What's new

Sheriffs knocked on my door

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
So i was growing in CA for years at my home. Things have been heating up in town and the time came for me to start another venture. My last rip was about 2 months ago.
I just got a call from my house/dog sitter that said sheriffs knocked on the door and said that they had a lot of smell complaints and asked my sitter if there was a garden in my home. She said No. They asked if there was EVER a garden in the home that she knows about. She said she did not think so. They said they could not smell anything. One officer walked around the sides of the house. They asked for our names and phone numbers, and told her to tell us to call him.
I have a closet filled with grow equipment, and no more herb than i am allowed to have at the house.
I heard from an employee at the local power company that sheriffs somehow subpeoned a list of every residence running a power bill over 1,000$. She is relatively high up and works in the office/managerial side of things. Our power bill was always close, but never reached 1,000.
We live in a very secluded area and have no nearby neighbors, except one that are totally clueless. We were at it for 5+ years at this place. It always smelled a bit at harvest, but otherwise not really.
Just wondering your folks thoughts on the matter. Any tips for when i call the guy?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey in reply,,,
I would tread very carefully before ringing and engaging with leo,,
maybe take some legal advice or make the call in the presence of your lawyer,,,i go with hipster!,,maybe your neighbours not as "clueless" as you may believe,,,
good luck,,peace and regards 944s2:tiphat:

If you are legal then you're fine.

The only reason he wants to speak with you is to put you in jail. The less said to him the better. He will hear what he wants. Anything you say can be twisted. Retain a lawyer. If he contacts you again you will have current and local lawyer advice. I think most lawyers will say to ignore the leo or have the leo contact the lawyer directly.

Put up No Trespassing signs and a gate/chain across drive if you don't want him coming to knock on the door again. Does not stop some from walking up and states vary but the signs do give legal protection in some cases (I have read).

The real thing is to stay legal. I also know that is easier said than done for those who still live in certain areas. Best of luck!

Jhhnn

Veteran
They probably have a line on you from some other direction, like an informant.

Yeh, that, your power bill, or heat signature. Their odor complaint is likely just a ploy. Do not underestimate their information gathering capabilities or their persistence.

Consult an attorney. Get legal & stay that way, including local ordinance.

F

fishwhistle

"I heard from an employee at the local power company that sheriffs somehow subpeoned a list of every residence running a power bill over 1,000$. She is relatively high up and works in the office/managerial side of things"

This sounds like total bullshit to me,they would have to have a reason/probable cause on each and every address to subpoena that kind of info,not to say they would not stoop to obtaining it illegally.You cant just get a subpoena that blanket covers everyone with a power co. account,lol.

Snype

Veteran
"I heard from an employee at the local power company that sheriffs somehow subpeoned a list of every residence running a power bill over 1,000$. She is relatively high up and works in the office/managerial side of things"

This sounds like total bullshit to me,they would have to have a reason/probable cause on each and every address to subpoena that kind of info,not to say they would not stoop to obtaining it illegally.You cant just get a subpoena that blanket covers everyone with a power co. account,lol.

Yeah that's a good point. That post scared the shit out of me. My power bill is over 1k and growing.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Great advice folks. Let me clarify a bit.

I currently have NO garden in my house. No plants. Only equipment and a relatively small amount of herb. I do have about 2lbs of kief and a case of butane and an unused glass tube. I know thats a no-no, but i have never used either. The glass is clean and no empty butane tanks are there, as i have never used them. I do have some other stuff and will not be able to totally clean the house until i get back from a trip in about 5 days.

Our neighbors have always been very friendly with us. Its a second home for them and we keep an eye after their property while they are between visits. If its smell i'd guess its fed-ex or something like that informing. Or the power thing. I am involved in an off-premise grow, but not on a day to day basis. Every couple weeks though, and more during trimming.

