What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST OUTDOOR: 58n typhoon and nanda devi

Hoots

Ah your here, come away in, take a seat and have a pull of the pipe and a wee drop in your glass while I tell you a story of the summer to come.

And what a summer it will be, the lassies will be in their bikinis till november, the midges will only bite the tourists and there will be no caravans on the single track roads,

And the weather, what weather we will be having, the sun will shine in the day and light rain will fall in the night,

And the Autumn, let me tell you of the Autumn, long long dry days where the breeze blows a cool dry air across the hills and the sun will never seem to set as the year goes on,

And the growth and the buds and the resin never seen before in such quantity's, until next year of course!

Well am sure thats how it'll be you have my word on that.

So my first grow outside, I grew once inside six years ago, things changed and are back again so I started an inside grow in January and wandering around the net I see that an impossible dream exists, growing quality marijuana outside in Scotland. It is with great thanks to the Danish, Scottish and Scandinavian growers on this site and there diaries that have inspired me to have ago.

:thank you:

Last edited:

Hoots

I started looking for a spot a month ago, searching in the windblown pine for somewhere hidden, sheltered from the winds and open to the sun.

This is the original spot,

Shouldn't be a problem for red deer but the roe do wander through so I built a wee fence to try to keep them out. Soil is terrible so I have added some top soil, straw, leaves, wool, sheep shit, manure and fish,blood and bone meal. Would have been nice to have done this earlier but there we are. I also plan to mix some compost in just before planting.

Last edited:

Hoots

Hopefully the photos will work here,

A dreaming lizard,

A taste of things to come, larch buds,

I then came across a second spot, the fallen trees have created a corral, possibly more sun than the last spot but less shelter from the wind. The logs make it pretty deer proof ( I hope!) so I just needed to put up some wire at either end. I have been back since these photos to dig a bit more. Deiced to just use some lidl soil improver, manure and fish, blood and bonemeal here and possibly some ash as the peat is a bit thicker than spot1. Will also dig in some compost just before planting. No sign of worms though so might have to round some up and persuade them to move here. Loads and loads of slugs tho.

There are a couple more holes just out of sight as well.

More larch buds(one of my favorite trees)

Hoots

So the plan as it stands is to plant typhoons in spot1 and to make seed with the earliest males. It is the warmer of the two spots but less wind so I am hoping they will finish early enough here to avoid mold.

Spot2 will have some typhoons as well, as much for comparison as anything else. This is also where the Nanda devi will go to. Hopefully more air movement will keep mold away as they will go alot longer.

The Nanda devi is a Himalaya charas landrace which could grow to 3-4m high!!! It is said that 'This Nanda Devi cultivar is from a unique valley high in the mountains and has an earlier finishing time and great mold and cold resistance. Above all these plants are uniquely aromatic and have a lovely soaring high.'

My indoor grow had a selection of these landraces unfortunately most were male, which is just as well because I was left with one Garhwali jungli female which now takes up a scrog just over 1mx1m at about 6weeks flowering along with two mandala#1 and three 8 miles high. They had the same veg time as the jungli but she takes up more room than the rest of them put together.

The nanda devi was one I was keen to try but some were male and one was a ladyboy but all had a delicious mango smell from them.

Really looking forward to seeing them grow outside.

My hope is to cross any early male/female Nandys with the typhoons to have seeds to play with next year. The nandys should handle the weather but finishing I imagine would be pushing it so I hope to take cuttings for inside and collect pollen from the typhoons to make seeds. There is a fair chance that the typhoons will have finished before the nanda devis begin so it will interesting I think.

Here they are,

Planted the 8 nandys 3 days ago, they took 10 days to germinate before. They will get a week or so in the green house but it is not totally safe so once they get a bit recognizable they will get planted out. I hope to start the typhoons in the next week or two and they will get the same treatment. Weather has been good here to this last week so hopefully the frost is gone, still the may gobs to go tho!!!

Hoots

Cheers JGP, the more luck the better I'm thinking!

Well so much for ten days for the nanda devi to germinate. First one was up last night so thats only 3 days. Last time I just put them into seeding compost, this time I gave them an 8 hour soak in water with a tiny drop of seaweed solution and it seems to have speeded things up. Interesting to see if the others come up as quick.

Here she is,

rocket high

Veteran
Good to see another Scot growing outdoors ... are they RSC seeds (excuding the Thyphoon) your growing out ?

Good luck Hoots... ;)

Hoots

Hi Rocket high,

Yes they are RSC landraces. they seem to be full of vigor and life.

I am hoping that given there Himalayan home they should be mold resistant and hopefully cold resistant enough and take the winds here as well. They have such a huge genetic diversity in there make up that hopefully finding one that will grow happily here and finish early enough is a real possibility. Crossing with the typhoon should then make for interesting seeds for next year.

I like the idea of flavorsome handrubbed Scottish charas:smoke:

Hoots

Aye quite excited by the typhoons, they have a really shaggy look to them when they are grown with a bit of space from what I can see in pictures so am looking forward to meeting them in person!

