What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosca's Cinderella 99 "F1"

Crazy Chester

Hello everybody. Just posting my 2017 outdoor grow of Mosca's Cinderella 99 "F1".

I grew out a pack of his "F1" C99 a few years ago. I got seven females, two males and one true hermaphrodite. I was hoping to get something similar to my Original Brothers Grimm grapefruit pheno clone. Alas, that did not happen. The best female in the bunch was one that smelled strongly of Mango, had at least as much resin as my original clone and had a fairly balanced sativa/indica high. It was a very good plant, but I let her go because I was looking for that "racy" sativa high my clone had. In any event, I took some pollen from the males and seeded a branch on the females.

I then grew out several of those seeds and only got the mediocre plants from the first grow - didn't even get that nice mango pheno. So, I took some pollen from two males and seeded branches on the females. Now, I'm growing out ten of those. At the risk of confusion due to the name Mosca gave the strain, I'll just call these F3s.

I believe Mosca used original Brothers Grimm plants to make his C99 strains. However, I believe I've discounted too much the importance of the male that Mr. Soul used to create his original C99. Given that it seems difficult to get the original phenos in the new Brothers Grimm C99, that male was more important than I had thought. In any event, I believe the genes for those great phenos are in there somewhere. Eventually, I will find them.

The plants are currently in one gallon fabric pots until I can sex them. The next node will probably be an alternating one and I should begin to see pre-flowers soon. They are in a 50%/50% coco/soil mix. PH around 6.2. They are about a month old and have had most of their growth in the last two weeks. Before that, they were really slow growing (I believe due to the cold outdoor temps here in the SF Bay Area).

This is also an experiment to see how many females I get (I'm not making seeds this time). I used the "dimple" method to see if there's anything to it. I picked out the seeds that had the most prominent dimples to use for this grow.

Follow along to see if the "dimple" method actually works and to see if I find a coveted female similar to the ones that used to be common in the early years of this century.

Crazy Chester

UPDATE:

I'm seeing two plants with male pre-flowers and eight with female pre-flowers!

Keeping my fingers crossed for eight ladies (assuming they don't go rogue, i.e., hermie)!

CrushnYuba

Looks good. I'm running bros grim c99s this year. Will probably make feminized f2s. My c99s are the biggestr plants in the garden

CrushnYuba

What is the dimple method? Bros grim and top dawg shared a booth at the emerald cup. Their booth was right across from ours. Soul said that the c99 he offers now is from the same plants as before and he still has princess and that male. He setup shop in Colorado and I'm assuming seeds are being sold online. I popped 2 packs. I haven't topped or trained at all so i can see the structure. Hopefully i get at least one real keeper female to make seeds for my outdoor with. They are pretty uniform and grow super fast. Seems like an outdoor winner

But what's the dimple method
0623172029.jpg

Crazy Chester

CrushnYuba, wow, that plant you posted the picture of is going to be HUGE!

The "dimple" method, is something I read about on this website (I forget who first brought it up).

The theory is you can tell whether a seed will end up being a female or male plant by inspecting the seed. If one end of the seed has a pronounced dimple, like a little depression or round hole, it will supposedly be a female. I chose the ten seeds I grew out by taking the ones with the widest and deepest dimples, because I wanted as many females as possible.

I got 80% females, but, since it's the first time I've tried to select seeds this way, it could just be a coincidence.

As to the making of the new C99, I wonder if Mr. Soul was referring to the C99 male he used in his first batch of the new re-issued C99 last year when he told you he was using the same male. I thought he had stated last year that he was using a C99 male from old Brothers Grimm seed stock that he grew out last year to cross to Princess to re-create C99 (he even posted some picks of it - huge beautiful plant).

However, I thought that, in the making of the original C99 seedline, he had stated at the time that he used a ShivaSkunk female crossed with a male that came from a seed that he had gotten in the bud that contained the seeds that became Princess, Genius and Cafe Girl, and that he selected a male that came from that cross to cross to Princess to start his "cubing" process in which he would grow out each cross to princess and take a male from the seedlings produced by it and cross it back with Princess - repeated four times, I think. The result was the original C99 seeds that were sensational.

Either way, if one grows out enough of them, one should be able to get a plant closely resembling the mother, Princess (I believe he does still have that 20 year old clone because the pictures he posted of it looks like it did back in the day).

Due to lack of funds, I've just been confining my search for that special female to the seeds I've made from Mosca stock. But, when I can afford it, I will purchase 2 or 3 packs of the re-issued Brothers Grimm C99, if I still need to. I do believe Brothers Grimm is the way to go, regardless of what male was used to make the new C99 - the special plants are in there - we just have to grow them out to find 'em!

