What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where to buy/get Finola seeds from?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Ah... now I get it! :D
Chinese (which was too often everything SE Asian back in the day LoL) hemp was and still is very renowned because of the tall plants and hence long fibres. Why exactly they called it 'gigantea' I do not know... your guess is as good as mine.

The carmagnola is a North-Italian variety with an optimal temperature during growth of ~23°C. I have no knowledge which of the other Italian and Spanish varieties would be best.
Maybe the Chinese variety Yunma No. 3 would work?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I just crossed a big seeded chinese variety with finola. Not sure what to expect though.

Finola Report:

I found a big field of hemp weed lately, and had a chance to visit it when it was completely budding and full of seeds.

the buds were vaguely hairy, the seed pods too, and it smelled slightly narcotic, different from vegging fields for example, so i was intrigued and had to smoke some.

I forgot to smoke it and threw it away, and was busy throwing away the bud i'd shown someone and though... "Oh Yeah... Let's have a pure spliff of that one then"

Guess what... i'm in love! it's delicious and weird. I smoked 2 puffs on it and it gave me the glowing sensation at the top of my lungs and my throat, same as normal weed when you know it's strong... I thought. WTF? it tastes abit pokey. full of flavour, nicer than pure skunk weed and less "gone past sell by date mouldy" than the imported african weed that used to be in the UK prior to skunk.

I thought... THis stuff is DELICIOUS. it's like air-skunk... It's much nicer than tobacco. a great way of avoiding tobacco, it really feels like you are smoking something abit mental, unlike herbal tabacco's, and it's cool when i am programming so i can be clear headed some weeks.

So... I went back and got about 1 gallons of heads out of the field, to last me many months, as a tobacco replacement.

Attachments

• hemp.jpg
    hemp.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 45

oldchuck

Veteran
Interesting, hedgerider. Couple of questions?

What makes you think it is Finola?

I'm assuming you are in the UK. Is the field you found some farmer's cultivated hemp crop or are they wild plants?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Doesn't look like Finola... too tall, no even size, no males (which would be dead at that time)...

I'm growing some Finola under 24/0, 11 W CFL, with daytime temps around 15-20°C and roughly 10°C at night. Planted the first of January and the first males are recognisable since two or three days. I was under the assumption that Finola were extremely early but still photoperiod though with heavy dependence on daily temperature integral and/or cumulative light intensity (CLI); turns out that this is likely not the case if it flowers under the above conditions already 2 weeks after pushing their cotyledons out of the dirt! True, the shorter time to flower under constant light might point towards a high enough CLI... but it's only a household 11 W CFL! Maybe I have to try again with the 3 W LED and an even lower temperature? Seeds are already soaking but where the heck did I put the small light fixture?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Doesn't look like Finola... too tall, no even size, no males (which would be dead at that time)...

I'm growing some Finola under 24/0, 11 W CFL, with daytime temps around 15-20°C and roughly 10°C at night. Planted the first of January and the first males are recognisable since two or three days. I was under the assumption that Finola were extremely early but still photoperiod.

Didn't take my word for it, eh? ;) Photoperiod dependent strains just don't cut it in northern Finland. The strain was bred close to Kuopio which lies at 62' degrees north. I'm at 65' and never had problems with finola not flowering. I'm not sure if even cold temperatures can prevent them from flowering, you're gonna have to test that. Ime they grow just fine in temperatures as low as 10-15c so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't flower as well.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Didn't take my word for it, eh?
I do, just that in my current understanding it is/was a functional and not a genetic 'autoflowering' mechanism. It's Sam who always says it's not an auto ;) .
The fact that Finola inherits the trait in a seemingly dominant way and also heavily affects the F2 points to a quantitative trait locus rather than 'Mendelian inheritance' and is in agreement with the inheritance of flowering onset in most other hemp varieties. It is entirely possible (theoretically) that a QTL (with or without contribution of light and/or temperature integrals) for early flowering sets the critical night length to zero hours and hence, it becomes practically impossible to not induce flowering.
Sam said, that the original parents of Finola (VIR 313 and 315) were only very early flowering; if this were indeed a QTL it is also feasible to select for even earlier individuals up to said zero hour critical night length; something not possible with common recessive inheritance for photoperiod independence.

BTW I went over some literature and from my point of view, short day plants (literature is based on rice) measure day length rather than night length like long day plants (e.g. thale cress). Why or how in my case a day of 2 weeks without any night would not repress flowering implies that the light intensity is too low and not too high... It's a pity that most research is based on Arabidopsis thaliana which functions completely differently.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
it is also feasible to select for even earlier individuals up to said zero hour critical night length; something not possible with common recessive inheritance for photoperiod independence.

Can you explain this part? I'm not sure if I'm following.

