right, but a regular user in there home would be allowed to duplicate the machine ( it would be easy) But i think it would of just been easier not to tell anyone that there was a tech, to avoid all the backlash of being a secret hoarder.

I believe its something really quite simple that the majority of us are overlooking as our minds are cluttered with misinformation and timely carding techniques. If Sam, an experienced smoker, was just in a hotel in Africa, sifting some bud, and came up with the technique, then it must not be that hard. He would of had his screens and other hash making equipment with him. Perhaps its a process using all equipment he already had, but the idea came to him in Africa due to something he seen or experience or a certain state of mind. Or perhaps it used some/none of the equipment he already had, and was used with stuff around the room/area.

as of right now. im on the path of thinking it was air/gravity somehow.Bubbleman mentioned he used a vacuum under the screens in the past and that has given him 98% purity

Either that is a whole different tech, or similar to the one Sam uses.

Or for all we know, there no secret tech and we are just wasting our time haha

Has anyone else tried the paint roller wrapped in parchment paper to clean up the heads

i turned about qp of bottoms into some pretty hefty piles of dry sift. didn't really matter how dirty the sift was. It was picking up heads off my 160u screen as well the 70u

To be honest. i couldn't even get get any heads collected with a dvd case and parchment

ganjaboys

Thanks time 2 shine

Attachments

• 20160712_223540.jpg
    20160712_223540.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 43

Dab Strudel

Question for yall, I was going to get some screens made, they kept calling it Silk screen, any yall are saying Nylon... is it the same thing? I figured Id ask here vs calling them back incase someone has that same question.. BTW, plenty of people in the US make their own silk screens by hand and have the metal fabricated locally so I dont think I can order 3 mesaly screens for 400 bucks when I can order 6 screens for under 200.. maybe the LPI is different, but if you knew the LPI you wanted you could have it made all the same without the BS canna industry mark up.