Crazy Chester

You said your plants from the new seeds are fast growers - that's what I remember from my old Brothers Grimm C99 clone - it would grow like crazy. I was the easiest plant to clone too.

From your photo it looks like you are in California. If that's true, C99 should be great for you outdoors.

My old clone, however, could not stand wet humid conditions in flower - anyone growing it outdoors in conditions like that might have a problem with mold.

CrushnYuba

You know, that is what soul said when i bought them. It's princess female with a male from the same stock the old male came from. I don't know anyone who has grown the new bros grim. So pheno's are not like original? That's so disappointing! I don't know anything about them other then what soul told me. I am hoping they will put out uniform flowers. They are so vigorous I'm thinking whatever seeds they make will be outdoor gold. They better because i paid 400$ for 12 females. Not really worth it just for just an outdoor run. I just don't know if it will be anything like my old c99 cut. I think i would rather do f2s for looking for a mom. Your thread is pretty exciting. Don't abandon it.

I have not heard about the dimple thing. I have heard that you can tell by the way they sprout. Someone told me it's 95% accurate.

Crazy Chester

CrushnYuba, LostTribe grew out the new Brothers Grimm C99. I think it was one pack. He got a female that sounds a lot like my old original grapefruit pheno. It just takes a bit longer to finish (mine was done in 45 days).

Star Crash also grew out the new C99s. He seemed a bit disappointed they were not just like the original (he noted cat piss smell when he was drying them). However, I thought the pictures of the ones he posted looked great.

If you have 12 females, I bet you find one that's close enough to the original. I also think there's a possibility that someone grows out the new C99 and finds a plant that's even better than the original.

CrushnYuba

The more I'm reading about it the more I want to run one of moscas version. I would love a baby poo 45 day pheno. I wonder what the best way to make seeds from my females for my outdoor. I wonder if taking my favorite and selfing it would be best or if i should take my 2 favorites and put reversed pollin from one onto the other. Or should i introduce new genetic material and do a bx.

Crazy Chester

Hi CrushnYuba. While I do think someone growing out enough of the Mosca C99 will find some special plants, I think you already went it one better with the Brothers Grimm C99. I've just got a feeling you will get something really good out of your current grow.

Regarding fast finishers, I did get one pheno in my Mosca grows that finished in 45 days, but most were 60+ day finishers, like the current Brothers Grimm C99. The one Mosca pheno that did go 45 days I'd describe as Brothers Grimm grapefruit pheno light. It smelled of grapefruit (half as loud as my original Brothers Grimm grapefruit pheno), but it did not carry over into the flavor, as the original ones did. It also did not have that "evil" underscent like my original Brothers Grimm grapefruit pheno did.

Only one Mosca C99 had a high as powerful as the original Brothers Grimm C99 (the mango smelling AND tasting one), but its high was 50/50 sativa/indica - not what I was looking for.

I'll be watching for any updates of your grow. There's surprisingly few grows posted online of the new Brothers Grimm releases, so, as more and more get posted online, I think we're going to see someone get the "real deal."

I'm hoping you find out a few months from now that you had it all along!

Crazy Chester

Double Serrations

Double Serrations

The leaves on some of the seedlings have double serrations:

Attachments

• 20170627_195525.jpg
    20170627_195525.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 9

Crazy Chester

New Digs!

New Digs!

Seedlings have been transplanted from 1 gallon to three 5 gallon fabric pots and 5 seven gallon fabric pots a couple days ago and moved to their final home where they get at least 10 hours of direct sunlight a day.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
ic

Crazy Chester

Loving the Sun!

Loving the Sun!

Two weeks from their transplant, after some adjustment, the girls are about 2 1/2 times the size and otherwise looking pretty good.

picture.php

Crazy Chester

CrushnYuba, the only helicopter these girls see is the one that flies in between the local hospitals. I can't imagine anyone is looking for outdoor grows around here - too urban. I agree, it is pretty rad! An outdoor grow in a city with 10-11 hours of sun a day and the neighbors who live all around me can't even see it.

Crazy Chester

acdc - Lol, I do have pretty big balls, but not because of that. This would be a pretty lame bust for a cop. I'm a medical patient in the Bay Area of California and caretaker to another patient. The tallest they usually get is around 3-4 feet. Neighbors can't see it either - unless they hang out on their roof like me - but they don't!

Latest posts

Latest posts