What's new

Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)

G

Hey, I was watching T.V. the other day only to see an interesting medical ad. This ad was about a newly diagnosed syndrome called Restless Leg Syndrome. I have had this syndrome for as long as I can remember. People who suffer from it typically feel like the muscles in their leg are very tense and must either move relieve the feeling of tension, or watch their leg kinda do a little jerky movement of its own accord. It was stated during the ad that doctors do not know what causes RLS or how to properly treat it. Well, I wanted to share that I have so far found sativas to actually work best at preventing your legs from tensing up, or if they are tensed up atm relieving the tension. I hope this information helps some of you.

By the way, the sats. I have tried that worked very good so far were:

Love Potion #1
Swamp Heroin
Columbian Gold

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Sativas providing you with relief huh, thats very interesting. :)
......................................................................................................
What is Restless legs Syndrome?
Restless Legs Syndrome is a disorder characterized by disagreeable leg sensations, usually prior to sleep onset, that cause an almost irresistable urge to move the legs.

What Does Restless Legs Feel Like?
RLS sufferes say it feels like:

* a "crawling" sensation
* a "creeping" inside the calves
* aches and pains in the legs
* an urge to constantly move the legs

What Relieves the Symptoms?

The only thing that seems to relieve the discomfort is to move the legs. streching them or getting up and walking around on them.* Unfortunately, this interrupts the sleep cycle, so people with RLS are often very tired from lack of sleep. ...
http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/rls.html

[* and Medical Cannabis apparently ;) :) ]

.....................................................................................................
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) is a movement disorder that has been recognized to affect people for at least a few hundred years, but which was officially named only about 60 years ago.

What does Restless Legs Syndrome feel like?

People with Restless Legs Syndrome can experience their symptoms very differently. It can also be difficult for patients to describe their symptoms. Many people with Restless Legs Syndrome feel a strong, irresistible urge to move their legs whenever they sit or lie down. They may also have uncomfortable sensations in their legs, often described as creeping, crawling, tingling, or pulling.

When can Restless Legs Syndrome symptoms occur?

Certain situations that involve prolonged periods of sitting or inactivity can provoke Restless Legs Syndrome symptoms. Some people report that their symptoms occur while they are traveling, sitting in a long meeting, or attending a concert or movie. For others, symptoms can occur while they are trying to relax or when they are trying to go to sleep.

The symptoms typically begin or worsen in the early evening and at night. Movement, including walking or stretching, can provide some relief as long as the activity continues.

Restless Legs Syndrome can keep sufferers from getting enough sleep, and it can have a serious impact on their daily activities. Many people with Restless Legs Syndrome see their doctor about their inability to sleep, but do not realize that Restless Legs Syndrome may be the cause of their sleep disruption.

Who gets Restless Legs Syndrome?

Both men and women can have Restless Legs Syndrome, but it seems to affect more women than men. Restless Legs Syndrome can begin at any age. Research has also shown that more than 50%, or over half, of those with primary Restless Legs Syndrome report having a family member with Restless Legs Syndrome.

Because Restless Legs Syndrome can affect the quality of sleep, it may be misdiagnosed as a sleep disorder.
Lack of recognition by doctors can lead to frustration for many sufferers.
http://www.restlesslegs.com/ar.html
......................................................................................................

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a class of antidepressants. They act within the brain to increase the amount of the neurotransmitter, serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT), in the synaptic gap by inhibiting its reuptake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor
.......................................................................................................
Restless Legs Syndrome Information for Patients and Caregivers
http://www.wemove.org/rls/

:)

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
ahhh, the 'jimmy' leg!

ahhh, the 'jimmy' leg!

sometimes gets you in the arm, too...the jimmy arm!

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i wanna lay down and go to sleep but my legs wanna run around the block ,i wish they would go with out waking me up every 2 hrs or so i really sux i also noticed on the nights i smoked a strong sativa i slept better them nights and that was just recently :yoinks:

G

metoo Chuck... every two hours... and I do believe that sativas would help it more than indicas... Indicas help me fall asleep but the jimmy legs wake me in a couple of hours... I'll pay more attention to what I smoke and when... maybe a nice blend at bedtime...

guineapig

Veteran
oh lord i have suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome......it has something to do wih the regulation of neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine or maybe norepinephrine or acetylcholine......it has something to do with circadian rhythms because my RLS would set in always at around 10 pm and went away around dawn (6 am).....it was like a living hell and was responsible for my inablilty to sleep for nine days straight.....i wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy......

i am so very glad that there is a cure for it and commend the big pharmaceutical companies for coming up with a pill to fight RLS.....however, once again, it looks like there is some powerful anecdotal evidence that suggests that certain strains of Cannabis can be effective in the treatment of RLS.....hopefully more formal research will be conducted and certain strains will be isolated.....

-gp out :wave:

newbgrow

I guess I have had what you would call the RLS, but I would rather call it a bad habit. I still "suffer" from it from time to time. But it is very easy to stop - you just have to be conscious of it and stop it on your own will.

