What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do tricomes grow back?

Im quite sure that thay do !

I have wiped off the trics on some pre-flowers multiple times to get a wiff of the sweet sent and im sure they've grown back .

Anyone?

Perhaps

Or in a few more words, test have shown no but if you truly have found a strain that does, keep it and breed with it, do some structured experiments to find out.

Last edited:

josh420

they actualy do in nepal they will rub the plants then they will let the resin glands grow back for a second rubbing so it probley depends on the strain

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
I don't think trichomes grow back, however they do continue to grow throughout the flowering cycle.so a plant that is rubbed earlier will have new trichomes, but they didn't come from where the old ones were removed, but rather from new growth.

well thats my reasoning anyhow. ;)

goldennugget

trichomes

trichomes

ok everybody, I've got the science here. Anyone hear of Dr. Mahlberg. He has published abot 45 papers on cannabis trichomes. I can't post attachments yet, so if you want the papers or my notes from them you can email me ( see below) . Here's some main conclusions that may help you out.
1. The capitate stalked glandular trichome is by far the largest of the 3 trichome types, forms later in maturity of the plant.
2. The specific stages of formation (about 6-8 stages of symmetrical meoisis in various planes) are followed without exception. This suggests genetic control.
3. On the other hand, trichome density has been found to be under more environmental control. This was found by growing the same strain at sea level and around 7,000 ft elevation. Trichome density is greater at higher elevations. Similiarly, trichome density can be increased by decreasing humidity.
So what can be said from all this.
1. Genes control the development of trichomes, but environment can influence their density, and thus their production.
Other considerations about trichomes;
1. Trichomes are kind of the "holy grail" in the study of cannabidology (my own term). This is because:
A. Trichomes accumulate over 90% of the plants cannabinoids
B. The disc cells of the base of the glandular head contains high amounts of plastids. This is the site of the DXP biosynthetic pathway, which produces terpenoids. One of two molecules needed to make the first cannabinoid is a terpenoid. Studies also show high secretions of cannabinoids around disc cells in the glandular head.
C. Despite these things, Mahlberg's studies also show a negative correlation between trichome density and total cannabinoid production. This means that just because a plant is covered with trichomes doesn't mean it will be extremely potent.

It seems we are truly in a sticky mess. I hope I answered more questions than I've raised, but feel free to ask if anything's confusing.
Matt
triplehelix28@yahoo.com

jahsin

im pretty sure that........your a fool!! why would you even touch them??? thats what i call molestation!!leave them till they get older.. then you can reap the full benifits of all jah hard work!!
peace!!

G

That may be sciectific but it doesn't answer the question. It doesn't mention its removal or possibility of regeneration. For the record ... They are secretions and form rather than grow. If the leaf or bract isn't damaged it may form new glands.

Last edited:

josh420

so the old ones dont grow back but new ones take there place the plant produces the trichome to protect itself against the enviroment so it would make sence that it would create more

alGrenDh

Wipe a leaf. Mark it in some nondamaging way. Keep a check on it for a time. Do you see them coming back?

See? You've answered your question :)

Let us know the results, k?

goldennugget

I hope this picture comes out. Most of the trichome volume is in the secretory cavity. I have actually heard of people with green houses using bees to collect the gland head, leaving the stalk in tact. I don't know if the gland creates another secretory cavity, but I would think the plant would still have the cannabinoids, otherwise people wouldn't use this tactic. I bet it makes killer honey though!

THank's for the imput people's.

Im currently touching up my girl's in the name of Ganja science, I need a 20x magnifig glass to see the structure properly though.

They're definatly secreting more resin ,it's as if the stalk stays and the cuticle get's wiped off then it re-secrete's more resin to create another.

Anyone with a magnifing glass willing to molest their plant's in the name of science please post your result's,(I am only lightly touching a preflower bursiting the cuticle's.)

goldennugget:
"I have actually heard of people with green houses using bees to collect the gland head, leaving the stalk in tact."

Bees don't collect trichomes.

Except if they're from Nepal or Morocco :)

G

This is how I think of it.

Trichomes grow from cells on the leaves. There is no lifeline, or trigger, that tells a cell that the top of a trichome has been knocked off (as far as I know - maybe I'm wrong). So, when a trichome gets destroyed, or the top gets knocked off, does the cell know? I think not. So, the cell just keeps going about its normal business of producing base cells, or something.

Unless there is scientific proof to show that a cell can recognize when a trichome has broken, I would doubt they can grow back from the exact same site they were damaged at...

Shibby Dobbins

I'm wearing one of those [female anti-rape condoms] in my ass if I ever (knocking on wood) end up in the pokey

thats claassic

bluebublelove

Perhaps said:
In a word,
no.

I think that in a few words...this is wrong. I have heard of a few ways of making hand rolled charas (indian hashish, or parvati cream) and the traditional way of making it was to "rub" the flowers for the resin allllll throughout there life. in turn you get a combination of resins from all different stages of maturity. and yes, on all accounts I have heard on the formentioned process of making charas. the trichomes do indeed come back. but imho I think that letting the trichomes stack on the bud and mature is the best way to make some hash...is that is your intention.

I thought I would resurect this thread .

My finding's have shown that Trichomes do indeed grow new Cuticle's ,the main productive THC part of the plant.

Bodacious99

But wait . . .

But wait . . .

This is how I think of it.

Trichomes grow from cells on the leaves. There is no lifeline, or trigger, that tells a cell that the top of a trichome has been knocked off (as far as I know - maybe I'm wrong). So, when a trichome gets destroyed, or the top gets knocked off, does the cell know? I think not. So, the cell just keeps going about its normal business of producing base cells, or something.

Unless there is scientific proof to show that a cell can recognize when a trichome has broken, I would doubt they can grow back from the exact same site they were damaged at...

That is actually the very function of DNA, so that a cell can detect and repair damage to itself. It might be better to say that it is a question of whether or not destruction of the cuticle, which to my knowledge is the cell wall, constitutes complete destruction of the cell, or if the cell is capable of regeneration after the rupture of its wall. Im leaning towards no.

mack 10

Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/10155trichome101-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

I hope this picture comes out. Most of the trichome volume is in the secretory cavity. I have actually heard of people with green houses using bees to collect the gland head, leaving the stalk in tact. I don't know if the gland creates another secretory cavity, but I would think the plant would still have the cannabinoids, otherwise people wouldn't use this tactic. I bet it makes killer honey though!

Now I've heard it all...