What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trudeau: I Want to Legalize Weed, but They Won’t Let Me

Jhhnn

Veteran
Your opinion is always welcome, and I personally enjoy your comments on a variety of subjects, Jhhnn.

Much better than crass premature judgements from small minds, that's for sure.

No one knows what the future holds, but I'd bet it'll be a boobishly slow process.

Thank you. That's very much appreciated as are your comments in general.

Negative attitudes cloud judgment as a self fulfilling prophesy. It's no way to find a way.

Jhhnn

Veteran
That refers explicitly to the U.N treaty...

Why do you want to say otherwise baffles me...

Hopefully is as Mikel says and the reason why Canada can't do as Colombia or Uruguay in relation to U.N treaty is because of complex Canadian bureocracy...

It does refer to those treaties but puts words in Trudeau's mouth that he never said. Trudeau never said "I want to legalize weed but they won't let me."

They're saying Trudeau can't deliver before he's had a chance to do so. Trudeau's credibility is the target & legalization is the venue.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
"call a spade a spade"

Move down south, my ignorant friend. There's little room in Canada for your tripe or thinly veiled ignorance.

You didn't perhaps try to claim your ballcap as religious headgear recently, eh?

What kind of nitwit thinks cannabis supporters are a voting bloc? Even given the number of estimated pot smokers, deducting many as a result of apathy, you're looking at no more than a few hundred thousand. Not exactly the makings of an election win.

Your assumptions are poorly made, Jhhnn is simply pointing out the obvious.

The economy and taxes tend to be leading issues, but cannabis legalization plays directly into both of these issues. Potentially new legitimate jobs and also tax savings on the enforcement end (and possible income as well).

I think this issue was pretty important to more than just pot smokers. Canadians have pretty consistently polled in favor and usually it's for the reasons above.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed, but was it a key factor in a Liberal win?

Removing Harper and reforming his xenophobic policies strikes me as more relevant to the average Canadian in the last election. How hard did the press play up strategic voting? Albeit, a little late.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Agreed, but was it a key factor in a Liberal win?

Removing Harper and reforming his xenophobic policies strikes me as more relevant to the average Canadian in the last election. How hard did the press play up strategic voting? Albeit, a little late.

I understand getting rid of Harper was #1, but I know quite a few people who opted to vote Liberal over NDP because of the legalization stance.

Not the primary factor, but it is increasingly becoming a more and more important issue and I'd say it was one of the bigger issues this past election.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I voted to get rid of harper. pretty sure the choice was ndp in our area, and we pulled it off, which is remarkable for here.

Tynehead Tom

according to global news today, no money in todays lieberal budget for legalizing marijuana, speculation is no movement on the file in this platform. Looks like all the big city folks who voted for their infrastructure promises are getting burnt too.
on the plus side, I am quite pleased and pleasantly surprised at the budgetary commitments to Canada's aboriginal people.

it's time to start hitting our politicians with emails and written letters, from your local level governments , MP's and the pm's office. The persecution and prosecution of recreational and medicinal , at home marijuana growers needs to end. An amnesty needs to be put in place until the Lieberals can feasibly address and fulfill their election promises.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

why they need money for legalize?

I would imagine there will be a plethora of new government level positions open up across the country when weed is legalized, and they gotta get paid somehow.

simple fact, the lieberals legalization promise was nothing more than a ruse to get as many votes as possible.

the reality is, our system of government allows for an Order in Council to be put forward that would immediately end the persectution and prosecution of mom n pop growers, both recreation and medicinal, clear across the country, thru an amnesty. We should be asking ourselves why this is not happening as we speak. I know Canada's Judges are sending a clear message to the top and it is being ignored.

does anyone have any new info on the governments position regarding the 30 day time limit to appeal last months ruling?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Trudaeu also turned back Harper's decision to stop funding known terror groups...this looks uglier and uglier by the minute...

