What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHAT IS THIS?

WelderDan

Veteran
I know I've been pretty adamant that this is a pestle, but it might be something similar. It could be a tool to tamp vegetables, like cabbage into a crock to make sauerkraut. Since it seems to be pretty old, it's very possible that instead of a pestle, it could be what is called a Stomper, or Muddler. Even modern versions are wood, and they tend to have one big end, and one small end, like most modern pestles, but it is very possible this is what it is. Making sauerkraut was pretty common and it's easy to find vintage pickling crocks. That is another potential explanation for your mystery object.

G

It was a tool customarily used in conventional marriage counseling, decades ago.

Cuddles

No, I think it´s a pre-historical Klingon weapon. It´s what they used before they discovered metal

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I know I've been pretty adamant that this is a pestle, but it might be something similar. It could be a tool to tamp vegetables, like cabbage into a crock to make sauerkraut. Since it seems to be pretty old, it's very possible that instead of a pestle, it could be what is called a Stomper, or Muddler.

Could be

Even modern versions are wood, and they tend to have one big end, and one small end, like most modern pestles, but it is very possible this is what it is.

Both ends samey same.... but yes it is wood.

Making sauerkraut was pretty common and it's easy to find vintage pickling crocks. That is another potential explanation for your mystery object.
High Dan.... I like sauerkraut:biggrin: but buy it ina bag..

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I know I've been pretty adamant that this is a pestle, but it might be something similar. It could be a tool to tamp vegetables, like cabbage into a crock to make sauerkraut. Since it seems to be pretty old, it's very possible that instead of a pestle, it could be what is called a Stomper, or Muddler. Even modern versions are wood, and they tend to have one big end, and one small end, like most modern pestles, but it is very possible this is what it is. Making sauerkraut was pretty common and it's easy to find vintage pickling crocks. That is another potential explanation for your mystery object.

I've been doing some research on this recently and I think it's a muddler too.

The small end that would fit in the palm of your hand for tamping/stirring shows the most wear and tear.

Muddlers were used for making beer/Spirits so maybe it goes back to prohibition times or just home brewing.

I'm familiar with that area of New York, and back in the day it was all mostly dairy farms and corn fields (now all horses, no more cows!) with defunct textile mills.