What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Replacing res with NFT

When you empty out the reservoir and refill with fresh water and nutrients, don't the roots dry out? How do you avoid this happening? I'm planning a grow using a GT424 system.

No your roots won't dry out.. in nft the pump trickles the water down the tray and back into reservoir, so never actually soaking in water..

When you change your reservoir, flip your pump so you pump all water out then refill, depending on size of tank this should take all of about 20-30mins ..

hazyfontazy

Veteran
3 days prior to the tank change fill a 20 litre bucket with fresh made up nutrients

when i used to do a tank change in a 424 ,every 2 weeks ,the tank would be down to approx 5 litres ,b4 emptying the tank i would send 10 litres of pure water over the roots ,an inbeetween flush that helped stop any nasties forming ..to make emptying easier ,cut 2 pieces of 4x2 timber and raise the tank ,,when u empty remove front piece of timber ,,gives a nice slope to empty

get your self an airpump and some air hose and line the bottom of the tank ,,the more oxygen to the roots the better

i found canna aqua the best nutrient for nft or ionic ,,,use with liquid silicon and liquid oxygen and you will get awesome results :tiphat:

Last edited:
3 days prior to the tank change fill a 20 litre bucket with fresh made up nutrients

when i used to do a tank change in a 424 ,every 2 weeks ,the tank would be down to approx 5 litres ,b4 emptying the tank i would send 10 litres of pure water over the roots ,an inbeetween flush that helped stop any nasties forming ..to make emptying easier ,cut 2 pieces of 4x2 timber and raise the tank ,,when u empty remove front piece of timber ,,gives a nice slope to empty

get your self an airpump and some air hose and line the bottom of the tank ,,the more oxygen to the roots the better View Image

i found canna aqua the best nutrient for nft or ionic ,,,use with liquid silicon and liquid oxygen and you will get awesome results :tiphat:

Thanks for your input - I am so grateful for you help! Would your trick (laying the tank on top of 4x2 timber) work if you're doing a SCROG? When you SCROG your foliage is not so easy to move up and down so I wonder whether it would work or not.

Also I've hooked up a auto-top up float valve so when the nutrient solution gets used up the res is automatically topped up. Given this system, how often would you suggest I change the res?

Last edited:

Andyo

Veteran
switching off over night

switching off over night

I used switch off pump over night they were fine

The only thing with that is number of switches pump gets over time may make it more liable to fail.A

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Thanks for your input. Would your trick (laying the tank on top of 4x2 timber) work if you're doing a SCROG? When you SCROG your foliage is not so easy to move up and down so I wonder whether it would work or not.

never really bothered scrogging in nft ,,,have used a net before to keep plants upright but not scrogged ,,you will need to empty the tank whichever method you use ,,using the timbers is the easiest way to raise and lower the tank ,,you could swap for 2x1 for less movement of plants .emptying the tank without timbers is hard work .
good luck :tiphat:

reccomend tank change every 2 weeks in a 424