No more nandas have come up yet, hope to start germinating the typhoons next week and will try it on the new moon to see if that helps.

First nandy has been in the greenhouse for a few days, light frost the other night and it got down to 6C in the glass but nanda seems fine with it.

Carried a few more bags of manure and 120L bag of compost up to the site. It was really hot and sunny there which bodes well.

Can't wait to start putting plants in the ground:plant grow:

Hoots

So that was 14 typhoons set up to germinate last night so fingers crossed!

Some good days of sun but a cool breeze, night time temps still low, 1.8C last night, hopefully the heat will start to build a bit in the next few weeks.

The rest of the nanda devis are taking there time, one more came up at the weekend,

And is out in the greenhouse. Another came up yesterday so the rest can't be far behind. Tough thick shells on them, I think they could have taken a longer soak and like the heat up while germinating. Interesting to see how quickly the typhoons hatch.

Heres the first nandy, cool nights are slowing her but she seems happy.

Hoots

Busy, busy - harvest time indoors:groupwave:

Typhoons shot out of the soil, a few took longer, 10 out of 14 came up, heres some photos from a few days ago.

I think I have found out how to make the photos bigger,
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hoots

Excellent the photos worked-better than having to click I think!

First two nanda devis up are growing fine. Three more came up but took ages to germinate. The temps have been a bit cool in the germinating closet at times so I think they stalled out. 5 out of 8 isn't bad but with higher temps I think I would have got all eight to come. Two struggled with keeping there helmets on but are growing fine now.

Two older nandys and one seedling,

picture.php

Oldest nanda with first branch,

picture.php

Nanda seedling who struggled with her seed case,

picture.php

The two oldest nanda devi went in the soil at spot2 on wednesday and had survived the night yesterday fine. Still cool but had some sun, wind, rain and hail since so we will see if they can handle the local conditions.

Spot2
picture.php

Oldest nanda,
picture.php

and the second nanda,

picture.php

I have put 10 more typhoons in to germinate in case and will hopefully get the first typhoons in the soil the end of next week.

Back to the trimming:Bolt:

rocket high

Veteran
Things are moving along nicely Hoots good to see your doing well;) i have a Thredra that struggled with the seed case as well and it looks just like yours i think they'll be alright in a few days :biggrin: .... the weather is up and down at the moment, im hoping its dry tomorrow so i can plant out my autos.

Hoots

Cheers Rocket good luck today with planting out. The weather has turned more like our usual here, every type of weather in 15 minute bursts! Won't get to check my nandas till the beginning of the week so I'm keen to see if they have what it takes. Great feeling putting them into the ground.

Hi smokinweedgi, I'm pleased with how its going and I can't wait to see ganja flowers in the woods:smoke:

I put a little cover of chicken wire over the plants mainly for birds. At spot2 the fallen trees act as a wee fortress with only 2 ways in and I have covered the exits with wire netting so I hope its roe deer proof. The nandys are brave outrunners for the rest of them.

Outside the grow spot I am leaving offerings to the great mother/father slug.

Votive slug offerings,
picture.php

I once worked with an organic farmer (who liked his weed) who planted a separate patch of veg for the rabbits. They never touched his crop only the rabbits patch. Worth a try, the place is hoochin with slugs!

Big Eggy

Veteran
Nice Thread Hoots!

Will be following closely..Makes me feel a little more confident about my grow this year @ 52°N.

Good Luck!

Eggy

Hoots

Cheers Eggy, a wee bit o' luck and we'll all have a happy autumn.

It's felt more like the back end this week. Cold strong winds, lots of rain, and some hard hail showers. On the odd time the suns been out the heat's in it but as soon as the next squall moves in temps drop away again.

Doesn't seem to bother the nanda devis though, they still managed to grow a bit with just the odd rip in their leaves from the hailstones,

Oldest nanda,

picture.php

Nanda B,
picture.php

Planted out the latest nanda on wednesday,

picture.php

Also planted out 9 typhoons on spot2 also on wednseday, they looked a bit bedraggled today after the latest storm but seemed to perk up after the sun got to them for a bit.

Tough plants, on the cloudy dark days you can see some of them twitching there leaves like the old sailing ships tacking to the least amount of wind as they try to search out just a bit more light to grow.

picture.php

picture.php

Don't have enough copper for slug protecters for them all so the typhoons have to make do with mini greenhouses, I have a few more germinating just in case.

Typhoon,
picture.php

picture.php

Still room for a few more,
picture.php

Hopefully get some plants in spot 1 next week. Would be nice to get a few settled days but at least I don't have to worry about watering:)

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Hoots said:
It is with great thanks to the Danish, Scottish and Scandinavian growers on this site and there diaries that have inspired me to have ago.
Sharing is caring .
We´re looking forward to follow your guerilla-grow :cool:

P :smoke: