What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane hash oil releases carcinogens if heated to high temperatures, study shows

R

Robrites

Vapors from butane hash oil - a marijuana extract commonly heated, vaporized and inhaled- could produce significant amounts of carcinogens when heated to high temperatures, according to a Portland State University study published Monday.

The study, led by PSU chemistry professor Robert Strongin, showed that oils present in the extract release potentially cancer-causing chemicals when heated to temperatures above 750 degrees. When heated above 932 degrees, the oils released benzene, a known carcinogen.

"The higher temperatures go, the more risk that (users) will be inhaling things that could be harmful," Strongin said.
Butane hash oil can be dangerous to manufacture. Three people in Oregon died from injuries related to butane hash oil production this year. Two men died in Portland after an illegal butane hash oil lab caused an explosion in July.
Hash oil is commonly consumed by dabbing, when a small amount of oil is placed on a heated metal or glass compartment known as a nail, turning the oil into vapors that the consumer inhales. It can also be used in vape pens or electronic cigarettes.
The study simulated dabbing by vaporizing terpenes, naturally occurring oils in marijuana that are present in hash oil.
Strongin and his team found that the terpenes did not release high levels of dangerous chemicals at low temperatures. But when they were heated above about 750 degrees, they released methacrolein, a chemical similar to the carcinogen acrolein.
At about 932 degrees, the terpenes began to release significant levels of benzene, Strongin said. Though the levels were not as high as those found in cigarettes, they were far greater than levels found in the air, Strongin said.
"It's not a huge amount of benzene, but any benzene ingestion is concerning," he said.
This could expose hash oil users to risk if they are not carefully regulating the temperature of the dab rig's nail, Strongin said. Typically, users posting online report heating the nail to about 700 degrees, though some prefer to keep temperatures lower to preserve the oil's flavor, according to the study.
But it's common for people to use a creme brulee torch, Strongin said, which has no temperature control and can make the nail much hotter.
That's where the concern is, Strongin said.
"At the upper range of what people are doing, you'll start to see benzene," he said.
Previous studies have shown terpenes in electronic cigarettes can also release toxic chemicals when used at high temperatures. But Strongin said it's less likely that electronic cigarette and vape pens users will be exposed to carcinogens because the devices don't get as hot.
Patricia Rodriguez, who works at the medical marijuana dispensary CannaSource and has used hash oil since 2011, isn't concerned about the results of the study, she said Monday.
Rodriguez uses hash oil to treat chronic pain from multiple surgeries. She typically dabs using an electronically-controlled nail or "e-nail," which keeps the temperature low and controlled. Most people she knows don't typically heat hash oil using temperatures above 700 degrees, she said.
It's good for people to be aware of the risks that come with using high temperatures to dab, she said. But, she said, she hopes the study doesn't add to stigma around hash oil.
"As long as they use carefully, like anything else, there shouldn't be an issue," she said.
Strongin echoed that sentiment. The takeaway from his study, he said, should be that users can minimize risk if they keep temperatures low. As long as users are careful to regulate temperatures when dabbing, they should not be in danger of exposure to carcinogens, he said.
"We don't want to say things like this are just bad," he said. "It really depends on the user."
-- Samantha Matsumoto

http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2017/09/butane_hash_oil_releases_carci.html

EsterEssence

Veteran
Carcinogens in carcinogens out, whatever solvent you use no matter how clean people say they can make, it the signature of the solvent is there...

Easy7

Veteran
Never did butane or seen it. Solventless is the way to go. Nothing wrong with bubble hash, sift or rosin. People like butane for the ease, yeild and potency.

prune

Veteran
Seems about right to me...

Thanks for sharing.

Yesh, it all sounds fair and reasonable to us, but all the drug warriors will see is this line;

"But when they were heated above about 750 degrees, they released methacrolein"

Meth? METH! every dab-rig is now an official meth lab! OH Boy, and forfeiture is back on the menu?

lol

810FireFarm

how much are in a burning joint?

What about Rosin? is the carcinogen from the solvent or the trichomes?

i would think that burning plant tissue is worse than burning the trichomes

Gry

I thought big technology with hash was a water glass and a needle to stick the hash on, and a touch sensor lighter for the butterfly to land on.

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
If anyone thinks it butane that causes the carcinogens, they didn't read very fully.

This report says they simulated dabbing, by vaporizing terpenes. The terpenes when overheated produce carcinogens. Just like I've always said, inhaling any type of burnt material is bad for you. Vapor is lower temperature and much more benign, as well as free of other toxins created by combustion.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how much are in a burning joint?

What about Rosin? is the carcinogen from the solvent or the trichomes?

i would think that burning plant tissue is worse than burning the trichomes
Excellent question!
I hope an answer can be found.

If anyone thinks it butane that causes the carcinogens, they didn't read very fully.

