What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine House overturns governor's veto of marijuana bill

Greencraft

Any news on new caregiver law will the legislature override the govenors veto or are they
going to keep playing games ?

CaptnCrunch

On the rec side decreasing the plant count for home grows (if the person wants to follow the law) kind of forces them to buy from a retailer which will benefit the businesses and the state. I guess that was the plan all along.

Greencraft

I agree looks like the big money players and the state will reap the benefits of so called
"Legalization". To bad we had the best medical program in the country . Also going to hurt the small growers in the Maine who are just trying to make ends meet and support a family.

yardgrazer

If they're going to tax the hell out of retail cannabis I suspect they'll find the gray/black market will keep going.

Mr Blah

Ding! Ding! Ding! all last three post hit on the head.

I remember some people mentioning that yrs ago and they are right.

Prices are way down and will go further as I can see until it will get better. The people with the deepest pockets will survive in the legal market.

Black market...well..we all know will live and prosper.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Legal pot had to start somewhere. With Massachusetts and Canada for neighbors big money can't dominate for very long. Low plant count and high retail only encourages the black market. California black market prices have come down to the $1200 area.

There's allot of woods in Maine.

Mr Blah

There's a lot of warehouses as well hiding behind the caregiver name. Without the state man power to stop police them the average small legal grower is priced out of a job.

IMO it will/should get worse before it gets better. 1200 is a great price right now.

Greencraft

I think there will be less caregivers out there in the coming year alot of gear out there for sale and fully operational grow ops for sale too. Maybe prices will stabilize but not for a while .

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
There's a lot of warehouses as well hiding behind the caregiver name. Without the state man power to stop police them the average small legal grower is priced out of a job.

IMO it will/should get worse before it gets better. 1200 is a great price right now.

1200 for what? High grade?

I don’t think your going to see price ever trend upwards again. You have to be creative and have a hell of a good plan to survive in the future. Most of the people that jumped in the last five years are jumping out. Real farmers are and will survive we did it for ourselves and profit became a side effect.

Mr Blah

I don’t think your going to see price ever trend upwards again. You have to be creative and have a hell of a good plan to survive in the future. Most of the people that jumped in the last five years are jumping out. Real farmers are and will survive we did it for ourselves and profit became a side effect.
I hear ya URB, I just got a job and now not so dependent on the sole income of the grow to support family and operational needs.

Still growing, but more as an art and hobby.

CaptnCrunch

Potato farmers up here faced a similar situation years back, and basically were forced into 3 choices.
Go big and grab their share of the pie
Cut overhead and find a niche market
Get out of the game

Greencraft

Aint that the truth growers have to find there niche to survive

the changing market .

I really think In a few years the bho and distillate trend will be deemed unhealthy. It’s very much untested in long term side effects, and it’s basically mimicking a pharmaceutical grade product. People into rosin are going to kill it in the organic community. Also pure outdoor farmers say 2-3000 sqf can still make money at 300-800 a lb. You just gotta act like a farmer. After our outdoor season this year we offer 3$ grams at our shop and have grams of rosin starting at 15$. We also broker good outdoor grown in the state if anyone is in that position.

corners

How is this law better than what was in place? You realize this law removed social clubs, home delivery, internet sales, as well as changed the amount of flowering plants from 6 to 3?

The only good in this law was to start allowing retail storefront sales, .

And we still dont have sales. This law was very bad for the people of maine.

corners

If they're going to tax the hell out of retail cannabis I suspect they'll find the gray/black market will keep going.

I think that's part of the point of it. Its throwing a bone to law enforcement. They can keep on arresting people for petty crap and some people can grow