What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recommend a good worm supplier?

DTOM420

Can anyone recommend a good worm supplier? I’m looking for Red Wigglers and Alabama Jumpers. I ordered some jumpers from one guy 2 weeks ago and haven’t received anything and communication has stopped. Grrrrr.

Anyone ever order from Uncle Jim’s Worm Farm? They have a sale going but after this last experience I’m gun-shy about ordering from someone that I don’t others have had success with.

Thanks to those that reply!

oldgrayhair

I grabbed 2 lbs of red wigglers off Uncle Jims on Ebay....no issues at all. great worms, fast ship.
HTH- ogh

edit- meant to say that was a bout 2-3 months back.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I ordered red wigglers from Uncle Jim's 4 or 5 years ago. Their descendents are still in my worm bin and soil.

St. Phatty

If you put a mass of worm goodies - manure, banana peel type food scraps, leaves, watered down but not flooded - on the ground, and protect it from the cold, worms will simply move in.

Could be as simple as a cardboard box with the bottom cut out, and the top flaps used to keep out some of the cold.

DTOM420

I just ordered 2000 red compost worms from his website and used coupon code 15NOW and it cost right at $30. With shipping it was $41! Heck, those Alabama jumpers were $35 for 1/2 pound. I did finally get an email this morning saying they would be shipping my Jumpers this week. They are for composting but mainly I want to raise them to have batches to release into our native soil in my in-ground holes and garden beds. They like clay soil and will break it up and make it into a GREAT soil that is root friendly and that can release the vast array of nutrients that are bound up in there.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've found red strugglers in piled up horsepoo

Geeze. Check out the auto-spell correction. Kinda appropriate strugglers.

Last edited:

caliprop215

Veteran
I ordered my Euro night crawlers from Bass pro shop. Very reputable.they had red Wiggler's also. But it was kinda pricey but I had a 50 dollar gift card....

I think I paid 75 bucks for 500 worms

M

metsäkana

how much worm poop will x amoutn of compost make? in x amount of time? :D on x heat

DTOM420

If you put a mass of worm goodies - manure, banana peel type food scraps, leaves, watered down but not flooded - on the ground, and protect it from the cold, worms will simply move in.

Could be as simple as a cardboard box with the bottom cut out, and the top flaps used to keep out some of the cold.

I’m sure that’s the case most places but we just don’t have a lot of worms here. It’s very rare to see them naturally. When I lived in other parts of the country and other parts of the world, I could dig a hole and there would be a worm somewhere. Here, I can dig a 100 foot trench with a shovel and never see a worm. My compost piles, even my oldest and near finished one, has very few (I’ve only seen 3-4) and we’ve had all the moisture we can use, instead of our normal very dry conditions. So, to start some worm composting bins and put some into my current grow pots I didn’t have much choice but to buy them. Jumpers aren’t native here and I want them to help deal with the clay soil in the beds.

DTOM420

Thanks KIS! I’ll try them if my order from Jim’s doesn’t work out.

I ordered my Euro night crawlers from Bass pro shop. Very reputable.they had red Wiggler's also. But it was kinda pricey but I had a 50 dollar gift card....

I think I paid 75 bucks for 500 worms

WHOA! That IS expensive! How’s your worm farm going?

Mine ought to be here early next week. I’m going to be making beds for them this weekend. I’m going to make 3 bins that’ll stay in the house this winter - probably in the room where my grow tent is. 1 will be strictly the Jumpers. The other two will be 1000 red wigglers each. They’ll all get malted barley but I thought to feed one batch with foods high in P & K to see if I can make some castings that are particularly good for flowering.

how much worm poop will x amoutn of compost make? in x amount of time? :D on x heat

Here’s something I copied from another site. Now, they’re selling worms so I’m counting on these numbers to be ‘under the best of conditions’ and very inflated. Lol! But heck, if you did only half of these numbers, it’s a lot cheaper than buying them! AND there’s the potential to make more than you need and possibly sell the excess castings/worms to cover some other growing costs or barter for veggies from other gardeners. Here’s the quote:

”How much Black Gold (Compost) will 1,000 composting worms create for me?

Our 1,000 count of Red composting worms can create between 8 and 16 ounces of compost per day!

But wait, there’s more! These worms double in population every three months, so as your worm population grows, the amount of Black Gold that they can create will grow as well. A year from introducing your 1,000 composting worms into your bin, you should now have 16,000 composting worms, which will create 8-16 pounds of composter per day!”

Smith111

I like uncle jims worm farm. Best prices if you shop around, and they always come healthy. Been ordering from them for 10 years.

caliprop215

Veteran
Thanks KIS! I’ll try them if my order from Jim’s doesn’t work out.

WHOA! That IS expensive! How’s your worm farm going?

Mine ought to be here early next week. I’m going to be making beds for them this weekend. I’m going to make 3 bins that’ll stay in the house this winter - probably in the room where my grow tent is. 1 will be strictly the Jumpers. The other two will be 1000 red wigglers each. They’ll all get malted barley but I thought to feed one batch with foods high in P & K to see if I can make some castings that are particularly good for flowering..

All I did was throw about 50 per 100 gallon pot. If I pull a shovel load out there is worms in each shovel.....

White Beard

Red wrigglers go for a couple bucks a quart at a store not half-mile from here
Only kids fish with earthworms - they’re worthwhile to put some in your compost, they’ll eat it and turn it into soils, aka worm castings

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Red wrigglers go for a couple bucks a quart at a store not half-mile from here
Only kids fish with earthworms - they’re worthwhile to put some in your compost, they’ll eat it and turn it into soils, aka worm castings
Earthworm is just a generic term for worms that live in the earth or on top of it. Nightcrawlers specifically, one of the most common bait worms, are soil eaters. They will dig tunnels and bring organic matter deeper into the soil, but they are not gonna break larger stuff down into compost. Red wigglers, which are too small to be a proper bait worm, are composting worms that eat organic matter and break it down into compost. Also wigglers go for ~25$ for 16 ounces, so if you can buy them for a couple dollars for a quart, you could make easy money reselling them. If you can guarantee the worm type and they will stay alive in transit.

zif

Veteran
Pet stores are another good walk-in option. Got my red wrigglers at one for a couple of bucks years ago and they’re still going strong.