What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana ‘hash oil' explosions on rise

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hash Oil (and any extracted cannabinoids) are hard drugs. Period.

Ask any addiction expert, police officer, or judge.

I'll leave you to your sources. I personally don't trust police officers or judges. And what the fuck is an addiction expert? Sounds like a ass clown in need of a real job.

"Any extracted cannabinoids" are hard drugs??????

I hope you are getting paid for this or are at least open to taking evidence that you are wrong. I've seen extracted cannabinoids given to K9's to relieve ceasures, and the animal didn't turn to Kujo.

I've given dabs to many a human and none of them turned to crack fiends.

Give into the fact that your condition is not traditional, and your reaction to THC is psychosomatic.

:joint:

FatherEarth

Veteran
I will agree about the addictive qualities of oil. They are certainly addictive. I have gone through withdrawal from oil voluntarily and I will say it was like a mild opiate withdrawal. Restless leg, tossing and turning all night, sweats, irritated and mildly aggressive, loss of appetite. This lasted for about three days took a week to get a healthy appetite back. When I quit I was doing something like 14, .2g dabs a day. So no doubt its powerful and is something that needs to be respected. For some maybe it is too strong. Im a person who can handle the substances I use, and am confident I know what I am doing when I use them. So as it has been said before 'to each their own'. I do not believe that for the level of pain relief and other collective benefits is the withdrawal or physical dependence anywhere near that of opiates by comparison, or any other drug for that matter. Cannabis oil is the deal.. My final 2 cents.

Respectfully Oiled,

FE

Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
Hash Oil (and any extracted cannabinoids) are hard drugs. Period.

Ask any addiction expert, police officer, or judge.

Although I will not agree that any of the above mentioned are experts at anything except: violating our rights, fulfilling personal agendas, and 'just doing their job'...

Besides that who says something like this? Sounds like some sort of agent from the matrix referring to a judge or police officer as an expert on addiction..wtf?

Last edited:

imachefdammit

How many people have the money, or the inclination to build a properly purging rig like Grey Wolf did? Most *won't*, and most on the market isn't, and defending the entire hash oil industry because one really smart guy makes perfect bho does not change that. Enjoy your overmedication by all means if that's your thing, but stop trying to act like anyone not on the bho is an idiot.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
I'm sorry, but that slab ur holding up to the light outside looks horrible. U should have birds trying to fly thru it cus it's so clear, but that shit looks milky and waxy and bubbly as fuck! If that's what you consider quality, then I understand where your disconnect with the stuff is. And hell ya, I'd pass on "the clear", lol.

And you keep calling it junky shit, hah, ur an asshole with ur head up ur asshole.. I'm not the one that was addicted to synthetic cannabinoids, lol. Seriously... Synthetic cannabinoids.. Yikes dude.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I think almost everyone on both sides has said at least once that it needs to be made properly, I don't make BHO because I'd never be confident enough in my chemistry skills to use butane without proper equipment *I had actually planned to be a chemistry major but switched it for a more plant related course*. I'd need to know it was made to a good standard before buying it from anyone else.

I don't think BHO is always safe but I know that people will always attempt it even when it isn't, same with Cochine treated seeds, colchine is quite toxic and a cancer risk and needs to be treated responsibly if you want to work with it.

Not everyone will work with it safely and we can call them idiots, we can say that they should have put their dogs outside (valid criticism) BUT it's disproportionate to say that we wish them harm or life sentences, as for use of hyperbole, this is a news thread and we don't want it to be like FOX news, don't go acting like a Bill O'reilly.

Lets be honest cannabis isn't a "hard drug".

"Cannabis addiction" is an *addiction* not a *dependence*, I recently saw a website claiming that the length of Cannabis withdrawl "can be up to three days long".

While some people do (especially if they have underlying psychological issues) feel bad when deprived of Cannabinoids, the majority of us get on quite well. Except of course if the Cannabis is masking psychological problems we already have, I use Cannabis for my anxiety and compulsive behaviour as much as I do for enjopyment.

Don't say you hate BHO, say you want weed legalised and BHO regulated.

I appreciate that these explosions may set back legalisation by making a safe drug look dangerous, but some of use have been fed hydrocarbon (and even faeces) contaminated soapbar hash for years and you know what?

Unregulated and dangerous products are a reason to legalise and regulate rather than to keep things as they are.

If people say "BHO is dangerous = keep weed illegal"
we reply "While weed is illegal BHO will stay dangerous"

The way to make BHO safer is to licence it's production to people who can prove they know what they're doing and have the correct equipment.

