What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

clones wont adapt 2 sun

Epic Prodigy

I hope this is the right place for this, if not I am sorry.

My clones still will not accept being put in full sun for more than 15-20 minutes before they start drooping and some even start to double over completely but they all bounce right back after about 10 minutes in the shade.

They cant even handle the morning light...all I can give them is about a half hour of sunset light in the evening and then maybe 15-20 minutes of light in the morning before they start to hate life....then back to the shade.

I know this is normal for the first few days but I have been doing this for NEARLY A MONTH NOW....... I wanted these clones in the ground by late may! WTF?

This is completely unheard of to me and I am about to give up and just plant half out in full sun and half in full shade and see what happens.

Epic Prodigy

Yes I they came from harborside with roots coming out the rockwool cubes and they said they should be about ready for transplant so I put them in pots a few days later.This was around the middle of may.

Ickis

Veteran
I use my minnow nets and put them in a box covered with 2 layers of net. I leave them somewhere where they get morning sun for a few days. Then I move them to a spot where hey get normal sun for a few days. Then I remove one layer of net and after a few days I remove the other net and they are fine.

That being said I have never had them droop from being in the sun. They start to look burned, yellowed and faded. They will eventually come out of it with new growth being fine but it takes a while.

Yours sound like they are not rooted real good.

Get some netting or cheese cloth. You can also use wood slats that you just leave fine cracks between them for some light to go through. After a few days widen the gaps just a wee bit. keep doing that until they get almost full light.

You know those bamboo screens that people have on their porches that they roll up and down? They work great.

You can buy shade cloth. You could use a thin white sheet or T-shirt. After a few days start poking holes in it to let in more sun.

Window screen also works well. Use a couple layers at first.

Epic Prodigy

OK awesome I will try any of those that I have the materials for thank you.

I figured putting them in the shadow cast by a outbuilding would be enough but perhaps they would get more "safe"
light using these methods.

B gump

What soil medium did you use? With the temps were seeing right now in CA, a lot of things can effect the hardening off fresh clones. Next year start in April when the temps are cooler.
Try giving them some EWC tea it helps with stress in the plant. Good luck, live and learn.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day EP

Sounds to me like the roots haven`t taken to the medium .
When pushed for more osmosis / transpiration they can`t keep up . Try some root booster of some description . To get a better root system . Maybe foliar feed for a week or two to take some strain off the roots ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Epic Prodigy

Thank you I was going to ask if temp was a major factor as it has been between 105 and 110 here for quite some time...still a month seems exsessive to me....I used greenfields with added pearlite and ewc plus dr earths metabolic transformer. I also have been giving them aact.

I agree with starting earlier...we just moved and I wasnt going to grow because by the time we got settled it was mid May and I didnt figure I had enough time to plant without it (how late it was) seriously affecting my yield and plant size.

I was then told by many people in the area that around here if you plant by June 1st you will be able to get you plants to their maximum potential because we often have late summers and people can sometimes leave their crop out until November.

I dont know how true this is but it seems sound logic to me and so I went and got some clones hoping for a late may planting but now I am not sure that what I was told still applies as it is quite a ways past June first and I have no experience planting this late...I prefer April as you mentioned or I hear even late march is somtimes possible around here.

I know this is somewhat off topic but I feel it is silly to start a whole new thread so I will ask here...If what the growers around here say is true and I can leave my crop out until late October give or take, and if I can get these girls adapted to the sun in the next few days, could I still have time to get my plants to their full potential?

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
I'd start over with fresh babies. If they can't take sun now, even in the heat, there is something wrong. Harborside has been known to dole out some duds.

Epic Prodigy

I'd start over with fresh babies. If they can't take sun now, even in the heat, there is something wrong. Harborside has been known to dole out some duds.

OK thank you I will get some more.

That being said the same question would still apply to the fresh ones.....

If what the growers around here say is true and I can leave my crop out until late October give or take, would that be enough time to get my plants to their maximum potential?

I have alot to learn I know but in a climate im familiar and a well built soil I have come to expect between 8-12 lbs from my plants....which I suppose is what im refering to as their "full potential".

I would not have even grown this year except as I said several growers in the area, including several who know my farming techniques and several who grow 10-15 pounders, had said that I could still reach those yeilds if I planted by June 1st...

I am just wondering if that sounds like reliable information or if they were just overmedicated...

Ickis

Veteran
If you planted a Strain X clone right now on June 10 and then you planted another clone from Strain X on July 10 they would both finish at the same time. The June 10 plant will just be bigger because it vegged longer. They will both start to flower at the same time and depending on the strain it will be 8 to 12 weeks until you harvest. Unless they are some long 20 week sativa.

Epic Prodigy

If you planted a Strain X clone right now on June 10 and then you planted another clone from Strain X on July 10 they would both finish at the same time. The June 10 plant will just be bigger because it vegged longer. They will both start to flower at the same time and depending on the strain it will be 8 to 12 weeks until you harvest. Unless they are some long 20 week sativa.

ok thank you...

So the overall answer to my question would be; No I cannot expect to get these plants as big as if I had planted them a month ago.What I was told about being able to still get them just as big as a plant planted a month ago was false.

I am wondering then what sort of size and yield I could expect from a clone from strain x planted on june 15 from a person who normally produces 10-15 foot, 10 lb plants with a clone of that same strain if it is planted may 1st?

I am open to ballpark oppinions of course...I just want to know what to expect so that I am not overly dissapointed by a yield well below expectations...

Put some greenhouse fabric or shade cloth over them and make sure the cubes stay wet until they are good and rooted. Are they just sitting outside or in a greenhouse?

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
If you get decent genetics out soon, in good sun and enough soil..200+ gallons, I would expect 3-5.

B gump

I agree with the 3-5 # mark on 200 gallon if u have no more hiccups. But 2 is more realistic with the heat we've been seeing. With your new fresh clones, keep them inside, and introduce them to the outside in couple hour increments.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The older the plant the harder the transition to heat and hot sun will be. I usually do it like this, first afternoon i put them in mild to medium shadow and leave there overnight, then next morning I put them in the final place they will stay in. Always make sure they have enaugh water, never water them with cold water or when the sun is at is hottest, and never water the plant itself while the sun is up, just water the sourrounding soil. Watering after sunset or before sunrise is best, anyway.

theJointedOne

Veteran
i just put some clones in dirt and under a tree....it gets filtered light during the day. Nothing direct really. 5 days of this and they usually are ready for the full sun.

Epic Prodigy

Thank you all so much the info was very helpful.

To answer a few questions that were asked:

-My holes are 9 foot in diameter and 2 feet deep which I think is around 900 gallons and possibly makes me a contender for the largest around.I only place soil down to 18" though the last 6" is local soil mixed with compost and pearlite.

- The plants were placed outside in the shade of an outbuilding but with open blue sky above them.

-The soil I am using this year is roots organics greenfields with added dolomite and roots organics uprising pre blended soil amendments. I also use dr earths metabolic transformer. I suppliment this by feeding with botanicares pure blend pro line.

I prefer a prebuilt custom soil but I think I mixed up a dirt that is comparable in quality given my time and budget.

Latest posts

Latest posts