Also are you suggesting that your plants flowered in response to stress or lack of light intensity?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The 'true auto trait' is a recessive mutation wherein one of the flowering suppressing mechanisms (e.g. enzyme) is damaged causing the plant to flower immediately after the juvenile-to-adult transition. It's an 'on-off' switch. What can be changed is the time of the transition and if the plant keeps on growing during flowering or not.
On the other hand, early flowering much like size is determined by QTL. Imagine you take the tallest plant out of a population (millions of individuals). This is seemingly the talles hight this variety will grow but as hight is due a QTL, you can breed with it and select for ever taller plants ending with something likely a lot taller than before (sure, there are limits to each QTL and also to biology). You can do the same with a small size or with flowering onset shortening the critical night length (or prolonging day length) beyond what's physically possible (like a -1 hour night :) ).

This time, I'm sure that it is not stress. Intensity might be an issue. Unfortunately, I have broken the small fixture and can't find the 3 W LED either... but I might try with lower temps and/or more light.

oldchuck

Veteran
I have several batches of Finola going now scattered around the house including a couple of hybrids with drug types, different photoperiods, different ages, different locations and temps. I need lots of it because it is the most effective treatment I've found for seizure control. There is something special about it.

All hemp is not created equal. I ordered a couple of ounces of hemp buds from Slovenia (from Amazon no less) and concentrate made from it does nothing for seizures. I sure wish I had a complete cannabinoid profile to work with. Anyway...

All of my Finola test batches under various conditions produce that short spikey male stem two or three weeks from sprouting. Is it autoflowering and is that trait dominant? Don't know but there is this: I have one male cross with Satori which I am watching with interest. It spiked and flowered quickly like Finola then started to branch and slow down its flower development and became more bushy. It is now sitting in a window getting natural light (a few minutes more every day) and seems almost to have stopped developing. I have younger male Finola in the same window shedding pollen but not this guy. The flowers remain immature. I don't expect much more growth as the plant is confined.

@Thule, how did your Finola - Chinese cross turn out?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Sorry to hear that the Slovenian one doesn't work ;( .

QTL stands for 'quantitative trait loci', it is something in parallel to 'dominant' and 'recessive' traits but it is a 'dynamic' trait like continuous from 1 to 10 instead of the 'on-off' behaviour with genes that go by Mendel's rules. Size and skin colour (in humans) are examples. Strange enough, science can't really explain how they really work...

oldchuck

Veteran
Yeah, would have been great to be able to get functional meds for $36 for 40 grams. That's the kind of price we should be paying for all weed.

So, okay, from what we know is Finola QTL or dominant/recessive for the autoflower trait?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
There may be a bunch of other mechanisms and genes having their fingers in the play but the central part is most likely a QTL (at least, QTL is the only possibility I know of that could explain everything and does not contradict with anything).

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
The 'true auto trait' is a recessive mutation wherein one of the flowering suppressing mechanisms (e.g. enzyme) is damaged causing the plant to flower immediately after the juvenile-to-adult transition. It's an 'on-off' switch. What can be changed is the time of the transition and if the plant keeps on growing during flowering or not.
On the other hand, early flowering much like size is determined by QTL. Imagine you take the tallest plant out of a population (millions of individuals). This is seemingly the talles hight this variety will grow but as hight is due a QTL, you can breed with it and select for ever taller plants ending with something likely a lot taller than before (sure, there are limits to each QTL and also to biology). You can do the same with a small size or with flowering onset shortening the critical night length (or prolonging day length) beyond what's physically possible (like a -1 hour night :) ).

Ok, I get it, QTL makes for more "flexible" breeding. It goes in line with what I've witnessed when crossing and back crossing late maturing tropicals with semiautoflowering strains. In indoor setups some of the hybrids would declare sex several weeks earlier than the tropical strain which I find hugely beneficial. True autoflowers when crossed have no such effect.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
@Thule, how did your Finola - Chinese cross turn out?

It's still heart of winter so it'll be 4 more months before I'll be able to test them. My growbox is constantly in flowering mode and anything semiautoflowering will turn out very unimpressive. I did grow one Chinese x Austrian ruderalis out of interest but it showed male in a couple of weeks..

Since I'm looking for outdoor adaptations and size an indoor grow is pretty much just waste of space. I'll try to grow a couple of those next summer if I find the time. Not sure where to plant them though, feels strange to grow a legal variant guerrilla style.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
In my experience the trait is not on/off switch in Finola.Never had a Finola that started to flower in August-September, but just 24 days after germination of the seed.If you make crossings the trait is quite dominant, even with Haze.

Keep on growing :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Finola self-medication

Finola self-medication

Just took a pic of our doggies self-medicating on Finola :) .
After 5 minutes, 6 of the 9 plants were gone and I had to remove the pot or they'd have eaten everything.
picture.php