Then we'll all be safer, the makers and the buyers.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Mr Paine, I have smoked pure melt drysift for 20 years, i have never felt addicted to it. It is not a hard drug. I can stop and go to the vape anytime I like. Maybe you are mistaking a habit with addiction. If you have ever quit tobacco you would know what addiction is.

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Marijuana ‘hash oil' explosions on rise in Orange County, CA

Marijuana ‘hash oil' explosions on rise in Orange County, CA

Marijuana ‘hash oil' explosions on rise
Orange County Register

Serious injuries, arrests, and damage to homes and garages are generating greater focus from authorities.

A series of explosions in Orange County that have blown out garage doors, shattered walls and left people badly burned have been attributed to the manufacturing of hash oil.

The explosions are the result of home production of hash oil, a potent marijuana byproduct that is extracted with butane from the plant’s leaves, stems, and seeds, authorities said.

Lt. Paul Garaven of the Tustin Police Department said the do-it-yourself drug is gaining popularity because marijuana has about 15 percent THC, the main intoxicant in marijuana, and hash oil has a THC rating of 30 to 80 percent.

“By extracting and smoking the extracted THC, one can get a more potent dose than smoking only marijuana,” Garaven said, adding that one gram of hash oil sells for $20 to $50. In comparison, a gram of cocaine sells for $40 to $90, a gram of methamphetamine sells for $70 to $80, and a gram of black tar heroin goes for $55 to $100, according to police.

A recent explosion linked to the manufacturing of hash oil, also known as honey oil, took place at a condominium complex in the 1700 block of Mitchell Avenue in Tustin. The damage from the explosion was limited to garages at the complex, but two men were badly hurt. Prosecutors charged Joseph Vincent Severino, 42, and Michael Jon Tyler, 43, with one felony count each of manufacturing a controlled substance. Both men have pleaded not guilty and are expected to be in court for a hearing Nov. 13.

One of the men injured in the explosion suffered “pretty bad burns” and was treated at the Orange County Burn Center at Western Medical Center-Santa Ana.

“His legs are completely burned all the way down to fat,” said Dr. Andrea Dunkelman, director at the Orange County Burn Center. “His hands are not as bad.”

Dunkelman said she has treated at least six patients this year who suffered severe injuries while making hash oil.
“We’ve seen quite a few lately,” Dunkelman said. “I’ve seen methamphetamine lab explosions, but this is the first year I’ve seen honey oil explosions.”

Some of her patients said they watched tutorial videos on YouTube and decided to try it, she said.

But attempting to make honey oil could have serious consequences.
The process of producing the oil involves pouring butane into a pipe filled with marijuana. As the butane passes through the pipe, a honey-like solvent drips out and a heat source is used to separate the highly flammable butane.
The result is a thick yellow-orange oil called hash oil, honey oil, butane honey oil or dabs.

But poor ventilation coupled with an open flame, a cigarette, or an electric switch can instantly ignite the fuel causing an explosion.

“We’ve seen people with first and second degree burns, singed hair and eyebrows,” said Sgt. Randy Sterett of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department bomb squad. “We’ve seen windows blown out of houses and garage doors blown off into the driveway.”

The bomb squad has been called to investigate more than half a dozen THC-related explosions throughout Orange County in the last 18 months.

When “the science is right,” the igniting can cause an explosion, said Greg Jensen, a bomb technician with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

In Anaheim alone, there have been at least two explosions from making hash oil this year:

An explosion rocked an apartment in late March, which prompted a building evacuation, displacement of four residents and the arrest of 23-year-old Stephen Toshiyuki. He has been charged with one count of manufacturing a controlled substance and one count of possession of an assault weapon, both felonies. He pleaded not guilty and is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 21, court records show.

A garage door blew off and windows shattered in a single-story home in the 800 block of South Avocado Street April 18 from a hash oil explosion. There was no fire when police arrived, but witnesses reported the explosion occurred about two hours before the incident was reported to police. No injuries were reported and no arrests have been made, police said.

“We believe more incidents happen than we realize because they are not going to get reported,” Sterett said. “People who are injured in hash oil explosions are probably going to make up a story.”

Following the explosions, Anaheim police officers received information about the dangers of hash oil and the department’s drug recognition experts familiarized officers with the process of extracting honey oil, said Sgt. Bob Dunn of the Anaheim Police Department.

Because hash oil explosions are increasing, the bomb squad shared a bulletin about the dangers of hash oil with law enforcement agencies in Orange County, which includes information on what to be on the look out for.

