What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

? Broad mites and heat treatment.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Currently in the second week of flowering and have realized I'm dealing with broad mites. Yes, they are broad mites, have confirmed with a scope. No, I'm not going to spray with any miticide or pesticides anywhere near flowering, so please don't even suggest it.

Question I have is for retro grow or anyone else who has managed the Borg with heat treatment. Is the 120f for the room or do u guys check leaf temp with a laser thermometer? The only way I can get leaf temp to 120 is if the room/air temp is 135-145f. So what do u guys think?

Got my hands on some uncounted aspirin, will begin treatment immediately, also have og bio foliar. A little concerned about residual talc on flowering plants from foliar spraying og bio foliar; even after letting it settle the remaining talc , minute as it may be concerns me. Should I be?

robotwithdreams

Veteran
I have read almost every page of that broad mites sticky and am unclear on the above mentioned temperature discrepency. Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Thanks for chiming in weezard.
Of course, but we don't burn and inhale talcum powder. And that was my concern. It might very well be completely benign, but I figured I should ask. I do love the og bio stuff. Love it.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
I must admit to you all that I have been struggling with this problem for almost a full year without actually knowing what was making my girls so miserable. Until last week I thought it was a multiple of other issues, bad nutrients, virus, fungal problems, overwatering, pollination from hermies. I kept trying to address these perceived issues without any success, with my last crop be completely trash. I grow strictly for myself and am beginning to run really low.

Now two weeks into flower the problems began to manifest themselves again beginning with dead pistils almost immediately after flowering. Back to the internet, finally came across the broad mites thread. What an revelation, broke out the scope and bam. There they were, marching about full speed, even observed males carrying eggs about. How demoralizing, so devastated.

Ickis

Veteran
You need to take cuttings of what you absolutely need or want to try and save. Then diligently clean and treat those cuttings. Or take the mom and trim her down to one growing tip with a few tiny leaves and clean and treat that plant with whatever route you plan on going. Chem vs organic or physical. If you grow from seed then you need to just start over after thoroughly cleaning your room.

I didn't have good luck with heat treatment because my plants didn't survive it. You have to figure in the vitality of the plant you are treating. Old elite clones don't have the vigor to survive some things like newer plants from seed.

Retro has been growing a minute and just because he can do things doesn't mean everyone can follow in his footsteps. If this was hang gliding Retro could jump off any mountain he wanted too. Others could die following him. LOL! It isn't like baking a cake. You have to be diligent and read your plants closely while you cook them.

Hopefully you grow from seeds or can get cuttings back from friends. Broad mites are wicked. Even if you kill them you are not going to instantly get rid of the toxins. The chances of your present grow having any taste or potency are pretty damn low.

I sorry this has happened to you. I consider myself a very good grower and broad mites wasted 2 years of growing for me.

calikush4life

check these out.. there is no bug or egg... not even on the most wrinkled leaf... using 100x microscope.. (i started another thread with more info BROAD MITES?? NEED HELP ASAP)

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Thanks for dropping by Ickis. I may very well just end up doing that. Scrap and start over. It's just that after scrapping my last project I started from fresh beans, mostly bodhi and connoisseur genetics. I would hate to give up these genes since I have been waiting for some time to try their stuff. Most plants are not not giving me much leaf damage, just dead pistils. Couple were completely stunted and terrible leaf curling, no lateral growth. So they are already trashed.

I was hoping that the aspirin would mitigate the damage from the toxins, and the predators for the mite population. But again I might just end up taking your advice.

How did you deal with them, avid with other miticides , ovicides. Or did you manage to find some biological methods.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Sorry cali kush, it's really hard for me to tell what's going on there. If you really can't see anything with the scope, maybe something unsavory going on in your grow medium?

Good luck .

robotwithdreams

Veteran
I tried the heat treatment last night, and still saw the little buggers crawling about. Younger ones seem to have been affected, but larger buggers were moving about just fine, albeit a bit slower.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
burn every plant you own, disinfect everything and spray down with avid/ forbid, then bleach everything then start from scratch.

Wordbooty

I am battling broad mites on this run as well. I killed them off using Avid at 1ml/gal and the dunk method. If you don't like the chemicals, I have heard of people killing them with Nuke Em with great success, it's food grade, can be used all the way to week 8 of flower. They have a great regiment and breakdown of how to use their product on their website. You also have predator mites or burning sulfur as proven ways to if not kill them, then knock them back enough to finish this run and then get crazy with the cleaning. I don't work for Nuke Em, I only have friends that have beat broad mites with the product here in San Diego. It's been a huge problem here as of late.

Wordbooty

Also predator mites or burning sulfur are other options worth trying. Just my 2 cents :) I feel for you bro. Its depressing.

prune

Veteran
They lurk in their hidden reservoirs and are almost impossible to eradicate until you address that fact. Lodged deep in the apical meristem they are largely immune to contact mitecides and heat treatments, in fact those applications seem to drive a seed population into the soil to regenerate later.

Been dealing with these bastards for a few weeks now, and man what a frustrating problem. Nuke'em has been a saving grace in my battle as of since. I took a two week set back when the problem first set in during veg. But growth bounced back 10 fold after I used nuke'em every day. I was a fool and stopped using it a for about 2 weeks and watch those bastards try to take over again. So I've learned take no prisoners when it comes to broad mites. It's not oil based so won't clog stomata which is why its ok to get overboard with the stuff. I literally drench my rooms on medium strength. Nuke'em very other 3 days and Rotate some Monteray spinodad in the mix every week and never stop with preventative maintenance, it goes a long ways. Clean clean clean.

Latest posts

Latest posts