What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hey guys, I'm on duty for the gardening forum!

M

MrSterling

Just a heads up if you need a mod here to delete or move anything let me know. Encourage other posters to come join us in the fucking awesome world of gardening for food and flowers!

M

MrSterling

Hey reg, varied answers depending on your personal ethics involving guano re:sustainability, and also if you mean ibdoor soil mix when you say "mixing up".

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
tomato soil needs lots of phospherous right?

Only from the perspective of the salesman trying to stab you financially suggesting that you buy & use as much Phosphorus as possible.

Good way to decimate the endomycorrhizal fungi colonies in your soil - just hi-dose with Phosphorus. Works each & every time.

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
@criptonic plague-

Thank you! didnt know this. I limed the whole garden this spring. perhaps I should have went heavy in the tomato rows.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
veggies love a compost tea too,i can see its time to pull the trigger and get one of the 15 gallon brewers with the airlift since i brew 3-4 5 gallon batches a week between the veggie garden and the landscaping.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Clackamas Cootz has the best soil recipe... you would all be lucky to learn a thing or two about growing from the Organic Soil subforum where they discuss things like soil, and water, and worms :)

Basically it's all about keeping your soil alive! There's a million little buggers per teaspoon of Living Irganic Soil, and that's what gives you great plants!

You can also read about soil in the latest Cannagraphic eMagazine... check the link below.

:)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
And welcome Mr Sterling to the Gardening Forums! Thank you for taking the time to help out all our avid veggie fanatics :)

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
where can i find asparagus starts?

trichrider

As hard as this is to believe but Eastern Washington is a big player in the asparagus market. Yeah - I didn't didn't get it either.

Here's a document from my alma mater, Oregon State University (Go Beavers!) about growing asparagus, which varieties you can consider and links for seeds, crowns and even transplant. These sources are not limited to the Pacific Northwest nor is the advice PNW centric.

The best advice that I can give you is to buy older plants if possible as it takes a couple of years from seed to see any action So maybe you could buy seed for a premium cultivar for future harvests and pick-up some crown or transplants for quicker results.

You won't believe the amount of spears these plants produce. It's almost goofy.

CC

supermanlives

Veteran
mmmm asparagus. just got some for dinner. watching this section is easy as there aint much drama and such . congrats man.