EL ROBUSTO

no money in todays lieberal budget for legalizing marijuana, speculation is no movement on the file in this platform. Looks like all the big city folks who voted for their infrastructure promises are getting burnt too.
on the plus side, I am quite pleased and pleasantly surprised at the budgetary commitments to Canada's aboriginal people.

it's time to start hitting our politicians with emails and written letters, from your local level governments , MP's and the pm's office. The persecution and prosecution of recreational and medicinal , at home marijuana growers needs to end. An amnesty needs to be put in place until the Lieberals can feasibly address and fulfill their election promises.

There's no money for any budget, there hasn't been for a long time and there won't be any time soon. There's never any money for even the most basic of services that we're entitled to through our taxes.
Remember folks taxes aren't voluntary there forced, don't pay your taxes and see what happens!!!!!
They do with our money as they please in case you haven't noticed.
Go figure a politico who lied, who would have thought.
Politics the biggest extortion racquette going the mob only wishes it could set themselves up like the government!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes it's very hard to tell the difference between the two nowadays it's almost impossible!!!!!

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
from the link supplied by TheGardner:

"Cannabis prohibition began with no scientific, medical or social justification, and was initiated as an effort to harass, punish and deport racial minorities;

The prohibition of cannabis has caused many social and economic harms, criminalized millions of Canadians for no benefit, and financed organized crime;

Cannabis has the potential to provide food, medicine, fibre, fuel and building materials; and
Cannabis medicines are safe and effective for treating a wide variety of ailments, yet are not readily available to all who require them."

pretty solid points, specially number 1.

It is funny how all the "scientists" that oppose cannabis still are able to hold jobs...

EL ROBUSTO

Just incase people were interested, 14,000 signatures on this petition so far https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-18

Unfortunately ink to paper is a lost cause, 14 000 plus signatures will go directly to the shredder signed petitions carry no weight.
Now 14 0000 plus bodies all gathered in Ottawa demanding that Trudeau and the Liberals make good on their lies, well that will carry weight and will also scare the living shit out of them.
Then watch what happens!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone remember the G20 in Toronto 5/6 years ago they have been training and organizing and getting ready to deal with the masses.
And what have we been doing all these years and decades absolutely fucking nothing other then bending over!!!!!!

EastCoastIndica

according to global news today, no money in todays lieberal budget for legalizing marijuana, speculation is no movement on the file in this platform. Looks like all the big city folks who voted for their infrastructure promises are getting burnt too.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been announced in the overall federal budget. Any costs for legalization would fall within the Health Canada and/or Public Safety departments budget who are responsible for legalizing so far.

Jhhnn

Veteran

Thanks for that-

The audience of government and non-governmental organization officials from around the world “erupted in applause” mid-way through the address and gave a prolonged ovation at the end, said Jason Nickerson, an Ottawa-based researcher who is attending the meeting.

It's never really been the UN. It's been the UN & Canada dancing to Uncle Sam's tune.

Tynehead Tom

ahhhh, but wait a minute...... here's where the thought plickens....... trudeau put Bill Blair , a man with a deep history in law enforcement, in charge of the Pot profile..... not the minister of public safety, nor the ministry of health.

EastCoastIndica

"The Vienna conference is a precursor to the UN General Assembly’s special session on drugs this year, which will consider a possible overhaul of international narcotics treaties and their law and order approach."

I thought this line from the news link was very interesting.

EastCoastIndica

ahhhh, but wait a minute...... here's where the thought plickens....... trudeau put Bill Blair , a man with a deep history in law enforcement, in charge of the Pot profile..... not the minister of public safety, nor the ministry of health.

Bill Blair is parliamentary secretary to the justice minister and is going to be overseeing Health Canada, Public Safety and the Provinces as they start to figure out how,what when where and why.

Bill Blair is a Liberal, and he does support the legalization of pot, as do many police chiefs/forces across Canada.

I know everyone is upset/frustrated he was given the job but myself I think it's a brilliant move by Trudeau. Lets say they put Emery or some other pro-pot drum banger in charge. It would be easy to get the laws overturned in court or say there was bias and start from scratch, especially if/when another party comes to power. But it's pretty hard to challenge when the guy in charge that oversaw everything is a former top cop.

My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Latest posts