What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first grow, trouble germinating

Chrono2

hey guys, im having trouble germinating seeds, the seeds themselves are just random seeds (had about 50 of 3 different kinds from 3-6 years ago)
ive put down 3 batches now, one with paper towels, one with water for 24 hours then paper towel, and the last just water.

no roots have shown on any of them and no shells have cracked.

im using RO water 14 ppm and 6.77 ph (i didnt add anything to the water)

im assuming my seeds are just to old and dead (i have no idea how they were stored, tempature, light exposure or humidity)

but could it be a problem with the RO water? could it be a problem with the tempature or the room where the seeds are in or something else im not getting, thx for any replies

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
I am guessing its the seeds. If they weren't stored properly 3-6 years is a long time and you have tried soaking and paper towel it has to be the seeds.

Chrono2

I am guessing its the seeds. If they weren't stored properly 3-6 years is a long time and you have tried soaking and paper towel it has to be the seeds.

ya i looked into them more, one batch was stored just in a cup for 5+ years

one batch was stored inside of a wooden container for 5 years

the last batch was also 5+ years and stored inside of a mason jar, but it was in a super humid place.... i have like 25 strains (1-2 seds of each) from a seed bank that are new, but i dont want to waste good seeds on my very first grow :(

2011rex87

I have accidentally left seeds in the cup of water for days and they pop and grow their white tap root right there. Consider leaving a few soaking for extended periods of time and just keep an eye out. After a week in water without popping I would assume they are duds.

Latest posts

Latest posts