What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hmong Thai - 2017

RC_Colas

Veteran
Hola Sativa Lovers,

Here is the continuation of last years journey with some rare Hmong Thai seeds gifted by a good friend for preservation. I only managed to sprout 4 seeds from the originals that yielded 3 stable females from which I took clones to carry through the winter...no males.

I was fortunate to receive a final batch of seeds from another generous soul whom had them from the same original source, and set out to find a male to preserve the line.

It's a boy!

RC_Colas

Veteran
and a few more...

They were all well seeded and the line is now preserved for many years to come. Initial uncured samples are very powerful, spacious, and uplifting in the effect with a smooth and sweet flavour.

Saludos

RC_Colas

thejact55

Decent floral structure for the male of such "sativa" orgins. I would be pleased with that boy for sure. Congrats, glad you could preserve the line, it looks like a gem. Is it a spicy/woody smell?

Huesos

Saludos for the preservation of such a rare specimen. The key is finding the ones with power.

Manivelle

Veteran
i'd say that with one male used the line is not preserved at all .
few generetion further and you'll have a depressed inbred weak bottlenecked uselles plants.
i hope others will have make seeds with more genetic material.

Coughie

As long as it's only one generation, it will be fine, having six females and one male. Successive generations of 1-to-1 breeding can cause issues or a loss of diversity, but sometimes you have to do the best you can do because it's better than doing nothing.

You're jumping the gun a bit by assuming they'll become weak, bottlenecked, inbred and useless.

Manivelle

Veteran
no it's from personal experiences. i have been gifted some lines treated the same way and this is what happened. even if i have used multiple males when i have done my reproduction.

just an advice for him to don't let him doing an error he will regret.
i always say when you're doing preservation you have to use all the viable seeds to make the first generation . to have a good stock to sift trhough.
even the hermies. and especialy if you don't have a lot of seeds .
and this way you are sure to not lost any material genetic. and you are able to pass it to future generation.

my lines are alive only because i gifted them to some people able to grow on very large scale. i would never be able to do anything by myself at this time when i was a beginer.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Manivelle. I agree with you.

I would do an open pollination in order to preserve all the genetic diversity as possible even using hermies. You can keep that seeds frozen and you know you have all the possible genepool you are able to keep from the seed you got at first.

But it doesn't mean you can keep an eye on your favourite plants choosing them or taking clones this time avoiding hermies and make another seed reproduction now with a narrower but selected genepool. You know you have seeds preserved from the first batch and you can do it every time you make seeds so you will never lost the strains as you can go to the freezer to refresh the line when you see some inbreeding depression.

Greetings.

Manivelle

Veteran
execpt if a meteorite hit the seed stash .. :) .

i understand what you say and what rc-colas did . . and reinjection of fresh 1rst generation stock in a line is not the best idea . genepool in the fields are always better.

i'm just sick of seeing lines being lost or "fucked because of "bad" practices. ask mustafunk how much lanrdraces have been lost last two decades . i'm sure he know a couple. some lines as so much to offer, and when i see people starting segregating genes at the first repro ... (not talking about this case i don't know what they did before..)
i just want to preserv the gene for futur generation. i see landrace as a humanity propriety.

Huesos

Lead by example.....

Lead by example.....

Talk is cheap. Show me what you've done in the area of preservation?

We live in an ungrateful canna community. Most folks don't care two cents about preservation.

Yeah, in an ideal world without fear of persecution, you can do a large pollination effort. In the mean time, one does what one can for the beloved plant.

Applaud the effort and commitment. I, for one, am grateful. Thank you brother.

Manivelle

Veteran
i'am grateful too . but can't let young people think they are have "preserved" a line using one male. that's my point.cause some of them will come read to learn and do . (i hope)
if you can use one male you can use 3 or more.. large pollination is just better. not the only way .

Huesos

The salt of the earth.....

The salt of the earth.....

Your right~ young people~ the future salt of the earth.....

Attachments

• dsc_9170-liz.jpg
    dsc_9170-liz.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 23

Coughie

RC Colas knows what he's doing.. it's my understanding that he only found the one male, so I don't know why you would expect him to use males that he didnt find...?

I understand preservation and what you all are talking about, but I don't see how it applies to this thread..

If all he got to grow were the 6 females and the 1 male, then hes done the best he could to preserve what he's managed to bring to life.

Of course, a larger genetic pool is better for preservation but to suggest that the prject is doomed when using 1 male for 1 generation - that's a bit extreme. From the sounds of that, he should have just bagged the whole effort because he had only one male to work with...

If there's still more seed, I would hope he'd find more males and use them to pollinate all the ladies too, but we only know what he's told us

meizzwang

With endangered plant species, if there's insufficient genetics to preserve a particular population, preservationists take the next closest genetically related population and outcross/open pollinate them with as many individuals as possible. The F1 generation is then grown out in very large numbers and open pollinated for maximum diversity.

In the Thoroughbred racing industry I can think of many champions that came from stock that the upper class would laugh at...until they win millions of dollars....if u only got 1 stud to preserve a line ur passionate about then more power to ya the genetic possibilities can still be endless always root for the underdog