What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubble hash: Sedimentation?

3chomes

Just wondering if you guys have tried to let the mix sediment after washing your buds for a bit? And for how long? I'm curious to know if there's any quality difference between filterting the water right away versus letting the stuff sediment to the bottom, draining off almost all the water and work with less water at the end. Thanks, sorry if what I'm saying is not clear, let me know.

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
usually the less time the mix sits in the water the better the flavour will be.

probably cause some terpenoids are water soluble.

i usually let it sit for 15-20 min after mixing.

3chomes

trichomefarmer said:
usually the less time the mix sits in the water the better the flavour will be.

probably cause some terpenoids are water soluble.

i usually let it sit for 15-20 min after mixing.

I've been letting the mix sit overnight, anywhere from 8-12hours. Is that too long? The reason I'm doing it is because there's about 80-100L of water to work with per session, but if I let it sediment for said amount of time and drain about 4/5 of it off, there's only 20L of water or so to work with, really speeds up the filtration process. Note: we're not using bubble bags here, we've got our own stacking design. How it compares to the bags, I do not know, I haven't tried them myself. I'm drifting off here, but the main thing, is there degradation of quality if we let it sit in there for so long? So far we haven't noticed much difference in quality but had only run a few sessions this way.

3chomes

trichomefarmer, thanks. I'll try to figure another way to do it, try to vary sedimentation time, I know results will vary. It's just that sedimentation saves a lot of labour when you're dealing with quantity. Anybody else tried it?

3chomes

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, more specifically with installing a tap above where all the good stuff had sedimented, and then just pour out the rest to filter. Do you think installing a tap, say 10-15cm from the bottom of the bucket would suck water out from a lower point in the bucket, and therefore draining off the good stuff as well?

3chomes

The thing is like I said, I'm not using bubblebags, I have my own system where the screens are stacked on top of each other. So I have no bags to pull up. I only have screens where I let the water filter through. It's places in the same order as the bags, bigger holes to catch the plant material on the top and smaller towards the bottom to catch the good stuff. The reason I'm letting the water sit and sediment, is that I can drain off 80% of the water and work with much less water in the end. Why? Because it saves hours of labor. Anyways, does anybody know if I place a tap above the sedimented point, would water just drain out from ABOVE the tap, or will it suction some of the water below it as well? Thanks.

G

your always gonna get some ammount of the sediment depending
even if you were to syphon it off the top. too strong and the current puls in sediment. placing the tap above the sediment point is a pretty good idea.
DEpending on how much water you want to drain and need to drain and usually drain you could place it well above the sediment. Im sure altering the actual shape of said container could help.

these guys are saying lettin it sit for so long is totally the wrong thing to do anyway

3chomes

Thanks for all the input, guys and gals. Really appreciate all your help. If you have any more suggestions, let us know. Stay safe.