What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The little things add up. Boosting your yield beyond 1g/watt

H

hulkbogan

I believe it. A buddy of mine pulls just under 3lbs per light with a super high yielding Jack H clone that is going around here. He grows ebb and flow with 3 weeks veg and 12 weeks flower if i remember.

I get the feeling that alot of commercial growers on IC would have better yields if they were growing proven high yielding clones. I get sad when I see people with 10Kw+ selecting moms from 10 packs of seeds or multiple strains on the same table etc..

If you want killer yields than monocrop with a proven high yielder. If you want killer smoke than thats another story.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I agree monocropping is an essential element, run the strain over and over until you get it perfect.

3lbs a light with 3 months flower, hmm that works out to .908 grams per watt every 60 days, which is pretty good and within reason. 3lbs a light in 9 weeks is pretty impressive, 1.21 gpw every 60 days.

Raphael

I agree monocropping is an essential element, run the strain over and over until you get it perfect.

3lbs a light with 3 months flower, hmm that works out to .908 grams per watt every 60 days, which is pretty good and within reason. 3lbs a light in 9 weeks is pretty impressive, 1.21 gpw every 60 days.

It is vital to include veg time and wattage as well as flower time and wattage to get an accurate gpw that takes into account the length of time the plant has been alive.

Lucas talked about this a lot and it came down to a ratio of total lifespan = 20% veg and 80% flower yielded the highest. That is actually exactly what 3 week veg 12 week flower is. Haha it matches I didn't even realize.

Cheers :dance:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
this thread is getting interesting.

mono-cropping is really the only way to get to know your plant. i know the plant i have now. 7 years of cloning. it took me almost 2 years to decide which expression i wanted. 15 beans of which 12 sprouted in 24 hrs, tossed the 3 that didn't. 1 was a mutant freak, no meristem. out of the 11 that were left 7 were female. one pheno was tall and lanky with sparse buds, one was a very short columnar plant with branches that zig-zagged, low weight and hard to clone. those went first. the five left were similar but growing and tracking clones from them proved 2 to be good yielders and those same 2 were the easiest to clone. finally, after all this, one proved to be a little shorter and a little heavier. anyway, what i've got now is super easy to clone, grows well in a variety of systems,is a great producer, great med high, the taste, and aroma are incredible. super smooth smoke.

it is sweet tooth #4, 3rd place finisher in the 2004 oregon norml med competition. a great med strain and a strong commercial plant at the same time. the plant was better than my technique originally. every time i improve the plant mysteriously gets better too. wat's up wid dat?

there are some pics of youngins' over in the passive plant killer thread.

i'm always interested in heavier yielding strains but i don't want to sacrifice quality and med effect. i have no competition around here. i don't even know anyone else who grows. i imagine cali is crawling with high quality cuttings. i have the only high quality bud in a sea of pressed mex bag schwag. it doesn't last long.

it would be nice to see what strains everyone is using.

D

dongle69

Losing 5% of your light in a vented hood/cooltube sounds small. The guy at my hydro shop said a cooltube will cut about 1/3 the lumens.
Pico has a hood test thread here.
2-3% loss from glass.
That won't translate to a 2% loss in yield.
It doesn't work like that.
Loss in yield will be negligible.

H

hulkbogan

It is vital to include veg time and wattage as well as flower time and wattage to get an accurate gpw that takes into account the length of time the plant has been alive.

Lucas talked about this a lot and it came down to a ratio of total lifespan = 20% veg and 80% flower yielded the highest. That is actually exactly what 3 week veg 12 week flower is. Haha it matches I didn't even realize.

Multiple 1000w hps for flowering and probably vegged under the same. Pumping out AAA Jack Herer. The GPW may not be amazing but the system works good and high quality Jack Herer can fetch a good price. Probably makes more with this system than doing a traditional 8 week indica due to higher compensation.

intlplayr

I tried to work this out on paper but apparently my math skills aren't what they used to be :1help: . If my flowering time is 60 days and represents 80% of the equation, anyone know what the formula is to figure out what the 20% is? I know it has to be a fairly simple formula but I can't seem to jog my math memory....

E

EvilTwin

lol...
My math is pretty rust too, but wouldn't it be...
60=80%X so solving for X would give you 75
That would leave 15 as the other 20%

but this is sort of out-of-context since I wasn't really following the discusssion.
ET

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried to work this out on paper but apparently my math skills aren't what they used to be :1help: . If my flowering time is 60 days and represents 80% of the equation, anyone know what the formula is to figure out what the 20% is? I know it has to be a fairly simple formula but I can't seem to jog my math memory....

maybe I didn't understand(I'm not native English sorry) but maybe do you need this?:
60:80=0,75

0,75X20=15

sorry if I didn't understand,however very nice 3d!

intlplayr

Thanks!

Also, proably another noob question but here goes. When Lucas talks about the 20/80 rule for veg / flower times respectively, does anyone know what exactly is he referring to in regards to when the veg time clock starts?

