What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about Feminized seeds

Therealzemi

Ive been growing indoors for 3 years now, and if there is one thing i have learned, it is that the listed flowering times is never enough in a standard low tech HPS grow (600 watt). Ive grown 5 different strains so far, and they all tend to start shooting bananas when they are 1-2 weeks longer in to flowering than listed. Not all the plants, but perhaps 10% of them. So my question is. Are Femi seeds more prone to going hermi in very late flowering than normal seeds?
Thanks for reading :tiphat:

Easy7

Veteran
2 things first off

1; bananas from over ripe cannabis are something soma said a time ago that is female seed making pollen.

2; fems in my experience are more prone to pushing out male parts indoors. Regs in my experience are not as sensitive

Therealzemi

It's getting a bit frustrating. I want to harvest when the colour of the oil is right. But it seams damn near impossible to achieve without getting bananas. I guess i need to seriously consider regular seeds in the future. Even with the extra work that comes with it.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
yeah, i would say no, if the breeder knows what he is doing and is smart enough to stress all new candidates to attempt to cause hermies and then only femminizes those plants he can't stress into hermaphrodites then hermies in those beans should be very rare.

...sadly we have too many amateurs making femmed beans out of anything that they like or anything with a connection to a famous name strain.

...and Soma's method is called rhodelization i believe in case you want to research his methods, i would say though that his method takes longer than just a couple weeks past ripe.

...anyway, making femmed beans is easy so learning how is the best way to ensure against hermies, NONE of MY femmed beans have ever hermied.

peace, bozo

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...keep in mind that it takes approximately 4 weeks for viable seeds to form so bananas a week or 2 before harvey will cause zero problems.

peace, bozo

Therealzemi

So just to clarify. Is shooting bananas seen as going hermi, or do they need to show actual balls to be classed as hermi?

Therealzemi

...keep in mind that it takes approximately 4 weeks for viable seeds to form so bananas a week or 2 before harvey will cause zero problems.

peace, bozo

Good to know. Perhaps ive been too drastic by cutting tops that shows bananas a couple of weeks before harvest?

Drewsif

Feminized seed plants are loaded with seeds, they just aren't developed. It is what it is. Giving a little boy estrogen and calling him a girl. Of course it wants to go back when it grows up.

No, Im not the only person who dissects weed under a microscope. Some of us are interested in growing efficient medicine, not dead weight.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
So just to clarify. Is shooting bananas seen as going hermi, or do they need to show actual balls to be classed as hermi?

yeah, i would say throwing bananas is definitely a sign of hermaphroditism but 1 to 2 weeks before harvey won't cause you any trouble with your harvest, it just means this plant would NOT be a good candidate for feminization.

...and no, femminized plants are NOT filled with seeds, unless they turn hermie early enough to self-pollinate or they are otherwise pollinated.

...as i said above, if done correctly by a diligent breeder hermies and the resulting seeds should be a non-issue.

...again, as i said above, NONE of MY femmed beans have EVER hermied.

peace, bozo

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I don't want to rain on you parade or sound condescending but I rarely have seen hermying in that time period unless there was a light leak somewhere.. regs or fems.. the few fems I've done haven't hermied 3-4 weeks after breeders recommendations.
My usual is 65-70 days regardless of the breeder but have gone 80 days on 60 day strains..

light leaks are everywhere.. plug strip lights, cycle timer lights, ac lights, etc..
EDIT: or other stress factors

Therealzemi

Sometimes one gets too confident in what one has :p
I desided to check for light leaks. I was so confident i would find none (trusting my wood craftmanshipt too much. I actually found 3 leaks, and of those 1 was rather significant. Add to that, i may have had heat issues more often than i think during the summer time.
Leaks fixed and heading in to fall and winter time. Lets see what Decembers crop will look like :)

St. Phatty

It's getting a bit frustrating. I want to harvest when the colour of the oil is right. But it seams damn near impossible to achieve without getting bananas. I guess i need to seriously consider regular seeds in the future. Even with the extra work that comes with it.

It might be less work. Just don't give the plants any individual time until they display their sex.

I have grown a few dozen fems and gifted a few others. I inspect plants & scan for bananas daily. No visible bananas, and just a few unexpected (but very welcome) seeds.

Some of the most famous strains in history were accidental pollinations.

To me it sounds like you're doing the right things, sweating the details, and will end up with real good Cannabis.