I really appreciate all the perspectives, pretty great community we have here. I was going to call the guy back, and now i am not so sure.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
get rid of the tube and you are legal?
stay legal, stay safe.

smell could have come directly off of YOU rather than from your house, sounds like.

get counsel before contacting LEO

I say fk em lol if they have an issue then they will find a way to reach u & if they had any evidence or a case then they wouldve arrested u already. My opinion is to keep on doin what u doin but use this as a steppin stone to insure that they dnt catch u off guard. Life is a game of chess, the only time we lose is wen we let ppl think 2 steps ahead of us.. So always b smart and think around the box.. Good luck & wish u the best

W

WeetisPotPie

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to take some of my first profit and put a retainer down for a good attorney. Try and find one who specializes in marijuana or drug law. I would say they could be fishing...it's not uncommon. People get nervous around Leo, tend to say stuff they shouldn't or wouldn't say. I doubt it would be your neighbors, especially if you have a good relationship and haven't grown in a while. Could be some idiot from years before who got popped for something and just threw out your name. Doesn't sound like they have shit on you, if they did they wouldn't knock.

This is only true if the power company does not want to hand over the info. LE can ask for anything and if the power company just complies then it is done. I have heard this kind of thing happens alot at some offices and none at others. I really have no idea.

shithawk420

Veteran
Holy shit!2 pounds of kief?jeez,isn't that still illegal though?and if they got a subpoena that means they had enough evidence to get one.either way be careful bro.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Assume that you and your garbage are being watched, for an indefinite time in the future. They like to knock and talk and watch what happens next. Smell could be a made-up excuse - it's surprising they didn't ask for permission to search. Expect them to be more aggressive with that next time.

dogbite1

Something similar happen to me years ago, right before the med laws kicked in.

They came knocking, I didn't anwser the door, two weeks later they came back and raided me. You have some great advice here. Get rid of everything and wait to see if things blow over.

They have you on their radar now, definitely get rid of the Kief and Glass tubes, it's not worth your freedom.

Stay safe and good luck
DB

Jhhnn

Veteran
Assume that you and your garbage are being watched, for an indefinite time in the future. They like to knock and talk and watch what happens next. Smell could be a made-up excuse - it's surprising they didn't ask for permission to search. Expect them to be more aggressive with that next time.

Something similar happen to me years ago, right before the med laws kicked in.

They came knocking, I didn't anwser the door, two weeks later they came back and raided me. You have some great advice here. Get rid of everything and wait to see if things blow over.

They have you on their radar now, definitely get rid of the Kief and Glass tubes, it's not worth your freedom.

Stay safe and good luck
DB

And there it is, the truth. The only thing missing is the attorney you should have hired yesterday to put between you & LEO.

It may blow over- OTOH, you may just think it's blown over. LEO can be very patient & persistent. Now that they have a line on you, whatever it is, that location must be 100% legal at all times or you're taking too much risk. That's today, six months or 2 years from now. Their computers don't forget.

If that's bad news, figure it's better than the news they want to give you.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Ok, more good tips rolling in. Much appreciate it.

Then there's Red Berry, go away please, your contributions are jibberish. Either write a coherent sentence or go muddy up another thread.

definitely never going to grow in this house again, until its totally legal, and then i'll be doing it outside. Grow equipment is going to be moved as soon as i am back. Anyone need any..haha

The kief will need to be moved as well and the tube is only around because i have not wanted to toss it out, but have no intention of using it. Foolish, i know. Should have tossed it a while ago.

I am a little concerned that i will not be able to completely clean house for a little while because i am not around, but why would they ever let me know that they are suspecting wrongdoing, if they had what they needed to get a warrant? Why show your hand unless you are at a standstill in an investigation? My town is a BIG growing community and recently cops have been raiding all over. Ridiculous because we have some of the friendliest med laws of any county in cali, but they do what they do, regardless.

What do y'all think about going over to another grow house? Obviously need to watch if anyone is following, but it is possible to walk there through a forest. My gut is telling me to steer clear for a while.

Ur in kinda weird position because nothing that happened is typical. If they had any evidence then it should have ben a raid or an arrest made already so i dnt think thats an issue. I dnt think it was the neighbors who told. It could b an informant in the mix. Jus becareful, cops play a dirty dirty game. The laws have time limits but once u make the radar, u pretty much stay on the radar. Best suggestions i can give would be, #1. If u are legal already than jus abide by the limits in that house and make another area at another location to grow out ur extra curricular activities like a family member or friend house that u can trust. #2 move to another location (discreetly) probably at nite. Or #3 stop everything u doing and lay low for a while.. Its all ur decision, i was always told if i do sumthing than go all in.