Do I start the veg time from the day I plant the clone for example?
The day the clones are well rooted and ready to transplant?
Sprouted seedling?

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks!

Also, proably another noob question but here goes. When Lucas talks about the 20/80 rule for veg / flower times respectively, does anyone know what exactly is he referring to in regards to when the veg time clock starts?

Do I start the veg time from the day I plant the clone for example?
The day the clones are well rooted and ready to transplant?
Sprouted seedling?

I think It's referred to growing of the plant so the veg start when the clone starts to grow,already rooted.
Or when the seedling open the cotyledons,when the first green appears on them and photosynthesis starts.

this thread is getting interesting.

"...it is sweet tooth #4, 3rd place finisher in the 2004 oregon norml med competition. a great med strain and a strong commercial plant at the same time. the plant was better than my technique originally. every time i improve the plant mysteriously gets better too. wat's up wid dat?..."

I yielded 1.5 lbs off of 4 SWT#4 under an HPS 1000K, along with surrounding residual light off of 3 other HPS 1000K lights.

The SWT#4s were tall and I pruned them as well as super cropped them. They ended up with fat ass kolas.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, intlplayr, divide 60 by 8 = 7.5, then multipy 7.5 by 2 = 15. just a different way of doing it.

herbsman_os, i'm regularly getting 10 zips per plant, but i grow large plants with a longer veg. my passive plant killer thread has my pruning method for this strain. it produces a lot of fat colas and not much popcorn.

later d9

I too have noticed that week or two extra in veg with my strain (Blueberry x Alaskan Thunder**** crossed with a hog) , seem to have a significant difference in yield. I am still learning, but seems like bigger plant= bigger buds. Maybe someone could help me here. I top feed RW with a old RDWC acting as a res. I have seen these pics of aeroponics with such small plants and huge colas. I can see with aero that this is possible because of the massive root systems growing so fast early, but is there any way to go with a smaller plant in RW with a top feed situation for the same size flowers? And lets say bud a plant at 18 inches instead of the 30-36" that I have found is optimal for max yield? Seems to me like more developed root systems (which equals longer veg) is the obvious answer. Any thoughts?

socachi

maybe I didn't understand(I'm not native English sorry) but maybe do you need this?:
60:80=0,75

0,75X20=15

sorry if I didn't understand,however very nice 3d!

if 80% = 60 days
then 60 divided by 80% = 75
75-60=15 days
75 days x 80% = 60 days
75 days x 20% = 15 days

I hope this helps

E

EvilTwin

I too have noticed that week or two extra in veg with my strain (Blueberry x Alaskan Thunder**** crossed with a hog) , seem to have a significant difference in yield. I am still learning, but seems like bigger plant= bigger buds. Maybe someone could help me here. I top feed RW with a old RDWC acting as a res. I have seen these pics of aeroponics with such small plants and huge colas. I can see with aero that this is possible because of the massive root systems growing so fast early, but is there any way to go with a smaller plant in RW with a top feed situation for the same size flowers? And lets say bud a plant at 18 inches instead of the 30-36" that I have found is optimal for max yield? Seems to me like more developed root systems (which equals longer veg) is the obvious answer. Any thoughts?

I understand what your saying...bigger plant means bigger buds. But look at all the resources used to grow that bigger plant. The easiest way to counter that position is to offer an example of small plants getting excellent yields.

Look at the original "sea of green" style of growing. Ebb & Flow using very small plants (clones) that are vegged at most for a week. Done properly and carefully, that system can produce very respectable yields. Plants are lollypopped for maximum density.

Yield calculations vary by method which makes it difficult to compare systems. But yield SHOULD include time. And in my mind veg time is also a consideration. If I can get 1 gram/watt with no veg time vs 1 gram/watt vegging for 6 weeks...I'll chose the former.
ET

D

danimal7

I dont know if anyone mentioned the following....
trim up little bullshit branches before flowering
just take the tops at harvest and leave the lower stuff to get more direct light and put on more wieght

Balazar

This thing is the shit. I have a 5k RDWC with SOG screen for flowering and I use that gadget to control the fans that push fresh air in and suck hot out through a carbon scrubber. I use air cooled hood fans that use a separate cooling system. In the winter no AC is required. No CO2 but I'm still creeping up on 2 GPW. I veg for about 4-6 weeks throwing out weaklings and runts. I prune the lesser bottom branches and prune all of the large fan leaves before flower. I think that checking ph/TDS every day is the most important thing to pay attention to. Keeping the canopy even is second. I do that with pieces of wire that i hook at each end and pull the tops back down to the SOG net. Check out the pics in my photo album.

noone88

You can still use an air cooled hood without the glass. Attach a fan on both the beginning and end of the ducting, but only intake/exhaust from inside the grow room.

This allows airflow to constantly go over the bulb, which will cool it, and allow you to bring the hood closer to the tops.