Hash oil extractors can be misidentified as pipe bomb, Sterett said, adding that they are both dangerous and should be reported.

“The more prevalent marijuana use is, the more likely someone is going to experiment with this,” Sterett said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/oil-532127-hash-explosions.html

Thomas Paine

Veteran
ERL

ERL

Here is some erl I actually did (Super Jack) a while back.

Bowl_of_wax.jpg

Just to show you all I not a "square".

I used to help manufacture it, educated myself to the point of co-investing in a real vacuum purge oven.

I had problems with Synthetic Cannabinoids. This is the same vibe of "stone" to me. I think when the THC/CBD/THCV is this pure, it actually hits the opiod receptors in the brain, not just the CB1 & CB2 receptors. There is evidence in medical pubs that theorize this.

Anywayzzz - I have personally seen this stuff send many people to the hospital with bad overdoses.

At the SF Cannabis Cup 3 years ago (at the Terra Gallery), my friend Odin had a free "dab" bar, where he passed out free dab rig hits to anybody. High Times made him shut the booth down before the first day was over. A bunch of people had severe panic attacks. Some people were nodding out so hard they had to be carried out on a stretcher. I personally witnessed 2 people pass out and start seizing on the concrete (fishing-out like a nitrous hit).

One of the clubs I work at has "free" days every day of the week, on Fridays they used to do free dabs. The stopped doing them because a number of people got tachachardia (heart palpatations) and had panic attacks. One person started seizing so bad the cracked their teeth on the floor, and an ambulance had to be called.

The fist time my roommate did a real dab, out of a full size Moebius rig, with titanium nail, scooper and butane torch, he turned white as a sheet. He started trying to get up out of the chair, but was stuck in a loop - he kept getting up an down, up and down, It was funny at first, but we quickly realized something was wrong. He asked us to take him to the hostpital, he said he was gonna have a heart attack.

I brought him into another room (away from everybody laughing), and gave him some lemonade and a cookie. After a couple hours he was able to leave buy couldn't drive himself home, so he left his car and I drove. He has never dabbed since.

I myself have gone cross eyed after taking dabs and felt physically horrible, sweaty as fuck and about to pass out. Heart pounding out of my chest, thinking I'm gonna die. Of course I can handle it now, shit I smoked pure synthetitcs cannabinoids - but I don't want to feel that ever again, it's scary as fuck. I've had the same feeling form overdosing on edibles and once on Tetra Labs Sublingual Spray... it is a very physical hell, not just a mental one. Too much pure cannabinoid, be it phytocannabinoids or synthetic, can cause overdoses even in the experienced smoker. If you haven't felt that "death-trip" yet, don't worry, you will.

I won't make BHO ever again, and I won't "dab ERL" ever again.

This shit is lab produced (almost) pure cannabinoid medicine - not stuff to be smoked. This is for canna products (pills, topicals, edibles) for people with cancer, severed limbs, broken backs and junkies trying to kick dope.

Weed works for 99% of the world just fine. What particular rare debilitating illness or disease do you all have that warrants using such strong medicine multiple times a day? Are you really THAT sick? Or do you just wanna just get "hella DOPED UP"?

jump117

Veteran
Quote-

"Another danger of “dabbing” cannabis oils is passing out after a particularly strong dose. At a recent conference, there were at least three different emergency calls due to use of high-potency cannabis extracts. One person fainted and cracked his nose on the sidewalk, in another case of woman broke her teeth on the floor."

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Weed works for 99% of the world just fine. What particular rare debilitating illness or disease do you all have that warrants using such strong medicine multiple times a day? Are you really THAT sick? Or do you just wanna just get "hella DOPED UP"?

What particular right do you have to inquire about the substances I put in my body?

I am sorry that you KNOW the pain of opiot addiction, and I am sorry you know the dangers of synthetic cannabis, and I'm sorry you personally have strong negative reaction to BHO.

Despite my genuine concern for your personal addiction issues you have NO RIGHT to infringe on anyone else's freedoms.

You have EVERY RIGHT to speak your mind and give fair warning to me and others, but you hold no right to compel anyone to do anything, or refrain from doing anything.

Your "Hard Drug" warning is heard. I hope my "Don't Tread on Me" reminder of my freedom is heard by you.

:joint:

iBogart

Veteran
Moonshine is illegal for a reason, cannabis concentrates as well. Myself, I've never tried either. Never seen a reason too. I find much more pleasure drinking a pint of a hoppy bitter ale, or smoking a stinky sweet flower out of a hand carved wooden hand pipe. But a crackhead is gonna be a crackhead even without the crack. That's just the way it is.