On a side topic, I think it's ridiculous these so-called "doctors" keep medicalizing every little thing as a "disorder". They want to tell people something's wrong with them. Is it for the money through selling people bullshit pharmaceutical drugs? Or is it a social thing where people are getting more and more paranoid about different things that may be wrong with them? I believe the so-called RLS is just a side effect of anxiousness, that if uncontrolled, becomes a bad habit.

I find such similarity with, say, ADHD. Any kid in his right mind gets bored in math lectures. Some more than others. Is that a disorder? No fuckin' way.

G

obviously newb, you have never experienced RLS... It is a far cry from a nervous habbit... the leg cramps I experience are annoying as hell, and border on painful...

G

It can also be a symptom/side effect of diabetic neuropathy and / or renal dysfunction. It has not kept me up for 9 days, 4 days was enough and then I made a batch of the "snikerdoodles" found around here, I completely OD'd on them just to get some sleep. Ingestion is now part of my regular regimen. Baked Sativa works best for my RLS.
I wouldn't wish this on anyone, hey newbgrow, wanna trade?

Woof

G

Man,when i saw that commercial i was like wow :woohoo: .Ill be trying to sleep and my legs get wicked restless and tingly.I have to get up and shake my legs,sometimes when im lying down i have to shake the shit out of my legs and it gets old fast :moon: .I always wondered about what the deal was til i saw the Com.When i sit down my legs are constantly goin up and down like im kickin the pedals on a double bass drum,and it gets worse towards the night(the restlessness and twitching).Im thinking about checking into the info from that Ad to see what can be done.Man,seems pretty common :fsu: .Time to smoke some unkown Sativa and see if it helps(usually only smoke this blend in the morn,lol.)Peace All :joint: DWW

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
its like the difference between headache sufferers and true migraine sufferers.....if all you've ever had is a really really bad headache you're not gonna understand what migraine sufferers go through......similarly, if all you've ever had is a really bad case of leg cramps, your're not gonna understand the sufferings of people with RLS......i would never have believed it if i hadn't experienced RLS myself.....

and i also have suffered from migraines since i was 14 years old......my mother still thinks i'm just "acting" for attention or something......she just can't understand because she's never had a true migraine.....so newb is definately lucky in this case. but just doesn't understand a true case of RLS.....but i do agree with him that there seems to be all sorts of phony "illnesses" that keep popping up, especially in the field of mental health.....-kind regards from gp :wave:

B

baccas125

I have been a life long sufferer. For years i have had these experiences. I suit here right now with my calf twitching becuase its past my bed time. Amazing that there is actualy a name for this and a study done. I just thought it was me and a half nervouse habbit.

G

Thank you for the useful information Boggled. I was in the same boat as BubbleBuddy until I saw the commercial about 2 weeks ago up here in the Great Green North. It seems that quite a few of us thought it was just something that affected only us (one person out of how many billion).

KingRalph

it's come and gone throughout the years, i remember being very young and at night my legs would be so ridiculously restless, it was incredibly annoying. i would try running in place for a while, most of the time to no avail. the situation still arises sometimes, but not as severely. however with some herbs that i smoke, my legs will twitch uncontrollably. weird stuff.

p.s. how much ya wanna bet there are cannabinoid receptors in the brain and legs poised to control/help the causes of this as well eh? hence why some herbs could make it go off in the legs again. like suppressing hunger or mgetting munchies... cannabinoids work in wonderous ways...

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
yes kingralph i agree that cannabinoid receptors are somehow involved....

the reason being is that when opiate addicts go into withdrawls they invariably experience restless leg symptoms.....this is why quitting opiates is called "kicking" like "kick the habit".....somehow our natural opiate and opioid receptors are related to our nighttime leg-twitching.....

so if you think about our natural cannabinoid system as kind of a back-up opiate system (or maybe a more "primitive" neurological system), then it would make sense that Cannabis would help reduce the symptoms or RLS.....

i wonder what's in that new RLS pill anyway? i'll go check it out.....-gp out :wave:

OXOSSI

They will come up with a new name for almost anything in order to sell you more crap. My favorite is the "acid reflux disease" (stop eating so much!)
People forget the importance of a proper diet and exercise, meditation and prayer. Americans want a quick fix for every ill, but it doesn't work that way always.
I would recommend stretching, tai-chi circular breathing and cutting down on junk-food, escpecially sugar. Perfumed sesame oil on the feet (soles particulary) before going to bed. This reduced stress.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RLS

RLS

When I saw that commercial I was surprised, cuz I have had that sensation in my legs also...It doesnt seem to be as bad as some of you guys have described but I get really those kinda feelings too, that I have to move my legs or I'm going to scream, It also seems to get worse at certain times, not sure why, maybe its the weed we are smoking or just the amount of excersize I have had that day, but it seems to get better when I lay down in bed, the sensation seems to ease up a bit and I can relax and go to sleep.I'm not going to take anything for it, pills just scare me, so I'll just keep on smokin and that will be all the help I need :D
thanks for the info guys, very helpfull to know that there are ppl that know what you are going thru.