This report says they simulated dabbing, by vaporizing terpenes. The terpenes when overheated produce carcinogens. Just like I've always said, inhaling any type of burnt material is bad for you. Vapor is lower temperature and much more benign, as well as free of other toxins created by combustion.
Thanks for the reiteration.
Chemistry goes right over the heads of a few. Myself included.

B

bigganjabud

I'm pretty certain that combustion is a lot more harmful than digestion but then again

I've never smoked roast beef

Erm heating terpines is no reflection of the plant it self though as I found out over the past few weeks while purchasing terpines

Some are made with bases some are added to cbd oil and other contamination

Only way to be sure is to extract or create terpines yourself as then you can judge contamination and such

Also didn't the good ole usa just heighten the legal limit for residue contaminates of butane from something like 400ppm to 10,000ppm?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Isn't anything above the vaporizing temp considered combusting ? Just thinking out loud here. Some of these studies do things that most people don't do , to get the scientific data they want for their report. It's got the wheels in my head turning for sure.

B

bigganjabud

Isn't anything above the vaporizing temp considered combusting ? Just thinking out loud here. Some of these studies do things that most people don't do , to get the scientific data they want for their report. It's got the wheels in my head turning for sure.

Yeah man for sure and different terpines disperse at different temps

As you'd know if you've accidentally over done the vac haha

But this is the exact thing I use to work out temps

Cannabinoids & Terpenes in Cannabis

We are going to explore some of the different cannabinoids and terpenes found in cannabis, what they are used for and at what temperature they are vaporized.

Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid (THC-A)

Boiling Point: 220° F

Sedative, Helps prevent seizures.

Cannabidiolic Acid (CBD-A)

Boiling Point: 248° F

Anti-inflammatory, Anti-tumor.

Pinene

Boiling Point: 311° F

Anti-inflammatory, Helps treat asthma.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)

Boiling Point: 315° F

Anti-tumor, helps with nausea, pain and depression.

Caryophyllene

Boiling Point: 349° F

Helps treat depression and anxiety.

Myrcene

Boiling Point: 334° F

Anti-tumor, Anti-inflammatory.

Combustion occurs at 451° F.

D-Limonene

Boiling Point: 349° F

Helps treat depression and anxiety.

Cannabidiol (CBD)

Boiling Point: 356° F

Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, helps treat chronic pain and epileptic seizures.

Cannabinol (CBN)

Boiling Point: 365° F

Used to help treat insomnia, also has an anticonvulsant effect.

Linalool

Boiling Point: 388° F

Helps treat insomnia, anxiety and chronic pain.

Humulene

Boiling Point: 388° F

Anti-inflammatory, Anti-tumor and helps suppress appetite.

Cannabichromene (CBC)

Boiling Point: 428° F

Anti-inflammatory, Anti-tumor, used to help treat anxiety, stress and pain.

It hasn't done me wrong yet but then again I'm not someone like graywolf

Useally I do recommend he's threads to everyone but I'm almost certain he will turn up in this thread so on this one occasion I won't

Anyway thankyou to the op for sharing this as it's definitely a talking point to say the least

coldcanna

Veteran
The THC molecule has a Benzene ring as part of its molecular structure.... the benzene is not coming from a residual solvent.

2nd thing I never understood about the butane nay-sayers: how many bowls or bong rips have you taken in your life? The amount of butane you inhale doing that is higher than any residual solvent is going to be!

Deny the BRO science!

Drewsif

That's why you don't grow with non Cannabis turps. done all this work already. Cannabis flavors aren't causing cancer. God put that resin here to be vaporized. It can not be duplicated by any other plant extract.

Telling people that Cannabis "terpz" are the same shit at the essential oil store is dangerous.

This whole "terps" bullshit needs to go away. Is there goin to be "Estre Hawgs" and "Phenol Kingz" brand wax anytime soon? "Plant Alcohol Fatty acids Waxes Lipids and Acetate Headz"

Lol loving these new comers that think skunk comes in an extract from the essential oil store. Who think they can smoke lemon grass oil. These fucking fake weed pens need to be rounded up and tossed in the garbage. Along with all the fucked up bud fed with "terpenes, bro" You can feel the cancer running down your throat, smoking non-cannabis terps.

coldcanna

Veteran
Cannabis naturally has carcinogenic compounds, I believe even more than cigarettes. But curiously pot smokers do not exhibit higher levels of cancer or lung problems because it is believed that the bouquet of cannabinoids offsets the effects of the carcinogens.

That being said, I believe the anti-cancer activities in the human body arn't fully realized by means of combustion, I believe they need to be consumed orally and not involving high temps.

I say this because pot smokers don't have lower rates of cancer- but at the same time the actual molecules of thc and cbd have proven to shrink tumors in experiments.

GoneP

So they didn't actually use BHO, just "simulated dabbing" with synthetic terpenes? how is this supposed to be indicative of anything when the actual plant compounds were not even used during the study?. fail. of course combustion releases carcinogens. do lower temp dabs, problem solved.

Latest posts

Latest posts