Like some have suggested earlier; Darwin will sort it out.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
How many deaths from marijuana or concentrates from marijuana? zero. How many people are killed a year from alcohol? Darwin will sort it out yah right Darwin was wrong he even admitted to being wrong on his death bed..

What? I mean you're right concentrates are safe, so really if it was just about health, Darwinian evolution would have to favour Cannabis users over alchohol users.

Though really if we consider things properly then "reproductive fitness" often favours the most promiscuous group rather than the healthiest. I reckon drunk people are more prone to unsafe sex than stoned people (no offence meant to either group).

Now lets deal with Deathbed conversion and recounting his work.

First of all he wasn't an atheist, he grew up being religeous and though he stopped attending church he never went all the way to atheism.

"I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God. – I think that generally ... an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind."
~Charles Darwin

He did however have some thoughts about a creator not being essential:

"It is often said that all the conditions for the first production of a living organism are now present, which could ever have been present. But if (and oh! what a big if!) we could conceive in some warm little pond, with all sorts of ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat, electricity, &c., present, that a proteine compound was chemically formed ready to undergo stillmore complex changes, at the present day such matter would be instantly devoured or absorbed, which would not have been the case before living creatures were formed. "

Allt he stories of him recounting his faith come from "Lady Hope" a woman it's entirely possible he never met, and that his family all said was lying:

From one of Darwin's daughter's:
"I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. I believe he never even saw her, but in any case she had no influence over him in any department of thought or belief. He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier. We think the story of his conversion was fabricated in the U.S.A. The whole story has no foundation whatever."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathbed_conversion#cite_note-16

Then moving on to him being "wrong".

No Biologist, Paleontologist or genetesist disagrees with evolution unless it's for purely religeous reasons.

He had a few weird things that didn't make sense at the time, because he didn't know about Genes, some of those things were already solved but he didn't have access to the answers, some would only be solved when genetics started, decades after his death.

Anyone who has made seeds has seen inheritance, anyone who has carried a line for more than a few generations may have noticed that they, or their grow environment, favour certain plants and so those plants occur more frequently within the population.

There's no scientific reason to think Darwin was wrong, his ideas have been built on and refined and are a corner stone of Biology and explain how selection, both by farmers like us and by nature itself lead to diversion between say... Indica and Sativa, based on what works best in certain environments

Moving on from that:

Can't we leave the legacy of a great scientist alone and focus on the poor excuse for a scientist who blew his house up!

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
I have access to "The Clear".

My friends all make oil, I live in SF. The Clear messes up my lungs as well.

It is not the butane that bugs my lungs, it is concentrated THC oil.

------------

Good luck with your HARD DRUG addiction (hash oil is a hard drug, just like Heroin)

Believe me, if you ever run out you will be hurting BAD. A heavy cannabinoid addiction is a bitch to come off of, esp when weed doesn't work cause your tolerance is messed up.

------------

I guess your gonna tell me this is crap too... "Veganic Strawberry Cough" shatter...

View Image

I'll broker this junky shit, but I won't dab anymore.

Shit is too hardcore, and I hate fucking up my tolerance... I like plain old dank weed and all the flavors and smells that come with it.

-------------

Also, thanks for ruining the environment by throwing all you used cans out everywhere BUT a hazardous waste receptacle. (How many of you just take your used cans to the dump?)

Directly comparing synthetic cannabinoids with actual cannabinoids is quite inaccurate. They behave very differently in your body. Synthetic cannabinoids can actually kill you.

mowood3479

Veteran
As someone who has kicked large dose heroin habits several times and also stopped using bho after prolonged use (several months), i can say the two arent even close to being in the same ballpark. Heroin kicks involve all sorts of torturous shit.. Quitting a high dose thc habit involves mayb some irritability, maybe some trouble sleeping, mayb loss of appetiete.
To compare the two is imo ridiculous.

That being said i do think dabs r unneccasary for 99% of the world but its my opinion that people should be able to put whatever substance they want in there own body..
Not big on government intervention in my personal life/health or well being..

FatherEarth

Veteran
I wasnt comparing heroin to bho. I did relate the feelings to mild opiate withdrawal. I have experienced it to know what its like but never messed with anything as strong as heroin. Taking 30 mg Roxicodone for a month and quit cold turkey is how it felt to me. I cannot deny it has physically addictive qualities, at least for me and others I know. Not something that is going to kill you just uncomfortable. Im not arguing against BHO at all just sharing my own experience with it. Be safe.

Respectfully,

FE

Latest posts

Latest posts